Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
How fast does an alternator need to spin to work?

I've tried google....to many "it works as long as the engine is running" answers.

I think the alternator pulley is about a 5:1 ratio compared to the engine flywheel, so I'm guessing from 2000rpm & up.

Anyone actually know?

I'm talking alternator RPM, not engine RPM...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html
Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
2000 rpm is what came to mind for me as well, but I don't really know the answer to that question.
The faster they spin the better they work.
What is your planned use?
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
I've tried google....to many "it works as long as the engine is running" answers.

I think the alternator pulley is about a 5:1 ratio compared to the engine flywheel, so I'm guessing from 2000rpm & up.

Anyone actually know?

I'm talking alternator RPM, not engine RPM...
DB electrical (where my alt came from) states that at enigne idle I have 115amps, and my alternator produces 220 amps at 1200 ENGINE RPM. so 2000+ before you really got anything useful
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
What is your planned use?
Go kart.

I'v never had one that fit in my truck, so I am making one that will. The body is like a golf cart but a touch longer, wheels stick out because they are 25"tall and 14" wide, and instead of a roof or golf club holder thing it has a roll bar with offroad lights.
Ordered a 10hp diesel today.
The engine will sit sideways near the back, with a pulley (smaller pulley on motor, larger on tranny) to a 3 spd old truck transmission (pretty small), that will reside under the seats. From the transmission, a chain drive to the side of the solid rear axle. In the center of the rear axle, there is a sprocket and chain going to the front axle. It will travel under the vehicle inside some 1" steel tubing. (with idler sprockets to pick it up)
The front drive system has been tough. I've welded and hacked and cursed and started drinking several times now. I think I'll scavenge the front end from a FWD car. Because of the large wheels, there is not much room to play with in the front. I have no plans at all to try and incorporate suspension in this machine, just fat tires.

.....Anyways...

Where the belts (dual v belt) go from the engine to tranny, I plan to hack a v-belt pulley on the alternator and dual purpose it as a belt tightening / clutch mechanism. It should work, pulley on motor is 5.25" and the 1 cyl probably idles at 1500.
The only time it wouldnt be spinning is with the clutch pedal pushed, which is not really important.

I think the engine has a little alternator built in because it has an electric starter, but I'm putting 4 55watt auxilary lights on the rollbar, and another 2 55watt lights on the front, and mp3 cd player deck , CB radio, and I doubt those little built in charger things are good for 10 amps.

With all my lights on at the same time, and the stereo cranked, I bet that motor will lose a few hundred rpm's at idle LOL.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Go kart.

I'v never had one that fit in my truck, so I am making one that will. The body is like a golf cart but a touch longer, wheels stick out because they are 25"tall and 14" wide, and instead of a roof or golf club holder thing it has a roll bar with offroad lights.
Ordered a 10hp diesel today.
The engine will sit sideways near the back, with a pulley (smaller pulley on motor, larger on tranny) to a 3 spd old truck transmission (pretty small), that will reside under the seats. From the transmission, a chain drive to the side of the solid rear axle. In the center of the rear axle, there is a sprocket and chain going to the front axle. It will travel under the vehicle inside some 1" steel tubing. (with idler sprockets to pick it up)
The front drive system has been tough. I've welded and hacked and cursed and started drinking several times now. I think I'll scavenge the front end from a FWD car. Because of the large wheels, there is not much room to play with in the front. I have no plans at all to try and incorporate suspension in this machine, just fat tires.

.....Anyways...

Where the belts (dual v belt) go from the engine to tranny, I plan to hack a v-belt pulley on the alternator and dual purpose it as a belt tightening / clutch mechanism. It should work, pulley on motor is 5.25" and the 1 cyl probably idles at 1500.
The only time it wouldnt be spinning is with the clutch pedal pushed, which is not really important.

I think the engine has a little alternator built in because it has an electric starter, but I'm putting 4 55watt auxilary lights on the rollbar, and another 2 55watt lights on the front, and mp3 cd player deck , CB radio, and I doubt those little built in charger things are good for 10 amps.

With all my lights on at the same time, and the stereo cranked, I bet that motor will lose a few hundred rpm's at idle LOL.
That sounds sweet.
You've got to post pics of that when you get it done. I've been wanting to build a fat tire diesel mini-bike with a Yanmar clone engine.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Your lighting alone will consume about thirty amps, continuous, and you may be somewhat disappointed with the amount of horsepower the alternator will rob from that 10 horsepower unit, leaving less to propel the vehicle than you might have wanted.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Your lighting alone will consume about thirty amps, continuous, and you may be somewhat disappointed with the amount of horsepower the alternator will rob from that 10 horsepower unit, leaving less to propel the vehicle than you might have wanted.

