Oil & Lubrication  

Motor Oil Recipe Chart

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Shell's new GTL plant in Qatar is producing Group III+ base oil for the Ultra line of motor oils. Shell claims that they are using it excessively and not selling on the open market. While Group III is not "real synthetic" by some folks definition, this is not made from distilled crude, but synthesized from natural gas. Waxes and base oils are a byproduct of diesel/jet production.

Looking down further on the website, the tests of ATF show a surprise player in the US market, the Russian oil company Lukoil. Reading the label, it looks like Getty sold its retail marketing division.
I just wish my local wal-mart would get the Pennzoil Ultra in the 5 qt jugs. All they seem concerned about giving shelf space too around here is Mobil 1 synthetic, Pennzoil yellow bottle and valvoline white bottle. The rest come and go.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Well PQIA has done 2 more rounds of testing on synthetics & posted up the results.

In the first round of tests they posted a NOAK of something like 6.6% for Pennzoil Ultra, the lowest by far, BUT Pennzoils PDS shows a number about twice that, at 11.9-12.6% depending on the multi-viscosity chosen, so I wonder what gives with those numbers being off That far???? http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/u...icMotorOil.pdf

Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
pawpaw
Did a lot of searching today after contacting PQIA about their NOACK numbers for Pennzoil Ultra & Platinum & they said they were confident of their NOACK values & suggested that there may be more TDS sheets floating around out there for the Pennzoil products & they were right, here is a link to a May-2012 TDS that's very close to PQIA NOACK numbers. http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...1207271344.pdf EDIT: This is the TDS for the SN Ultra recipe. Yup Pennzoil is that far behind on keeping their TDS website up to date!!!!

SN 5W-30 = 6.4% & that's impressive.

NOACK has become important to me, as two of my vehicles suddenly began to consume oil as soon as I began to use the SN recipe of my long used brand, that I'd never had consumption problems with before. Suspecting its NOACK had increased, I was able to confirm on PQIA that it had indeed increased to 15.5% & retested at 15.1%, so I began a search for an affordable low NOACK crank case lube.
What I discovered on PQIA was that many dino SN recipe lubes NOACK had gone up, many in the high 14% range, so I had problems finding an Affordable lube with a significantly lower NOACK % evaporation figure to test with.

Now with PQIA & the newer SOPUS May 2012 data sheets test confirmation & the rebate Pennzoil is offering, I know what brand those two vehicles are gonna get on their up comming summer OCI!!!!! We'll see if a lower NOACK lube fixes their consumption problems, bet it does!!!!!

SO, again, any of you out there with hot running engines, be sure to check your crank case lube level often, as a lot of the SN recipies have a higher NOACK % evaporation & you sure don't want to run an engine low because the oil evaporated & got low. Caught mine in time, but sure was surprised they both were down 1/2 qt & not even half way through their OCI!!!!!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM
pawpaw
BUMP!!!!

Originally Posted by pawpaw
BUMP:

Well here comes MOM, guess PQIA with it's reports has finally blasted API off dead center to do something better about policing licensed product quality, from source to end user. At API, Motor Oil Really Matters
Update: MOM says that over the past 5 Years, 20% of bulk oil Still doesn't meet specs, some are seriously short, some not so serious. One in Five Bulk Oils Bad

If after 5 years, 20% of those places sampled Still don't meet spec, it would seem that MOM isn't having much positive influence improving the quality of bulk oil, so those who use bulk motor oil in your vehicles, or fleet, sure need to make sure that your distributor, or installer is providing what you expect & are paying for!!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 11:39 AM
pawpaw
5w-20 PCMO Test Comparison

PQIA is beginning to focus on the expanding use of 5w-20 in a wider range of newer engines, so it has begun a series of VOA tests on that viscosity, like done on 5w-30 a few years ago & here is a link to side by side comparisons of some different manufactures 5w-20 offerings, NOACK concerns are found, bet more tests are to come. The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

EDIT: If you are having useage problems with what your using, look up its NOACK/% evaporation figure & if you don't know the number, or can't find it published in the manufacturers PDS, call their hot line & request the value. Many SN service grades of 5W-20 & 30 are running up there at or above the max 15% value, so if you suspect you may have NOACK % evaporation useage problems, look up your lubes NOACK value & if high, maybe consider using a recipe with a lower Noack % evaporation number & see how useage goes.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 PM
pawpaw
Second Round 5W-20 VOA Tests

PQIA has posted the second round of 5W-20 VOA tests & more brands show high NOACK % evaporation at, or over 15% including Motorcraft & one, Valvolene Next Gen tested well out of spec around 18%, but Pennzoil had a stellar low of around 6%, so it says something about the base oils being used in SN recipe lubes. Looks like Pennzoil may be putting their Pearl gas to liquid Group lll+ to good use. So again, if any of you are using a 5W-20 in a hot running engine, keep a close watch on your engines oil level during your oci. The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
PQIA has posted the second round of 5W-20 VOA tests & more brands show high NOACK % evaporation at, or over 15% including Motorcraft & one, Valvolene Next Gen tested well out of spec around 18%, but Pennzoil had a stellar low of around 6%, so it says something about the base oils being used in SN recipe lubes. Looks like Pennzoil may be putting their Pearl gas to liquid Group lll+ to good use. So again, if any of you are using a 5W-20 in a hot running engine, keep a close watch on your engines oil level during your oci. The Petroleum Quality Institute of America
If those results are accurate so much for considering Pennzoil yellow bottle a "conventional" oil.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 PM
pawpaw
Well we'd have to include Quaker State too, as their 5w-20 NOACK % evaporation tested very low also!!!!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Well we'd have to include Quaker State too, as their 5w-20 NOACK % evaporation tested very low also!!!!
Agreed. If they are using gtl in these oils and continue doing so, it could be a real game changer.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 PM
pawpaw
They are flush with GTL GPlll+ right now, so who knows what kind of curve EXXON/Mobil will throw at the market, but if we consumers can manage to keep an eye on whats going on, we sure can come by some good quality lubes for not too much of our gold. But unless we can manage a VOA on what we're buying, or find some other way to keep tabs on what the lube manufacturers are doing, it could go away as fast as it appeared & we might not know the difference!!!

If I had an engine that began consuming 5W-20 oil after the SN/GF-5 recipe hit the market & found that its NOACK had gone up, either of those two, or Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, with their Noack below 10% would be four good ones to consider trying, to see if increased NOACK is the problem, as consumption should drop if it was.

I'm doing such on 5w-30 in three of my rides right now, as the NOACK had gone up to 15.5, retested to 15.1% on my long time used brand lube, as soon as their SN/GF-5 recipe hit the market!!!!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 PM
pawpaw
PQIA has posted the third round of 5W-20 SN virgin oil analisis results here. The Petroleum Quality Institute of America