Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum, Excursion MPG increase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:23 PM
R_Mckeaveney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum, Excursion MPG increase?

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum. Ive got a V-10 Excursion and am looking for the best way to increase my MPGs. I dont drive it much, but when I do its for long recreational trips.

I did some unsuccesfull searches and was hoping someone could get me a link as Im sure this has been discussed hundreds of times.

I also welcome anyones discussion, advice or experience. Im not looking to discuss how PSDs are better than V-10 or vice versa. But if you want to tell me how awsome your excursion is, Im all for that.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by R_Mckeaveney
Hey guys,

Im new to the forum. Ive got a V-10 Excursion and am looking for the best way to increase my MPGs. I dont drive it much, but when I do its for long recreational trips.

I did some unsuccesfull searches and was hoping someone could get me a link as Im sure this has been discussed hundreds of times.

I also welcome anyones discussion, advice or experience. Im not looking to discuss how PSDs are better than V-10 or vice versa. But if you want to tell me how awsome your excursion is, Im all for that.
If you have E-rated tires put them at 80 psi. Significantly over sized tires hurt mpg's too! Install a CAI, and an exhaust that may get you 1 mpg? I have not heard many Ex V10 owners that have found significant mpg's increases using any of the popular mods. In most gassers I have owned it hard to gain much with programmers, CAI and exhaust systems. They will ad some power but not any large gain in mpgs!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 AM
R_Mckeaveney
New User
Originally Posted by scottman70
If you have E-rated tires put them at 80 psi. Significantly over sized tires hurt mpg's too! Install a CAI, and an exhaust that may get you 1 mpg? I have not heard many Ex V10 owners that have found significant mpg's increases using any of the popular mods. In most gassers I have owned it hard to gain much with programmers, CAI and exhaust systems. They will ad some power but not any large gain in mpgs!

Thanks Scott,

I was hoping for some better news, anyone have anything to add?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Bottom line is that if your concerned about MPG's then you shouldn't have a V10!!
The Diesel option would have been better.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with the previous poster. don't buy a V10 8000lb truck if you want good gas mileage. with that said I have read here that several folks have seen an improvement with 5 star tuning done on their V10's

but as the Ex is twice the weight of most cars you should double your MPG results to create a fair comparison... Some of the Gasser folks are pretty close to Diesel guys on the MPG's empty but throw 10 or 20K lb on the back and this is where the diesel really shines...

Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
What? 20k?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:42 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
What? 20k?
see this thread an also post# 56 I was pulling over 20K
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ictures-2.html

Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
There are some options for the V10: the best one is tuning from 5-star tuning. Mike knows his stuff and has V10 and 5.4 owners singing his praises. When you add the y-pipe, headers, a flowmaster muffler, and/or a CAI to his already awesome programming, you get more out of it. You may not realize the 2-5 mpg increase diesels do, but you'll get atleast 1-2 mpg more consistentely than anything.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Ex03AK
Senior User
Originally Posted by R_Mckeaveney
Hey guys,

Im new to the forum. Ive got a V-10 Excursion and am looking for the best way to increase my MPGs.
Welcome to FTE!

You've come to the right place for your questions. I joined back in July 2009 so I could ask the very same question, only I was also looking for a little more HP & torque for pulling my travel trailer, and hopefully helping my MPGs in the process.

I have done hours of reading on here and my conclusion is there are 4 areas you can modify to help your MPGs. Even then, you will be doing really good if you get +2 highway MPGs.

1. Cold Air Intake - Many brands are out there but the v-10 guys in FTE generally agree that Volant works well. A few say the CAI is useless because the stock intake is sufficiently large enough to take in all the air needed. There is also a Zoodad mod you can search for in the forum. I got the CAI because I will never have to wonder, "What if...?"

2. Exhaust - Most that go down this road have installed a free flowing muffler and/or a y-pipe replacement made by SPD Performance. The stock cat converter flows well and except for the y-pipe, the piping on the exhaust system is 3" mandrel bent, so there aren't really any improvements to be had there. For my muffler, I wanted mild sound with the increased flow. I chose the Flowmaster 70 Big Block II because it's big enough to handle the heat output and doesn't create drone in the cab. There are others out there that will fit your noise level tolerance. I didn't need the y-pipe mod because my headers will replace the y-pipe as part of the header kit. You can find more info on the y-pipe if you search this forum or Google it.

3. Tuner - The v-10 owners here swear by the SCT X3 tuner along with custom tunes from Mike @ 5-Star Tuning. There are many testimonies in favor of them. You will probably find that canned factory tunes don't meet your specific needs. 5-Star will work with you on tweaking your tunes until you are satisfied.

