1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Pump???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump???

It started a few weeks ago. I was on the way to fuel up at the station about 7 miles away, both tanks about 1/4 full. About 2 miles away the fuel filter light comes on (I just changed it in November and have maybe 500 miles on it). I figure I better change it when I get back. I end up down to 20mph about a mile away, called the wife to pick me up to get a filter while I'm limping along. I get to the station and kick it up to high idle to keep it running. I fill both tanks and notice the filter light is off. I rev it up and no light. I told the wife I'm going to try to get back home. I get 2 miles away and it totally de-fuels. We get the filter, screw it in and try to fire it (filter looked alright). After being dry it took quite a bit, but we did get it going. The next day my wife was going to fire it up and couldn't get it going. I plugged it in and an hour later it finally fired. I put it on high idle and it defueled again right in the driveway. I put the second filter we bought and after a while it did fire. The filters are in no way dirty at all, they are stained from fuel, but that is it. I cleaned the FPR screen and it had a little bit of stuff but not much. The other day I had an errand to run, about 14 miles total. When I would leave the driveway or a corner under power the fuel filter light comes on, when at cruise it goes off. I got home that day with no issues. Today I went to pick up a new Dryer about 20 miles away 40 miles round trip. It did the same thing untill I was 10 miles from home on the interstate. The light came on at 75mph and i felt it hesitate. I pulled into a rest area and it cleared, again reved it up again and again. I started out again and it de-fueled on me. When it does this I unscrew the filter and it hisses releasing the suction. I screwed in a new filter anyway and finally got it started. The light came on within 1000' of taking off again. When i got home it will still idle for hours with no problem, I have even took it above 2000rpm and held it there for 10 minutes, no problem. Take off out of the driveway and within feet the filter light is on. I put it on the lift and blew back through the back tank and could hear it gurgle really well through both lines (supply and return). Took it on the road and it did the same thing. I can change tanks and it does it either way. I had changed the pump around 2 years ago due to it leaking. It isn't leaking now, but this is the only thing I can think of right now. Fresh oil change also with the oil brand I have been using since I've owned it. I can see crud in one tank, but both at the same time? It did this before I fueled so I'm saying no to bad fuel at the station. Weather has been above 40° the 1st time and well above 50 the past times, plus I use the white bottle of power service regularly. I hate to waste the coin on a new pump if this doesn't sound like it. This also was the 1st time I've refueled it since November as I use it for plowing and the seldom errands now and again. Long winded I know, but I had to explain what I've been through. I would LOVE any advice to get me back my problem free ride again.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to check your fuel pressure under the fpr and repost. next time it does it unplug your MAP wiring connection and allow the pcm to use a default. If the truck smooths out the MAP is either bad or your hose to it is fouled orhte sensor it self is dirty. You should have some codes set too, I would check for codes before proceeding.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Originally Posted by DRRXR
You need to check your fuel pressure under the fpr and repost. next time it does it unplug your MAP wiring connection and allow the pcm to use a default. If the truck smooths out the MAP is either bad or your hose to it is fouled orhte sensor it self is dirty. You should have some codes set too, I would check for codes before proceeding.
I tried briefly to get the psi reading, but I only have 1 gauge that would fit and it didn't get a reading. I'll try that tomorrow. The only way I could get codes is from the superchips programmer. I have p0470, p0236, p1212, p0113. You lost me on the MAP, where is that or the sensor? Usually it runs with just the light coming on, then goes off, but I can't ever tell when it will fall on its face.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
p0470 is your EBPV sensor. i suspect you have it unplugged
p0236 is Turbo Boost Sens A Circ Perf dont know bout this one. i have never seen it sorry
p1212 is saying you ICP vlt. Not at Expected Level may want to check into this unless ICP mod
p0113 is Intake Air Temp High Output. if you have diff intake this may be it
except for the Boost Sens and ICP everything looks norm. cause i get the 470 and 113. if your pump is faulty it will be leaking. although im trying to diagnose the hard long starts. sorry i dont have much helpful info. im thinking though

Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Originally Posted by JethroF250
p0470 is your EBPV sensor. i suspect you have it unplugged
p0236 is Turbo Boost Sens A Circ Perf dont know bout this one. i have never seen it sorry
p1212 is saying you ICP vlt. Not at Expected Level may want to check into this unless ICP mod
p0113 is Intake Air Temp High Output. if you have diff intake this may be it
except for the Boost Sens and ICP everything looks norm. cause i get the 470 and 113. if your pump is faulty it will be leaking. although im trying to diagnose the hard long starts. sorry i dont have much helpful info. im thinking though
The 3 long hard starts were because at that point it decided to starve itself for fuel. I just can't figure it out. I drove 20 miles out, only time the light came on is when I would get on to it. I decided to take the interstate back since I made it on the back roads out. Holding it at a steady 75 mph, then it decides to dry up the fuel bowl. I'm beside myself to figure this one out. I can go out right now and it will fire right up and idle all night.....I don't get it. I should know what ICP stands for, but I have to ask......

Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
Injection Control Pressure. basically it controls the electric current to the injectors thus telling them what pressure to operate at. if you up the resistance then it ups the injection pressure. ICP Mod is what you want to search for in this forum

Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 AM
walt1968
Senior User
Originally Posted by JethroF250
Injection Control Pressure. basically it controls the electric current to the injectors thus telling them what pressure to operate at. if you up the resistance then it ups the injection pressure. ICP Mod is what you want to search for in this forum
No ICP mod on this truck. I'm wondering if running it out of fuel would pop that code....it's happened 3 times now in 4 times of driving it.

Even though I blew back through the line into the tank, Wondering if I should just drop a tank and have a look?? Apparently you both seem to think it isn't the fuel pump and quite honestly that is fine with me as it sucks to get to.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 AM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
well in theory if the pump is bad it is going to leak. and it doesnt make since that it runs fine then acts like it defuels. thats what is throwing me off. i would drop the tanks and have a look. the defuel deal that your describing almost seems like the truck is gettin clean fuel and when the tanks start gettin agitated at higher speeds it knocks some crud around and gets sucked up. and i dont know if this is true but its a shot. if my memory serves me correctly i think theres a very small filter type deal on the end of the sending unit in the tank. so supposing it is wired up to throw a light when it is clogged that would make since. the crud settles to the bottom then you drive it, it gets sucked up to the sending unit, thus clogging it up and throwing the light. i hope this is right cause im out of ideas. good luck buddy

Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harpoon

If your dropping the tanks you may as well do the harpoon mod. Did you prime the lines after blowing them back? How much fuel in the tanks. My fron tank runs dry a hair above E and the rear tank runs dry just under a 1/4 of a tank. Been that way for 4 yrs now.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Didn't catch the post on the "harpoon mod" before I dropped the front tank (brand new 2 years ago). There was a very little bit of sediment, but nothing unusual and the tank was very clean inside. The screen was as good as new. I dried out the tank and proceeded to go to the fuel station (ligth came on just away from the driveway). I just made it there limping down the road 1-2 miles away and fueled up (7 Gallons). I flipped it to that tank and barely made it home. I had to pull over and idle until it came back to normal about 4 times. I got it in the driveway and pulled in front of the garage where it stopped dead. I unscrewed the filter and again the sucking noise as I unscrewed the filter and again it looks perfect. The fuel level in the bowl was low, about an inch. I screwed the filter back in and it fired immediately, but died again. The filter is full now, but I have to crank it to get the air out now. Seems if I release the pressure it come back to where it should be? I'm just beside myself!!!! Again I let it idle (high idle) this a.m. for 1-1/2 hours with not a skip and the filter light did not come on.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Originally Posted by DRRXR
If your dropping the tanks you may as well do the harpoon mod. Did you prime the lines after blowing them back? How much fuel in the tanks. My fron tank runs dry a hair above E and the rear tank runs dry just under a 1/4 of a tank. Been that way for 4 yrs now.
They both were full. I syphoned off 15 gallons and let it idle for 10 minutes. When I took the tank out there was only maybe a gallon in there, so it will take it further than I would take it normally. I didn't prime the lines, but that was last night and it still wasn't an issue this a.m.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:27 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Finally got it fired back up....again it runs like a champ. I took it for a very quick spin to get the filter light to come on. Pulled into my driveway and shut it off. I unscrewed the filter and the hissing was again present and the filter was pretty low with fuel. I screwed the filter back in and fired it up. The filter light never came on. I shut it off and checked the fuel level which is where it should be.

I think I might purchase a new pump. Is it possible that it is under performing? I don't get releasing the pressure though or suction I should say.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:50 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Are there any screens or filters that I'm missing that could be cleaned?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
My fuel pump never leaked a single drop when the high pressure part of it failed. they leak if the lift pump part fails. if youve got no fuel pressure while its idling, you probably need a new pump.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
walt1968
Senior User
Tomorrow night I think I will undo the rubber hoses from the filter to the pump, then blow some air in it to make sure there is no real restriction maybe causing my problems (reaching here). If the air goes through well I guess I will order the pump. Sound like a good idea?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump???