EFI Exhaust to "true duals"

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 AM
es2rider
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI Exhaust to "true duals"

I have seen quite a few posts that mention advantages of using stock EFI split exhaust manifolds to true duals. I been searching and have seen some complaints about the quality of the Walker Y pipe.
My engine has just been rebuilt with Comp cam, H.P. roller rockers and I have a Offy "C" to bolt on, so I'd like to get the best setup with the EFI's.
Is there a "X" type crossover a few feet back?
Anyone have pictures of this setup?
I would like to see how this is done, looks like it could get tricky the way the manifolds dump out.
Thanks, Doug

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
The quality concern with the Walker Y Pipe is a small one and easily remedied. The opening where the rear tube attaches isn't always open all the way and can restrict flow. A little grinding fixes it.

The general consensus is that duals are pretty much just for looks. A single works very well. If you go with duals, keep it around 2" or so. A single about 2 1/4 or 2 1/2".

Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not real impressed with the design of the walker Y pipe. While it flows better than a single, I can't help but think it would flow far better with a bit longer tubes that join at a shallower angle, like a header does at the collector.
Doesn't the factory pipe run dual into the converter, and single 2.25 or 2.5 out? If memory serves me right, that's how my 94 was, with an O2 sensor between the pipes just ahead of the converter.....

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Increasing exhaust system flow is a good thing, but full length, long tube headers would be a GREAT thing that would significantly increase torque throughout the entire rev range.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
The long tube headers do yield more return. And more returns under the hood to fix header leaks.
The EFI manifolds are pretty much a once and done deal.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I did duals and it was pretty decent, using the stock downpipe into a dual 2" system. The problem people have with duals is primarily not having a crossover, and running too big of a pipe.
The pipe between the cats on the factory system is 3", and a 3" single exhaust is a bit much for these engines, I lost a lot of lower end power with that.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
NW 150
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
I did duals and it was pretty decent, using the stock downpipe into a dual 2" system. The problem people have with duals is primarily not having a crossover, and running too big of a pipe.
The pipe between the cats on the factory system is 3", and a 3" single exhaust is a bit much for these engines, I lost a lot of lower end power with that.
a 3" single exhaust wont be bad, like ive read, a larger diam single exhaust helps in the low end. but yea dual you wouldnt wanna go over 2.5" for sure

Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 AM
SKEEFOO
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
Increasing exhaust system flow is a good thing, but full length, long tube headers would be a GREAT thing that would significantly increase torque throughout the entire rev range.
The efi split manifolds flow just as good as headers,the ONLY time you would need to switch to headers is if the motor was fully built highperformance,other wise no difference.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
The quality concern with the Walker Y Pipe is a small one and easily remedied. The opening where the rear tube attaches isn't always open all the way and can restrict flow. A little grinding fixes it.

The general consensus is that duals are pretty much just for looks. A single works very well. If you go with duals, keep it around 2" or so. A single about 2 1/4 or 2 1/2".
I have a buddy who can remove the cat and put duals on my E250, you think a large single pipe would be better ?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Single pipe is the way to go. More room, easier, and works just as well.

2.25 and 2.50'' is all you need, as previously stated.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Econoline 150
I have a buddy who can remove the cat and put duals on my E250, you think a large single pipe would be better ?
Unless the cat is failing, I'd just leave it under there. Then run a 2.25 or 2.5 single w/low restriction muffler.
I would have left the cat under mine, but it had been under it for more than 12 years without the air pump hooked up. It wasn't failing yet, but it was living on borrowed time.

Duals take up a lot of room under there, since they have to share an area that was formerly used for a single pipe and muffler. A larger single will flow just as well as smaller duals, but there's less stuff to eventually rust out.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SKEEFOO
The efi split manifolds flow just as good as headers,the ONLY time you would need to switch to headers is if the motor was fully built highperformance,other wise no difference.
Full length headers, either tri y or four tube ones, offer a SIGNIFICANT torque and economy improvement throughout the entire rev range. Shorty headers or a free flowing exhaust won't do this but headers will. They provide an individual tube for each cylinder and scavenge the exhaust. This not only helps the engine to breathe, but it doesn't have to waste energy PUSHING exhaust into a crowded manifold with pressure applied by the other cylinders.

To quantify the advantage of headers, dink around with desktop dyno. It gives a very good representation of various mods and is amazingly accurate as compared to the same testing on a real dyno.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Yes, full length long tube headers do offer a significant improvement in power/torque.
I'd be all over putting these on my truck, if I could find any that were built to the same specs as the headers I run on my rotaries. They're made with 7/16" flanges, and 1/8" (.125") wall tubing, then ceramic coated. No leaks, ever. Sadly, no one makes headers that are this well built for most applications, and the few that are cost a truckload of money.
Any lower quality materials, and leaks are very common.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Econoline 150
Elder User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Single pipe is the way to go. More room, easier, and works just as well.

2.25 and 2.50'' is all you need, as previously stated.
Oh yea, too big and you lose low end, my E250 is just a very heavy van, thought maybe a few minor things wouldn't hurt. Plus, I've been kinda bored lately anyway.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NW 150
a 3" single exhaust wont be bad, like ive read, a larger diam single exhaust helps in the low end. but yea dual you wouldnt wanna go over 2.5" for sure
Nope, small diameter helps low end, otherwise all these ricers would be able to leave a stoplight in a less than embarrassing fashion. Too big of a pipe won't scavenge, and performance and mileage will suffer. Too small of a pipe will choke your high end, it's an art to find the best size.
This all doesn't apply with forced induction, where you just want the exhaust away from the engine or turbo.

Quick Reply: EFI Exhaust to "true duals"