1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F100 4x4 Conversion...help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 PM
colshove
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1954 F100 4x4 Conversion...help!

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and to trucks in general. I recently bought a 1954 F100 and I am having it rebuilt for my personal business as a show truck. My goal is to be able to use the truck year round for driving to and from farmer's markets and other events.

I would like to put this on a 4x4 chassis but I am not sure what vehicle to get the rolling chassis from. From the research I have done, the older Broncos supposedly work, but the wheelbase is much shorter than that of my truck...what problems could this pose? Or am I way off base?

I am not sure of the engine that is currently in it, I have been told it is not the original, nor is the transmission. I would like to replace everything, but I have no idea where to begin. I have a professional doing all of the work for me, I am doing the research and will be gathering the majority of the parts necessary.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Cheryl

Old 03-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm building my '56 as a business truck as well, 4x4.

Granite I am making mine a BIG 4x4, so that may make some differences.

The first gen Broncos have way too narrow a wheel base, though the axles might work but I couldn't say for sure. As far as strong 4x4 parts go, the F-series from 74-79 seem to be the ideal strong but simple parts. It's what I'm planning to use.

If you're going to swap the whole chassis you'll want a wheel base of 110" for a short bed and 118" for a long bed, or very very close. It will look off if you have say 107".

There are a couple people here that have done the conversions, this one is even your year:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...4x4-build.html

Another chassis that has the same track width and wheel base (correct me if I'm wrong or off) is the first gen S-10, specifically the regular cab with long bed. That chassis gets used a lot, and they had 4x4 versions and you can swap a v8 into it pretty easy.

I'm building a big truck, 38" tires kinda thing. I'm also doing A LOT of custom work, but the axles I'm going to use will be from the late 70's. It will give me a wider stance than say an s-10 would, but I'm also making a heavier duty truck than a F100. I'm in the "finding parts in the middle of no-where" stage, but there are several people on here who have finished it, and I have a friend who's done several '56 conversions as well.

Got any pictures of your truck at the moment? We'd all love to see ^_^

Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Ouch Cheryl! Do you have a big check book? Re building an older truck and doing a 4x4conversion to a "show" quality will cost big bucks. I'm not sure what would be a good way to go on the 4x4 conversion.

Maybe finding a good 4x4 drivetrain and frame including the engine all at once and mounting the body to it is the way to go. I don't know how a later model Ranger would work for something like this size wise but that may be a way to go.

Why do you want a show truck with 4x4? For the look or to use in off road situations? If you are actually off roading it, you may want to back off the "show quality" a little as taking a truck off road is hard on things. Good Luck and welcome to FTE.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
colshove
New User
Hi guys,
Getting used to this forum. I posted a few pics in an album. "Show" would have been the incorrect way to describe what I want as an end result...sorry! We had a show car back in the 80's and not what I'm aiming for here. I want it to be solid and reliable, and look sexy!!
We have a Lavender Farm where we have events and I also produce and sell natural products....It will be a great eye catching advertisement, but I also want to be able to jump on the highway and use it as I would an every day vehicle....My checkbook seems to be shrinking my the moment as I delve into this babys needs!!
I'm meeting with the guy doing my work in a week and intend to crawl through her thoroughly discussing all my options. Get up underneath so I can understand the basics more. Do I want to put it on a chassis, do I replace the front and rear suspension and all that goes with it piece by piece...and what parts are the right choice, or do I go with new suspension and blow a large part of my beginning budget right off the bat!! All rhetorical questions. I should be able to ask more educated questions after next weekend. I have always had a thing for old trucks, and have fallen in love with this one!! Glad to have found this group.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:21 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm building a 54 F100 4x4. The link posted above is my truck. I don't have the cash to build a show truck. Mines going to be more of a year round daily driver.

I've changed my mind so many times on the chassis it's not funny. I think I suffer from AADD ( Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder ) . Right now I'm torn between the fullsize Bronco and the 91-94 4dr Explorer.

The only Fords that had a similar wheelbase are the 4 door Explorers and the 98 and newer standard cab short box Rangers. They have a 111.5" wheelbase. The fullsize Broncos( 78-96 ) have a 104.7" wheelbase.

