Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Junior User

Brian Abington is starting off with a positive reputation.
Moving to spokane...emissions testing.

My wife and I are moving our family to spokane towards the end of summer.

We are really excited about this change in our lives and look forward to settling in the area.

I do have a question for you guys.

I grew up in Nebraska, and now live in Iowa. Both states do not do emissions testing.

I am rather nervous about the emissions testing in WA because of the work I plan to do to my truck.

I am installing a pair of headers and true duals (plan to put in new high flow cats so I will at least have that.)

At the same time I will work on the intake and I also plan to remove the air pump and egr.

Will I fail the emissions testing with an intake, exhaust, and air pump removed?

Or are they not that picky with trucks?

Mine is a 94 F150 ex cab 5.8l auto 4x4

thanks for any input guys.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Elder User

Behemoth has a very good reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a very good reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a very good reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a very good reputation on FTE.
From what I've figured, you're going to have a little trouble with the inspection. Not so much due to emissions, but due to equipment. According to their website, all emissions equipment must still be installed and operating on your vehicle, which from your admission that you've removed the smog pump, that's not the case.

You should probably reinstall the pump, and with the headers, probably means you're either going to have to reinstall lthe original exhaust manifolds, or have a bung welded into the headers so the exhaust recirculation pipe can be installed. Honestly, I'm not sure that the headers will fly with them even if you take those steps. The intake manifold may not pose as much of a problem, but you should still have the EGR equipment installed at the throttle as well.

You can do some snooping on their site yourself to answer some of your questions...... Washington Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program - Welcome It has just basic information, but I'm sure they're going to be pretty much as draconian as possible, so they ensure that they generate as much revenue for the state as possible (but I'm not cynical, or anything).

I have to do that this year myself on my vehicles, as I moved to Spokane last July. I'm not too worried about it as the equipment is still intact on my rigs. My beater pickup, Maynard ('88 F150 4.9L), might have an issue as it's had the engine light flicker every once in a while, but I've changed pretty much everything having to do with the emissions system. If I fail, and I've already made all the repairs possible, I'll have to get it checked by an "approved" mechanic, and if everything is in working order, I might be eligible for a waiver. That is, IF I fail the test....it'll probably be fine, as it's not a smoker, and doesn't leak, so we'll see.

Anyway, that's my $0.02
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Junior User

So do they have photos of what everything should look like? If they don't know what to look for and only check to see that it has cats and mufflers it may not be that big a deal.

I called a truck shop in spokane and asked the same question...the guy said they only put the emissions tester in one pipe so if you have duals you may still pass because the machine is only picking up half of what your puting out! haha
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Elder User

Behemoth has a very good reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a very good reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a very good reputation on FTE.Behemoth has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well, if that's the case, then I'd doubt you'd have much of an issue. I'm just telling you what i found, and what I think. It's up to you what you do with that information.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Junior User

I appreciate the info, I'm just trying to find all the info I can. It will be interesting to hear how your experience goes.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Posting Guru

caseys has a good reputation on FTE.caseys has a good reputation on FTE.
I have never had anyone actually look to see what was installed or not. That main thing is to pass the emissions test. Take your truck to a shop to have the emissions tested for pass/fail before going to the Washington DMV test site. Just a thought...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Junior User

really? never look under the hood or under the car even?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Posting Guru

caseys has a good reputation on FTE.caseys has a good reputation on FTE.
Now I am only speaking from my personal experience over the years going to get our vehicles checked for bad breath. For our '96 they just plug in a doo-dad under the steering wheel. I can not remember a time that a hood was ever lifted up or someone sticking their head under the vehicle.

Maybe others can chime in with their observations...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. ~ Ancient
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Have a nice Beer!!!

lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.
My hood has not been opened or looked at for emissions. As the years go by, my opacity rating gets lower. Truck is straight piped with a stack.

1999 F350 stock as stock can get. Ignition kill switch and Trailer Brakes. Sold it...way to much blow by.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Post Fiend

superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
Just don't move into Spokane county, problem solved
I sent you a PM Brian Abington, let me know if I can be of help.
PAA Member #2
97 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD
96 F350 CCLB 4x4 PSD - totaled 4/17/11 and sorely missed
God speed PaysonPSD, you will be missed
ThumperTalk / All Things Moto! / Back Country Rebels / SAWS / BRC
Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Junior User

good to know, and superduty4x4 thanks for the unrelated info in the pm I appreciate it.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Postmaster

rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.rupejosh has a very good reputation on FTE.
spokane county sucks anyway
Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Junior User

sucks how?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Elder User

lemonshindig is starting off with a positive reputation.
sucks because they have emissions testing.

I grew up in Spokane. They don't look for emissions equipment. They plug the computer into your cigarette lighter, type in the VIN or scan it if it's a newer vehicle, and then put the tester up the tailpipe and check emissions at idle and at 25mph.

It's super, super easy to pass. If it's in tune, you'll pass.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Posting Guru

Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
Smile Smog Checkout

Hey BA if that 94 has an OBD they may hook up to that. I know thats how they check my 98F150 out. Never under the hood or in the tail pipe. Im pretty sure the OBD will give up all your sins under the hood. No OBD you pays your money you takes your chances.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:19 AM