1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OK, This IS Stupid - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
OK, This IS Stupid - any ideas?

HI Guys,

Have you ever had one of those frustrating little thing happen that you can't figure out how to fix. I've got one.

The nut holding on my steering wheel has loosened up a dash (or the wheel has settled a bit). And now the horn button cup spins (along with the button).

I can't get the horn button off to tighten up the nut because it just turns. There has to be a simple solution, but in my frustration, I'm not seeing it!

Any ideas?

Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I thought that horn button just "snapped" off?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:16 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
I'd try holding down on one side of the wheel to bind things up - the nut sits on the bottom of the cup, then while holding tension on it, push the cap down and turn ccw about 1/2" good luck!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
So save this unread until nothing better comes along, my horn button is long gone so I have no idea but that has never been much of a problem on this site. A thin thin screwdriver jammed hard under the button into the cup to hold it? OR drill a small hole from the bottom of the steering wheel to jam something up into the cup? Told you to wait!

Last edited by Old F1; 03-13-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Break the button, tighten nut, replace with new button.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 PM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe have someone hold the wheel up (against the nut) and then you twist off the horn button.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:22 AM
t900enforcer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cup has two tabs on the bottom that will fit into the threaded holes in the steering wheel that are used to pull it off. It seesm that if you rotate the horn button assembly until the two tabs rest tin the holes you should be able to push down while turning and the cup should be held stationary but the tabs in the threaded holes.

Good Luck!!
T900

Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
confused

I'm confused Julie, I thought you knew everything about these old trucks and I'm not saying that in a bad way, with all the knowledge you post on this site I thought you would at least be the first one to TOOT YOUR HORN, HA HA..........

Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
(spoken in a voice from south of the border)

aaaiiieeeee! heeet it with a torch then heeet it with a hammer.....

I think Mike's suggestion would be the quickest, easiest and least intrusive. Pull back on the wheel and try to put some tension on it.

Good luck, I hate when those little things get the better of you
Bobby

Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
I thought that horn button just "snapped" off?
It pushes in and twists on and off. It is held in place by a spring wire that is mounted on the cup so if the cup can turn, you can't push and twist it off, the whole thing just spins.

Originally Posted by t900enforcer
The cup has two tabs on the bottom that will fit into the threaded holes in the steering wheel that are used to pull it off. It seesm that if you rotate the horn button assembly until the two tabs rest tin the holes you should be able to push down while turning and the cup should be held stationary but the tabs in the threaded holes.

Good Luck!!
T900
Unfortunately the new cups do not have the tabs - they are smooth on the bottom.

Originally Posted by homade
I'm confused Julie, I thought you knew everything about these old trucks and I'm not saying that in a bad way, with all the knowledge you post on this site I thought you would at least be the first one to TOOT YOUR HORN, HA HA..........
I do, I was just testing you guys to see if you knew the answer! (Oh brother!)

So, I got it fixed today. And Old F1 is the winner. I had to grab the horn button with channel locks and rip it off! I have another one.

But, in the course of putting it back together, I cut a screw to fit in the steering wheel puller hole. Then I drilled a hole in the cup for the screw to fit through. Finally, put the nut on the wheel and tightened it down. This way if it comes loose again, the screw will prevent the cup from turning!

Here's a pic:

Name:  Horn Button Repair 1.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  Horn Button Repair 2.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  137.2 KB

Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
MP&C
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Julie, is that the correct speedometer for your truck? It looks like a 61-66 version just glancing at the above picture. But then, I haven't had any coffee this morning, I may still be asleep from the time change.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Julie.....I knew you could do it. Channel locks made in Meadville,Pa , and I sold them lots of machine tools in the 80s.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MP&C
Julie, is that the correct speedometer for your truck? It looks like a 61-66 version just glancing at the above picture. But then, I haven't had any coffee this morning, I may still be asleep from the time change.
Yes it is, They are still made BTW and you can buy a new one if need be. C&G, Carpenter, LMC, MACs, all carry them. They were used on another type of Ford truck until the early 70s

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
Julie.....I knew you could do it. Channel locks made in Meadville,Pa , and I sold them lots of machine tools in the 80s.
I love my truck! "Get a bigger hammer" still works sometimes!