Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 PM
New User

larkin951 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool triton v10 problems

i have a 2001 6.8l v10 and have nothing but problems. now i got a knocking noise and the oil has water in it. i have no clue what is wrong and on start up it blows white smoke till its warm i have looked at the coolent lvls and they have not changed. the oil pressure is fine while driving but at idle and stop lights and stop sighns it drops and the light comes on. i have not had a cheak engine light yet? what could be wrong? i have blown plugs 5 time 3 coils and 2 head replacments. i hape its just old oil or bad oil i have no clue it is due for an oil change but would just oil oil make all this **** happen i also am seeing oil comming form the intake on the throtle body but the oil beathers are right there too. whats anyones best guess!?!?!?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Let me get this straight. You've been driving your V-10 around knowing you have water in your oil, and now you wonder why it is making knocking noises, blowing smoke and behaving badly?

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 PM
New User

larkin951 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i drove it 3 miles home and then started it in the drive way to let a know it all neighbor hear the sound... do you knwo what could have happen
Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
This is just an educated guess based in what you have posted. I could be all wrong.

1. The water in the oil is probably from a head gasket failure.

2. The head gasket failure is probably from a failure to install the "new heads" properly.

3. The knocking sound is probably your crankshaft bearings protesting after being run with water mixed with oil. Lack of oil pressure at idle tends to confirm the bearing clearance is way out of whack.

4. The oil you see at the intake is probably from the PCV valve, a sign of major internal engine damage.

5. You've turned a small problem (blown head gasket) into a major repair (engine needs to be rebuilt/replaced) by driving the truck.

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Posting Guru

Fishin76 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep, X2 on what redford said. NEVER drive a car that still runs, that has oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil.
2000 F250 SD XLT SC LB 4x4 PSD Ebony and Grey 260K, TS 6-pos Chip, 6637, CCV - my DD now.
1994 F150 XL RC LB 69K 5.0L 2wd, My son's DD.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
You probably have been driving the truck with detonation issues which in turn led to some of the plug issues and now bottom end issues. Also possible the head installation was not done correctly. The past doesn't really matter now, sounds to me like the engine needs tore down.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior User

superdutyduck is starting off with a positive reputation.
mine throws white smoke(steam) upon startup in the morning. but its due to moisture collecting in the exhaust. i have no knocking or any thing truck runs perfect no issues with coolant or oil. as far as your issues, sounds like the truck has been majorly abused!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkin951 View Post
i drove it 3 miles home and then started it in the drive way to let a know it all neighbor hear the sound... do you knwo what could have happen
But, at any rate, welcome to FTE!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You may want to see what you can do about finding a replacement engine, either from a junkyard or from a rebuilder like Jasper.

Despite what you have seen, the Triton engines are tough and reliable engines. You've had some bad experiences with this one, but it sounds like this was caused by abuse. A V-10, if maintained properly, will easily go 300,000 miles without any major repairs.

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Posting Guru

capn kirk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
sorry larkin this isn't directed at you so much but thought i'd be the first one on the site to say it--

you probably wouldn't have this with a 2011 6.2 v8 hahahaha
3.73 limited slip frnt/rear, 35x12.50 BFG All-Terrain, 4" Skyjacker, 3" body lift, hedman headers 3" single-back turndown before rear axle, K&N Air Filter,rebuilt trans, deep trans pan, Warn manual hubs
Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior User

whitefordexplorer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.whitefordexplorer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
cooksmobile@yahoo.com MUSCLEDRIFTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford View Post
This is just an educated guess based in what you have posted. I could be all wrong.

1. The water in the oil is probably from a head gasket failure.

2. The head gasket failure is probably from a failure to install the "new heads" properly.

3. The knocking sound is probably your crankshaft bearings protesting after being run with water mixed with oil. Lack of oil pressure at idle tends to confirm the bearing clearance is way out of whack.

4. The oil you see at the intake is probably from the PCV valve, a sign of major internal engine damage.

5. You've turned a small problem (blown head gasket) into a major repair (engine needs to be rebuilt/replaced) by driving the truck.

DITTO, if your gonna run a truck into the ground and expect it to still run, go buy a toyota, and hand me your truck! LOL

My wife said if i didnt stop spending money on my truck and not her, she would leave..... My new girlfriend loves my truck!

if it has t**ies, tires or tools, it has my full attention.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Senior User

superdutyduck is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you're going to run an engine into the ground do it to the ford 300 6cyl. best engine ever made and it can't be killed!
Old 03-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Posting Guru

capn kirk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i think we should take it easy on larkin. i highly doubt the op wanted or tried to drive his truck in the ground

--my best guess is we are missing part of the story or at least he didnt know what was going on or what he was doing everytime he started it
3.73 limited slip frnt/rear, 35x12.50 BFG All-Terrain, 4" Skyjacker, 3" body lift, hedman headers 3" single-back turndown before rear axle, K&N Air Filter,rebuilt trans, deep trans pan, Warn manual hubs
Old 03-13-2010, 04:35 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyduck View Post
if you're going to run an engine into the ground do it to the ford 300 6cyl. best engine ever made and it can't be killed!
I really hate it when people say that. People most commonly refer to the 7.3L PSD in that manner...and many members here on FTE found out the hard way that they can, in fact be killed! Just go down to the 300 forum...lots of guys with broken engines!

I could attack the "best engine ever made" thing with the puny 150 HP output, too! Seriously, my wife's 4 cylider CR-V has more power than a 300 Six!

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefordexplorer View Post
DITTO, if your gonna run a truck into the ground and expect it to still run, go buy a toyota, and hand me your truck! LOL

But then he couldn't stop!

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 PM
New User

rogueb0y is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your problem IS bad oil: it has water in it. You have either a head gasket that has failed, a cracked cyl. head, or cracked block (unlikely). I don't know the history of your motor so I won't comment, on how it got that way, other than to say that I am very sorry to hear you have such a problem with your V10. Best of luck to you.

others - Yes, the 300 straight 6 was a great truck motor: not a lot of power, but tons of torque, and bulletprooof.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2004, blowing, caravan, f350, ford, gas, knocking, oil, problems, smoke, sound, sxt, triton, v10, white