Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with a 92+ style headlight ever run the telescopic hi/low hid's before?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone with a 92+ style headlight ever run the telescopic hi/low hid's before?

im not asking for peoples opinions on how hids cause glare and arent designed for the housing, i just want input on people who have ran them, what were your results, and did the hi and low beams actually work? i am interested in these for off road use

Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
I've got a set in an '88 T-bird. They're still a 9007 bulb like my truck is so I would assume the focus would be similar to the trucks. I only use the low setting when driving. The high beam has a tendency to point outward rather than up from the low beam setting. If you're set on the cheapest HID kit, I'd just get a single bulb and aim the headlights appropriately.

However, if you need the high and low and are willing to spend a bit more, look for a true bi-xenon kit. I have a true bi-xenon, two arc tubes per bulb, and you need four ballasts, in my 95 f250 and they work great. The beam pattern is nicely organized and tracks from high to low just like my halogens did (I drove with one halogen and one HID for a couple days to compare focus patterns). The HIDs do glare a bit, but I was able to aim my low beams a bit lower than stock while the highs still projected outward very well. I think I met a good compromise because I have not been brighted once while on the low pattern.

This image should show you why the in-out style HIDs don't focus well in a 9007 housing. The top image is shown from the side. You can see that the two filaments are mounted longitudinally and that the high-low filaments are placed above each other. Moving the HID arc tube in and out is not going to get it into the positions needed. The bi-xenon bulbs do (though there is still the issue of the arc tubes being larger than the individual filaments).

Old 03-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYiT
I've got a set in an '88 T-bird. They're still a 9007 bulb like my truck is so I would assume the focus would be similar to the trucks. I only use the low setting when driving. The high beam has a tendency to point outward rather than up from the low beam setting. If you're set on the cheapest HID kit, I'd just get a single bulb and aim the headlights appropriately.

However, if you need the high and low and are willing to spend a bit more, look for a true bi-xenon kit. I have a true bi-xenon, two arc tubes per bulb, and you need four ballasts, in my 95 f250 and they work great. The beam pattern is nicely organized and tracks from high to low just like my halogens did (I drove with one halogen and one HID for a couple days to compare focus patterns). The HIDs do glare a bit, but I was able to aim my low beams a bit lower than stock while the highs still projected outward very well. I think I met a good compromise because I have not been brighted once while on the low pattern.

This image should show you why the in-out style HIDs don't focus well in a 9007 housing. The top image is shown from the side. You can see that the two filaments are mounted longitudinally and that the high-low filaments are placed above each other. Moving the HID arc tube in and out is not going to get it into the positions needed. The bi-xenon bulbs do (though there is still the issue of the arc tubes being larger than the individual filaments).

thats what i was thinking about the 9007-2 bulbs or was it 9004-2 whichever