Pop
I'm sure with everything running the draw will be noticeable, but not enough to have to pull over.
I know 1 other guy that has a 10hp diesel, they are torquey little *******s.
I'm trying to gear it so that 60km/h (40mph?) is 3600rpm in 3rd gear...so there should be plenty of low down grunt.

Thats fast enough for offroading anyways. The exact same engine in a generator package claims "8 hours run time at full 7000watt load, or 11 hours at 50% load". Thats off 4.5 liters of diesel.

It was either this or a 20hp v-twin. I thought it might be awesome to hear the v-twin exhaust all the time, but I think this will be pretty cool. Guys on the internet have propelled small cars at highway speed using these little diesels. My little machine hopefully will run good with such low gearing. I might need some power if I hit a good mud hole. The front axle will also be solid, so traction won't be a problem as long as you don't need to go anywhere but straight ahead LOL.

PS for those of you who might notice, I am no longer pursuing a mud bogger truck. I think this will be more fun, and i'll get a lot more use out of it too. Plus now I'll be able to put a diesel in the back of my other diesel.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Post Fiend

while i'm at it- anyone know how I can rig a tachometer to an engine without electrical?

is there a magnet sensor kit or something you can buy?

Old 03-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I'm putting 4 55watt auxilary lights on the rollbar, and another 2 55watt lights on the front, and mp3 cd player deck , CB radio, and I doubt those little built in charger things are good for 10 amps.

6x55=330W the radios have minimal power draft.
All that still equals to less than 1/2 hp draw from the engine.
Even with 10hp diesel not too much to worry about.
For comparison I do have 6kw alternator on my bus conversion that I am using to power inverter to power roof AC. That is 1.5 kW=2HP draw. When the big Detroit is idling at 550 rpm and I turn AC on, I can hear slight change in the engine tune, but that is about all.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
6x55=330W the radios have minimal power draft.
All that still equals to less than 1/2 hp draw from the engine.
Even with 10hp diesel not too much to worry about.
For comparison I do have 6kw alternator on my bus conversion that I am using to power inverter to power roof AC. That is 1.5 kW=2HP draw. When the big Detroit is idling at 550 rpm and I turn AC on, I can hear slight change in the engine tune, but that is about all.
I think it should be fine. I'll probably barely ever use all the lights at the same time anyways.

I was originally going to live with a 5 or 10 amp charge....but it turned out the idler pulleys were 25$ each...plus a shaft, and mountings.... the alternator will do that job plus make power for just a little more.

I have some scale drawings made up. basically i'll look like a kid in a power wheels. LOL 4ft wide body aint much room.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
LOL 4ft wide body aint much room.
Yet, judging from your avatar it will be HUGE improvement.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Yet, judging from your avatar it will be HUGE improvement.
There won't be much more room, but I will hopefully have a cup holder for my liquid courage.

And I'll have lights so i find my way home instead of the bar all the time.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Post Fiend

Click the image to open in full size.

Car with 10 hp diesel jammed in:
http://www.utterpower.com/10hp_chevy.htm

"The car proved to pull the steepest hill they could find at more than 15 miles an hour with this hefty load! Flat ground produced nearly 50 miles per hour"

I'm confidently thinking my little unit should motor along just fine, while sipping on fuel.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Postmaster

Quote:

Car with 10 hp diesel
Flat ground produced nearly 50 miles per hour"

That should be impressive?
This is cluster of 2 ton, 201 HP Mercedes I used to drive.
At average 67 mph it was making 52 mpg..

Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Posting Guru

farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.farmdad has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
PS for those of you who might notice, I am no longer pursuing a mud bogger truck. I think this will be more fun, and i'll get a lot more use out of it too. Plus now I'll be able to put a diesel in the back of my other diesel.
Talk about down-sizing.... Sounds like fun and a challenge. Could you use parts from a 4X4 ATV for the axles front and rear? Just a thought.

'03 F350 PSD, 4x4, SC, LB, Super Chip, B&W, AIS, Zoodad, Rough Country (so far)

If it has wheels and an engine, you have my attention.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
alterator, alternator, amps, bed, car, cart, charge, drawl, dump, fast, golf, make, power, rig, rpm, spin