4. Headers - Unless you also need more torque, I wouldn't buy headers solely to help MPGs. However, headers will slightly help MPGs as a by-product of the increased torque. Here you will run into shorties versus long-tubes. Which one you go with depends on your pocketbook and the RPM range you want more torque in. Longs are generally more expensive and help in a broader RPM range than shorties. Shorties help more in the higher RPMs, which is where you need the torque the most when you tow heavy loads with the v-10.

It is generally agreed that throttle body spacers don't help at all.

I've finished the first 3 mods I listed and I have the headers on order. Unfortunately, I have no personal MPG data to give you because I live in Alaska and I've been installing these mods over this winter. I can't even mash the gas for a couple seconds due to ice and snow on the roads from October through April. I'm chomping at the bit for the summer so I can get out on the road and see what the mods have done for me.

Hope this helps narrow your search a bit.

Good luck and happy modding,
Stew

Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by soutthpaw
see this thread an also post# 56 I was pulling over 20K
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ictures-2.html
How dare that fool place lives on the line like that! Jeez mine takes a long time to stop with 11K behind it! Sorry not trying to get off subject, just in disbelief that someone could care less about the safety of others like that? Those kind of people should be thrown in jail and beaten! I broke my hitch with 11K behind me!

Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by soutthpaw
I'm with the previous poster. don't buy a V10 8000lb truck if you want good gas mileage. with that said I have read here that several folks have seen an improvement with 5 star tuning done on their V10's

but as the Ex is twice the weight of most cars you should double your MPG results to create a fair comparison... Some of the Gasser folks are pretty close to Diesel guys on the MPG's empty but throw 10 or 20K lb on the back and this is where the diesel really shines...
Gotta agree here, a 8K SUV with a V10 and having mpg concerns is quite puzzling? I almost bought a V10.....whew!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
In my opinion, getting a 1 mpg is not worth the expense of all those modifications. It may be worthwhile if you drive it every day, but for towing from time to time....

For what it's worth, if your Ex has a 4.30 axle ratio, you could improve your MPG by going to a 3.73. Towing would tougher.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
How dare that fool place lives on the line like that! Jeez mine takes a long time to stop with 11K behind it! Sorry not trying to get off subject, just in disbelief that someone could care less about the safety of others like that? Those kind of people should be thrown in jail and beaten! I broke my hitch with 11K behind me! What a freaking moron!
Well I am going to take issue with your statement. First off as I don't drink alcohol, So I am safer than every person that goes to a bar or restaurant and has a drink or two and gets in their vehicle believing their judgment and reaction time is not impaired. Or the countless people who drive around talking on their cell phone while driving. I have brakes on all 6 wheels on my trailer and can stop in the same or probably shorter distance with the trailer than without it.. I drive slower, allow much more following distance and stop regularly to check the load and vehicle. Turn the lightbar on if I am traveling significantly slower than the flow of traffic, I also have inspected my hitch and there is no cracks or other problems... If you have read my previous threads you will see I have made multiple improvements to my towing setup...
That said I don't see where you come off with all the name calling. Its not the type of weight I usually tow either with this truck... If you want to talk about unsafe towing lets get real, how about the 90% of folks that rent trailers from U-haul with no brakes or surge only brakes which give you no way to arrest sway... these same folks have no idea what trailer sway is, its cause or how to minimize it, I bet 50% overload those trailers.... Then you got all those folks towing 1 car with another using a tow bar and zero trailer brakes... I've been to many auto auction s and see this every time, The Mexicans come up and buy a bunch of POS cars, take the front bumper of one and the rear of the other and bolt on some mickey mouse tow bar accessory and then tow these cars hundreds of miles to the border.. Further more I bet none of them have insurance on any of those vehicles...
Please a bit more consideration before you start name calling and making wild accusations...

Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Are you defending the position that towing 20K behind an Excursion is safe? Come on now?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 PM
05ExcursionatorCA
Junior User
I agree withm jh818 that says its not worth the money to get 1 mpg, but keep track of your tire psi, fluid levels, remove extra heavy items, and drive like your grandma, simple and free advise that will give you the optimum mpg. Me on the other hand, 98% of the time i drive alone in the truck, its my daily transportation device, i don't care about the mpgs too much because I know that the stats are depressing, I don't like to drive slow, and keep useless crap in the truck just incase im gonna need them, I knew exactly what I was buying, concerning the mpgs (even though the stats were saying 12 city and 16 fastway)

Hey, just enjoy the Ex for what it is, a thirsty hog. It's a toy that my wife hopes I never bought because of the endless possibilies and easy access to ebay. I love ebay.

Quick Reply: New to the forum, Excursion MPG increase?