1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long vs. short bed on crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Wow, this is almost as good as the Gas v. Diesel debates! Okay, so I'll stick my .02 in. Having just recently graduated from a CC shortbed to a CC longbed (I got the longbed more because of the deal on the truck rather than a personal preference), I will say that while a foot and a half doesn't sound like much, it is when turning tight, like my driveway. I have to maneuver between a couple of mailboxes (big brick things on the street). It is probably not as tight as it seems, but you know how perception is! I don't have any problem with it, but it sure looks a lot closer than with the short bed.

Now, that being said, it's just a matter of getting used to it. I almost am used to the driveway thing...it's just not that big a deal. Parking lots are the same thing...I always parked out further anyway (just a big truck, and that's my excuse for getting my exercise in!). Just don't be like the jerk that has to back and forth 14 times just to get his long bed dually in the closest space to the door! (Yeah...happened yesterday!) Anyway, just park further out...it's not that big a deal.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was in college, I worked at UPS as a "Yard Bird" staging trailers for the outbound operation. Not to brag, but I could park trailers with only 6"-8" of clearance on each side. Even the "Feeder Drivers" were amazed...

It's all in what you get use to and how much time you invest in developing your driving skills.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
blousteau
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a extended cab short bed chevy z71 to my crew cab long bed f250. I agree with the previous posts, it takes a little getting used to, and that 18" makes parking a little harder in tight lots, but the benefits of having the long bed far outweigh the cons of the short bed. I have a toolbox on mine, actually the same from the chevy, and I actually have usable bed space. On the chevy it cut my 6 foot bed down to 4 foot and there really wasn't much I could put in there after that. I do have to say this, I don't make alot of U turns because it is a PITA. If I can fit in parking garages height wise I just find a spot in a less crowded area so I can use the spot next to me to swing into my spot, or back in. The biggest parking problem I have is around here the spots are not that wide, and with the tow mirrors if I have to park between two trucks or SUVs I have to fold them in, so like most I just go park away from others. I can say the parking sensors are the best thing since sliced bread, and they make parking and leaving a parking space much easier!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:18 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
CC/SBs look like shi+.

People buy short beds for three reasons.
1. They don't really need a truck
2. The turning radius helps in town. Means they don't need a Truck
3. They think a short bed will work better Off-Road, only partially true, that completely depends on what kind of off-roading is being done.

I buy only Long Beds, I can't understand why ANYONE would want or need a short bed.
I'll have you know my CC/SB F250 can haul A LOT of groceries home from the supermarket! Shopping bags from the mall: throw those in there too because my truck can handle those sumbitches with ease. And I'll be the one whipping into that front parking space right infront of your land yacht while you're parking by the motorhomes.

You know I'm giving you a hard time, right?

Seriously, my friend, it's going to be OK. I can fit a lot of "manly" stuff in the bed of my short bed truck: lots of sacks of concrete, steel fence posts, shell corn, cattle suppliment, etc. Fitting a sheet of plywood with the tailgate up isn't the litmus test of a "REAL" pickup. Come to think of it, I've bought about 4 sheets of plywood in the past 5 years.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
MuncieV10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seminaryranger
I'll have you know my CC/SB F250 can haul A LOT of groceries home from the supermarket! Shopping bags from the mall: throw those in there too because my truck can handle those sumbitches with ease. And I'll be the one whipping into that front parking space right infront of your land yacht while you're parking by the motorhomes.

You know I'm giving you a hard time, right?

Seriously, my friend, it's going to be OK. I can fit a lot of "manly" stuff in the bed of my short bed truck: lots of sacks of concrete, steel fence posts, shell corn, cattle suppliment, etc. Fitting a sheet of plywood with the tailgate up isn't the litmus test of a "REAL" pickup. Come to think of it, I've bought about 4 sheets of plywood in the past 5 years.
LMAO!! I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to react to that; very funny seminary ranger! I've never owned a shortbed truck so I can't comment on their usefulness; My 3 previous trucks were supercab longbeds, it did take a little getting used to the extra 14" length of the CC over the SC but not too long. My personal opinion is if I'm going to buy a truck why not buy the whole truck; that 18" extra bed length does not cost that much more but it sure comes in handy at times.