I don't have a stock frame anymore and I've butchered my cab almost beyond recognition. If you want to convert your stock frame to 4wd then you'll need to hunt down a donor vehicle to get all the drivetrain parts from. I think the hardest part about converting the stock frame to a 4x4 is getting the steering set up. If you use the stock 54 steering box you'll need to modify/fabricate the drag link and steering arm on the front diff. If you use the steering box out of the donor truck you need to modify the frame so you can mount the steering box.

Whichever way you go it's going to be a lot of work but it should be a cool project. Make sure to post lots of pictures of your progress as you do or have the build done!!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
You only need two of the three things to build anything; 1) A lot of money, 2) A lot of Time, 3) A lot of work.

Most of us do everything off 2 and 3. I bargain hunt like mad, it takes a lot more time but it also means I can find the parts I need for penny's on the dollar. Craigslist will help out a lot if you're patient and post often.

And I use the same definition for "show" as you Cheryl, something that looks really sharp that you'd be happy to have in a show. A lot of people see it as being 100% perfect though, like a $1,000,000 Show car. That's meant to do nothing but show off and never driven.

Also, I think people forget that you can use 4x4s without having to go off roading through the mountains or something. I don't want my truck to be a mountain truck, I just need something that I'm sure will do what I need, especially in the winter. For daily driving if you ever get any snow 4x4 becomes a must, espcially if you plan on using it for work.

And good thinking with the build, a vintage truck used for a work truck does a lot more for your business than just a truck.

Also before you pay someone to help you, you might see whos in your area. You'd be surprised how many FTE members are around, I know of 5 in my town in the middle of no where! It's the only place I've ever met anyone on a forum where I live. Builds like this, the more people you know the easier it's going to be. They may know of the exact part you're looking for, and most people are just happy to trade for whatever, even just a hand on their project. It can help you save a lot of money and make a lot of friends and have a lot more fun doing this.

Btw, your truck is in GREAT condition. Looks very sharp already

Looks like you have a great start already!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Oh, and remember making it a 4x4 will make it a bit taller, if you look at the front axle they raise up towards the wheels quite a bit:

Old 03-13-2010, 06:11 PM
SunDown
Senior User
I had a hard time imagining that a f100 would look nice as a 4x4, but that grey/silver 56 is HOT! And that bed treatment is trick... whos truck is this, anyone on here?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:38 PM
telefunkken
Senior User
yeah sundown that '56' 4x4 is shaweet, it belongs to dave angel of A and A fifties ford parts.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Roland Smith owns that particular silver one I believe, there might be another just like it though. He's been helping me with my build, done a couple '56 4x4s... actually he's done a lot of 4x4 conversions, here is where I got the picture from:

4x4 chassis swap - '56 F-600 - THE H.A.M.B.

About 7th post down.

Currently he's doing an International K6 and also has a beautiful '49 F1:

Tennessee Classic Truck Club - View topic - Something really different build

Old 03-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Something I just noticed on it, the running board doesn't go all the way to the front fender, meaning it has to be sitting up higher.

I think a taller bed is a must for a 4x4. Least a large 4x4. I have some more pictures though to help give an idea what it will look like. A lot can be adjusted.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Here are a couple 4x4 examples:

This one was on a Bronco chassis:

It doesn't have to be really tall, it all depends on what parts you use and how you go about it.

This truck has a pretty decent stance for a normal 4x4, I'd say it's close to what you can expect, note that it's a long bed and the means the bed is also taller and wider:

These two are a bit bigger, personally I think they're too tall for my tastes, but good size wheels for my kind of 4x4:

I know this one has a 9" lift of it:

Here's one you'll see on here often

I personally really like the stance of this one, I like 4x4's to be full in the wheel wells:

This one is interesting, I wish he would have had the front wheels on it when he took a picture, but it helps to show what can be done. Those are 38" wheels, which are huge. However I think cutting the fenders or rather just notching them is not a good idea, looks funny if nothing else. To have wheels that large and sit that low you would need to open the opening of the fenders more which would take some fabing. F600 front fenders would save you some time though (hence why I'm starting with an F600, lol)

I have more pics and infromation as well if you need. There have been a few well documented conversions on here like: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...d-f-1-4x4.html

Course thats not your year, but if you find anything 53-56 that should work for you, and I'm sure someone here knows what all would be different with any other year, if anything really. Sorry I didn't have more slant cab pictures, lol I was looking for '56 stuff for me when I found them all.