Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Failed MD inspection because of no cat

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:48 PM
rednekrebel28
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed MD inspection because of no cat

A buddy of mine just bought a nice 00 f250 powerstroke and is trying to get in inspected. When he took it there, once the inspector saw it had no cat, he failed the truck and would not go on. So whats the deal here? I didn't know a diesel had to have a cat to pass inspection. I see trucks for sale at lots all the time with aftermarket systems and i'm sure not every single one of them is going to go put a stock cat back on to pass. Anyone have any ideas on this? What the h3ll would a cat do on these trucks anyways. What year did they start putting them on our trucks also?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:51 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my truck didn't come with one ( I believe and its a 2000) so I can't see how they can expect you to have one if it didn't come with it when bought new.

such a pain for you guys and those states that suck. lol

Old 03-11-2010, 02:55 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some of our trucks come from the factory with no cats... So i think it is unfair for the inspector to assume that all of them have cats.. My 99 got one.. They reduce emissions, i guess..

Old 03-11-2010, 02:57 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your truck does not have a catalytic sticker on the core support then there is no reason for him to fail.

70% of these trucks came from the factory with no cats. They do nothing on a diesel.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 PM
rednekrebel28
Senior User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
If your truck does not have a catalytic sticker on the core support then there is no reason for him to fail.

70% of these trucks came from the factory with no cats. They do nothing on a diesel.
Exactly what I thought. Diesels make NOx, not HC and CO like cars which a cat is supposed to change. What core support are you talking about would have that sticker? MD sucks, he must have just got an a$$. People these days

Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rednekrebel28
Exactly what I thought. Diesels make NOx, not HC and CO like cars which a cat is supposed to change. What core support are you talking about would have that sticker? MD sucks, he must have just got an a$$. People these days
on the drivers side door. open door, on the upright, about 4 ft off the ground...mine has one, but no CAT as of Tuesday hopefully Alabama doesn't go to inspections. i kept mine just incase.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
rednekrebel28
Senior User
I just went out and looked at my core support on my e99 and I could not find and sticker that said catalyst or catalytic converter. Any one have a picture of one or can tell me what they would say so i can show my buddy or tell him to make sure his didn't come with one stock.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 PM
rednekrebel28
Senior User
Originally Posted by bama29fan
on the drivers side door. open door, on the upright, about 4 ft off the ground...mine has one, but no CAT as of Tuesday hopefully Alabama doesn't go to inspections. i kept mine just incase.

You have the sticker? What does it say. Since mine has none. Would a truck not equipped with a cat have a sticker that says it doesn't? or would there only be a sticker if there was a cat. Because if there isn't a sticker for trucks without cats, we can't really do anything because they could say we pulled it off or something, ya know.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rednekrebel28
You have the sticker? What does it say. Since mine has none. Would a truck not equipped with a cat have a sticker that says it doesn't? or would there only be a sticker if there was a cat. Because if there isn't a sticker for trucks without cats, we can't really do anything because they could say we pulled it off or something, ya know.

not sure right off hand what it says I'll try to get a pic of it this afternoon. and im not sure if trucks not originally equiped with CAT's have a sticker that says that? if not I'll pull mine off. what about gutting the CAT and reinstalling it?

Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bring your vin # to the parts department at your local ford dealer and ask them to print you out the build sheet for you truck. Mine say my truck has the cat delete. Mine is 4 pages long.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
rednekrebel28
Senior User
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Bring your vin # to the parts department at your local ford dealer and ask them to print you out the build sheet for you truck. Mine say my truck has the cat delete. Mine is 4 pages long.
Cool, that's a good idea. I'ma have to tell him that and see what he gets. Damn, i might even go get one for my truck.

[quote=bama29fan;8627539]not sure right off hand what it says I'll try to get a pic of it this afternoon. and im not sure if trucks not originally equiped with CAT's have a sticker that says that? if not I'll pull mine off. what about gutting the CAT and reinstalling it?[/quote

As for the sticker, I'm still wondering what they would say, so pictures are appreciated The truck does not have a cat on it at all right now. It has an aftermarket 4" system. So I can't gut it and reinstall in for him. But i could and might try the junk yard for one if we have to.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
westpsd
Senior User
I am pretty sure MD uses the VIN to see if it had a CAT or not. My E99 used to, but not any more. I kept it in case I ever had to have it inspected in a state that was a **** as MD. I think their "safety inspection" is the worse in the country, but you only have to have it inspected one time as long as you own the vehicle. GO FIGURE!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:18 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Just checked the build sheet (called HVBOM at the dealership) for my '03 and under "exhaust" it lists item no. F4AAA "LESS CATALYTIC CONVERTER". You might get Ed (partsguyed) to run your truck's VIN to get the report. Not sure if he does that or not. Then you have to convince the inspector that if it didn't come with one from the factory, you don't need one. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
shark1979
Elder User
i have a 01 with no cat and mine went through MD inspection. you should take it somewhere else

Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM
SilverBullet131313
Senior User
Take your truck somewhere else to get it inspected. Simple as that. I would not waste any effort on whoever you went to.

Quick Reply: Failed MD inspection because of no cat