Mike

Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 PM
chado
Posting Guru
Figured I'd troll on over here and point out that when my lease is up I want a 8' box...they are telling me I basically need to get an F-250 to get a non-HD truck with a long box.

I'm planning to buy so I may get a CC for resale value; I can list a few reasons for not liking my short box but I think the biggest pet peeve for me at the moment is that I can't get my ATV in and close the tailgate.

Secondary to that is carrying anything long in my truck means I can't tow the trailer at the same time, which to me is a problem as I do both sometimes.

As for parking - I'm with the crowd who parks far away, though it never fails to amaze me that even when parking 5 minutes from an entrace to a store / mall / etc; someone will park beside me...with 25 empty spots on either side.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chado
Figured I'd troll on over here and point out that when my lease is up I want a 8' box...they are telling me I basically need to get an F-250 to get a non-HD truck with a long box.

I'm planning to buy so I may get a CC for resale value; I can list a few reasons for not liking my short box but I think the biggest pet peeve for me at the moment is that I can't get my ATV in and close the tailgate.

Secondary to that is carrying anything long in my truck means I can't tow the trailer at the same time, which to me is a problem as I do both sometimes.

As for parking - I'm with the crowd who parks far away, though it never fails to amaze me that even when parking 5 minutes from an entrace to a store / mall / etc; someone will park beside me...with 25 empty spots on either side.
not sure what your talkin bout when you say non-HD truck 250-350 are pretty much the same, but we use 150s with long beds ext cabs and reg cabs for our work trucks. CC LB is a set-up you cant get in 150 form

Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
chado
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by capn kirk
not sure what your talkin bout when you say non-HD truck 250-350 are pretty much the same, but we use 150s with long beds ext cabs and reg cabs for our work trucks. CC LB is a set-up you cant get in 150 form
non-hd f-150 as in not the 7 bolt rear axle F-150 with the ugly rims is what I was talking about. If I could get an FX-4 SC LB - that would be perfect. I like the super duties but I usually don't pull trailers over 7K LBS...up to and about 7K + a few hundred pounds in the bed; but definetly in F-150 territory.

CC LB is what I will end up doing if I go F-250 / 350 just to get maximum resale. From what I'm seeing the SC doesn't hold resale as well as a CC...don't know if that's just local but that seems to be the case. And the price premium to get a CC doesn't seem that much more.

That's what I meant; sorry if I wasn't clear.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heck i wish they 10 foot box c/c . with my fuel tanks and big weather guard tool box i could use a little more room . if your going to be a truck driver learn to drive trucks.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM
NM04FORD
Mountain Pass
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
You learn real quick its easier to back into most parking spaces. Keep a hitch in the reciever preferably about 4" drop (with a lock of coarse), its kinda like a curb feeler, but on the back. Plus if someone hits the back end they get the hitch first, not your bumper.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
no problem chado good luck finding the truck you're looking for

Old 03-25-2010, 05:35 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sandmanf250
heck i wish they 10 foot box c/c . with my fuel tanks and big weather guard tool box i could use a little more room . if your going to be a truck driver learn to drive trucks.
+1 kind of a dream truck.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Din
Senior User
this is how i park my cc lb 4x4 in a tight parking garage at my loft in Dallas.

going up..

YouTube - Ford f250

the garage and parking spot..

YouTube - Ford f250

just takes a little getting use to at first but after awhile its easy to drive one of these things.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:52 PM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
If I were you I would be looking at a crew cab and then go from there. I have had long beds and short beds. I real difference to me is when you have those longer items.

One other thing to consider about the longer wheel bases. I find that if I back into parking places it goes much easier..If you think about it you are making the turning wheels in the rear thus allowing the non-turning wheels to turn sharper in a parking stall.

So I generally will back into most parking.

+1, also a backup camera in the nav system helps!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Thistle3595
Senior User
Originally Posted by rotun
+1, also a backup camera in the nav system helps!

Even though I got the nav system on my '08 the image is still in the mirror. I understand going from the mirror to the nac system was a change later on in the model year. I sure do like the looks and size of the image in the nav system but I also like the image in the mirror where I'm already looking and besides that is what I have so I better like it.....unless someone knows how to move the backup image from the mirror to the nav system.

Quick Reply: Long vs. short bed on crew cab