Sponsored by:

Street 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 PM
lucifer sam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street 4x4

Hi im new to this forum ive been on nloc for a few years now. I have a black 1993 Lightning with a vortech supercharger and a few other goodies. the 351w and e4od has 210,000 miles on it and neither have been touched, with 9lbs of boost. For those that dont know lightnings it has a 4:10 in the rearend as well as an aluminum large diameter drive shaft, (would i need a shorter drive shaft?)
Ive been toying around with converting my truck to 4x4 but not lifting it. Right now it is probably putting down 350-400 hp. I realize that i would need a front axle an e4od 4x4 trans and transfer case and all the other related components. But theres is very little i know about 4 wheel drive, hence why im here.
I do plan on hard launches at the truck and i would worry about how well it would all hold up. When does this stuff start breaking? obviously im not just going to put stock drivetrain in and hope for the best. Also what would be better full time 4wd or etc?
Again this not a for sure thing but i would like to know what you guys think

Old 03-12-2010, 01:58 AM
lucifer sam
New User
done some research and i guess i need to refine my question a bit, is this even possible are there any aftermarket components to make it full time 4 wheel drive? i have no use at all for part time.
A few years ago i saw a 7.3 f350 in ford performance truck magazine and he was making some fast times and ran slicks on all 4 tires im rather curious what exactly he was running under it.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 AM
BAD351W
Senior User
Generally guys who run the diesels at the dragstrips just use 4hi for the pass. And then go back into 2wd afterwards. They use the parttime transfer case thats stock with the truck.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say 4wd and not full time 4wd would be the best bet, for hard launches i would say a d60, might need some goodies inside as well...
The truck will have to be lifted some in order to cover the front pumpkin..

The rear Driveshaft will need to be shortened...

But honestly if you put the money of the 4wd conversion into a good suspension set up in the rear, you will be better off...

Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 AM
dragogt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
I would say 4wd and not full time 4wd would be the best bet, for hard launches i would say a d60, might need some goodies inside as well...
The truck will have to be lifted some in order to cover the front pumpkin..

The rear Driveshaft will need to be shortened...

But honestly if you put the money of the 4wd conversion into a good suspension set up in the rear, you will be better off...
That or find a 4x4 to swap the goodies over to...

Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
The truck being higher off the ground and the extra weight will probably negate any gains he gets from a 4wd launch...

Diesel guys use it beacuse of the light weight of a truck and the tq of the diesel...

Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 PM
351slug
Elder User
I would'nt add the extra weight. Get it to hook with the 2 rear tires, maybe some Mickey Thompson ET Streets and ladder bars and be done with it.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
adding that much weight to try to shave time off yer e.t.s is backwards thinking. like said above get the two tires that move you hooking up better,you'll be time and money ahead doin that before trying to make a 4x4 drag racer, the diesel guys you see running 4x4drag trucks have insane amounts of torque that you're not even close to

Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Newcomer
Elder User
Originally Posted by fatdan460
adding that much weight to try to shave time off yer e.t.s is backwards thinking. like said above get the two tires that move you hooking up better,you'll be time and money ahead doin that before trying to make a 4x4 drag racer, the diesel guys you see running 4x4drag trucks have insane amounts of torque that you're not even close to
X2 !! Take the money and build an adjustable link rear suspension so you can tune your launches that way.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 PM
dragogt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
The truck being higher off the ground and the extra weight will probably negate any gains he gets from a 4wd launch...

Diesel guys use it beacuse of the light weight of a truck and the tq of the diesel...
4wd ranger FTMFW...

But yeah it'd be cheeper and easer to get the L to hook..

Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
let me get this straight....

you want to 4wd your lightning so it hooks better?

ooooooh, you are so lucky Im about to pass out.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 AM
lucifer sam
New User
well i suppose i shoulda said i already have some et street mickeys and it hooks and everything, as well as some traction bars, i just think it would be bad *** to have a 4wd street truck, and not pay outrageous amounts for a cheby ss trailblazer or srt8 jeep.
"Ive been toying around with converting my truck to 4x4 but not lifting it."
i suppose now im just asking is it possible, after snooping a little around it seems highly unlikely just driving everyday street in 4x4 with out something breaking. i just wanted to do somethin different just doin my research

Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 AM
lucifer sam
New User
besides all that extra weight would make a turbo spool up faster lol

Some guy on the lightning forum, wanted a way to make his truck hook up, and not use anything more than a summer tire with 450hp to the wheels, i suggested converting to 4wd (because he was asking the impossible) and it got me thinking soo here i am, haha and my truck got stuck up to the front i beams in soupy gravel 2 days ago in a parking lot (least a powerstroke pulled me out the dodge didnt have the ***** to do it lol) Even though i could get junkyard parts and rebuild if needed myself to save money, you guys are right with that i could get bigger heads, turbo, etc. and run faster.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 AM
PhoenixRisen
Freshman User
Take the front sway bar off and try some practice launches. If you can control it steering wise roll with that. It works on the drag cars so it should help a little.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:12 PM
lucifer sam
New User
done that too,

Quick Reply: Street 4x4