Dot 3 or Dot 4 Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
ukmat71
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dot 3 or Dot 4 Fluid

What brake fluid do you guys run in your X's

ford recommend dot 3 i have read , but some on here are using dot 4.

the only difference i can see is that the Dot 4 has a higher boiling point.
are there any other differences ?
whats really best?

thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Two things - one is the higher boiling point and the other is DOT 4 handles moisture better. I'd recommend DOT 4 as they are interchangeable and our braking systems do generate high heat - especially if towing. Higher temps can introduce moisture so it is important to change every 1 or 2 years depending on usage - test strips can help determine the interval.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I agree, but there is also some info on line that compares several brake fluids, and Ford HD is the highest tested with Performance friction's Z rated fluid as #2. I am running the PF Z-fluid.

I like stop techs info, so here StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades
Here's the comparison brake fluids

Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 AM
ukmat71
Senior User

cheers , those two links are a good source of info , and easy to understand , thanks

i'll be going with the dot 4 then .

i dont think the fluids ever been changed in the truck so would give me a good base to notice the difference , i hope, and get rid of that , i'm not gonna stop in time feeling ...

Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Reax - Good links. I used to use the Ford HD fluid in my Miata for track events. It was a good feeling one weekend when I hit the limits of that fluid and that was with a requirement we change the fluid before each track weekend! After the time trials I had a spongy brake and had to bleed the brakes again before the next session. ATE Super Blue is exceptional - never had a problem with it. The nice thing about the different colors is you can tell when you have the previous color completely flushed out - blue vs. amber and vice versa.

Marcus - if you have original fluid (now 10 years old) you will most definitely notice a difference. When you bleed the brakes make sure you see a similar flow rate at each corner to ensure you do not have any line/hose problems. You can bleed without an ABS scanner but you wont get all of the fluid out of the ABS pump. You can bleed them once and go for a drive and engage the ABS a couple of times and then repeat the bleeding process to flush a bit more fluid out. Will waste a bit of fluid but might be worth it considering the time interval.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:40 PM
ukmat71
Senior User

I hope so ,tdappleman, the calipers are promised to me tommorow by our UK parcel delivery service ????, so i have the fluid ready & the EX is ready to go on axle stands while i type. not too worried about the ABS part , as i have bought 5 ltrs of fluid so should be a good run through over the next few days (but just dont let the wife know).