Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 AM
New User

Offroadracer426 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much oil does a 1991 F150 XL hold? I need to replace my oil pan

I need to replace the oil pan on my truck, my brother said i need to know the amount of oil it holds, does any one know and do i even need to know. On jegs.com I found one that said it would fit, does it even matter, if Jegs said it will fit I woundln't need to know how much oil it needs should I? And do i need a oil pan gasket and bolts? Please help, thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Post Fiend

EPNCSU2006 has a very good reputation on FTE.EPNCSU2006 has a very good reputation on FTE.EPNCSU2006 has a very good reputation on FTE.EPNCSU2006 has a very good reputation on FTE.
These trucks hold 6 quarts including filter, so the pan should hold somewhere around 5 quarts. You should be able to re-use the original bolts as long as they are in good shape, but you should definitely get a new gasket. One piece rubber gaskets from the dealer (or Fel-Pro) are the best way to go for a gasket.

'87 F150 302 ZF 5 speed 4x2
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006 View Post
These trucks hold 6 quarts including filter, so the pan should hold somewhere around 5 quarts. You should be able to re-use the original bolts as long as they are in good shape, but you should definitely get a new gasket. One piece rubber gaskets from the dealer (or Fel-Pro) are the best way to go for a gasket.
i got a fel pro gasket, i think my gaskets why its leaking, its a small leak but it will add up. I think i'm gonna por15 the bottom of the truck. thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all1ATony is a name known to all
Yes you can reuse the bolts,the felpro is a pretty good gasket. When you place the gasket onto the pan,I usually use a couple of bolts to hold the gasket in place while putting the oil pan back on.Here's a link to the Ford Truck Oil Pan section on our site,if you also need a pan.

CLICK HERE ^^^TO SEARCH PARTS FOR YOUR FORD TRUCK
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Freshman User

I Tried is starting off with a positive reputation.
6quarts it is
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Post Fiend

quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ATony View Post
Yes you can reuse the bolts,the felpro is a pretty good gasket. When you place the gasket onto the pan,I usually use a couple of bolts to hold the gasket in place while putting the oil pan back on.
felpro gasket comes with plastic holders.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Posting Guru

DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.DIYiT has a good reputation on FTE.
You can also use a bit of RTV in spots if the gasket wants to fold or bed for some reason. You don't need a lot, but it can help for those hard to reach areas to ensure the gasket stays in place.

1995 F-250 - Vortech 460, E40D - 4x4 3.55, Single Cab, Long Box
DIYiT's F-250 Build Thread
--Dana 60 Swap --Vortech Install
Old 03-18-2010, 04:21 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYiT View Post
You can also use a bit of RTV in spots if the gasket wants to fold or bed for some reason. You don't need a lot, but it can help for those hard to reach areas to ensure the gasket stays in place.
i used rtv on my intake manifold gasket, i'm not doing the pan yet cause i have to drop the tranny, that may be a project for spring break or i might do it over the summer. I don't think the pans that bad but it is rusted and i just dont wanna chance it.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
05, 1991, 1995, 2002, 91, amount, f150, f250, fit, ford, hold, litres, oil, pan, quarts, xl