1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hey Dicky Bravo, look what I found...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Dicky Bravo, look what I found...

...Your truck!

While cruising the streets of San Francisco, as I do every day at work, I found this familiar looking 51 F1 parked on a major street. It belongs to one of our own, Dicky Bravo.

A few months ago, I found its half-brother, this time a 1952, parked on the street in a nearby neighborhood also in SF. I wonder who's truck it is?

Seeing these trucks around here, especially in San Francisco, is a treat since there's not many of them still running around.

Thought I'd share this with everyone and ask if you had ever spotted a familiar truck that belonged to a member of this forum?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Dicky Bravo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha Ha... yep that's mine. Thank you for the nie picture of it. You caught it during the day as I actually moved it across the street that afternoon (stupid street sweeping). I finally got it registered with the DMV last week and have a new CA license plate on the back. I took the 51 Washington Plate and moved it up to the front, which can kinda be seen in the picture (yes, I know it's illegal... but one of the nice things about living in a City is all the little things get to slide as the authorities have bigger things to worry about).

Just in case anyone would like to know, I'll give a progress update. All the weird transmission questions I asked earlier I have solved, it was simply operator error on my non-synchroed shifting. Smooth sailing nowadays, although I still can't downshift (just need practice). I do have a line on a HD 3 speed out in Sacramento, but I don't know if it's going to work out as the seller has gone dark on me (no money has changed hands so no big deal). Long-term plans are for a 3 spd manual and a 3.50 9" in the back. Other than that... the only thing I really need to fix ASAP is my brake lights. They haven't worked since I bought the truck. I finally went to fix them, and noticed the wiring to the tailights (I have both) was shot (original wiring, most of it exposed with the insulation peeling off everywhere). I rewired the whole tailight pachage with original repos from C&G (wires and sockets as well as 6v halogen bulbs). The tailights are bright and great, but the brake lights still don't work as the problem is the wire from under the dash... hopefully will be done this week.

The remainder of my plans are as follows (aside from the 3spd/3.50 gearing): Seat belts, turn signals, 6v alternator (the one from 5th Av looks nice - I might do the 12v conversion but am set on 6v for now), halogen headlights, new bed wood (ipe wood is the front running contender here), wide white walls and dual exhaust, maybe some kinda dual intake (I have the 226 six) as well as some major underside cleaning (I must have taken about 3 lbs of dirt off the frame rail when redoing the tailight wiring). It's very fun to drive, no real problems, and gets good looks roaming through San Francisco. The farthest I've taken it down to the woodisde hills, but when I get it down to SJ, the first place I'm stopping is your house PanelMan.

I've always wondered about that 52 as well.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure that the brake light issue is stemming from a wire behind the gauges?? It sounds more like it's the brake light switch that's mounted on the master cylinder. You might want to replace that at first instead of chasing the electrical wire.

I have a spare 3 speed transmission at home. It's not floor mounted shift, but column mounted. Turn signals are easy. I believe that park lamp and tail light sockets are already set up for dual wires. If not, then you'll need to change them out and also put in dual filament light bulbs. Then wire up a Signal Stat turn signal. That's what I did before I rendered my 52 non-operational. I have an article from a recent Vintage Truck magazine where laminate floor planks were installed into the bed of a Chevy truck. Looked nice and was very low in price compared to real wood. Unless you're doing a show restoration, you might want to consider this option. I can dig up the article and either email it to you or post it here.

Drive your truck over to the other 52 in the area on a weekend. You may catch the owner outside or nearby. You could also leave a note on the windshield. I've done this several times locally and have been successful.

Hurry up and get the bugs worked out on your truck and drive to my house. It's only about 50 miles away. 280 would be best for cruising.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Dicky Bravo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I'm sure it's the wire because it's been cut just before the connector that takes it to the "tailight wires" if you know where I'm talking about (basically just inside the engine compartment from the cowl). I need to fiugre out how to sauter on a male bullet end and it should be good. I do have a new brakelight switch in case the old one doesn't work, but step one is to fix the wire.

Please e-mail the article if you can find it easily. I've never seen the laminate. The the ipe I've seen (on decks) looks good, is really durable, and available for decking in widths/depths that match the bed... all I need to do is route the edges as I don't plan on staining it (I want it to grey up to match the truck... which may be the only problem I see with the laminate). I think I can get everything for about $200, so no big deal on the expense side.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll bring the truck on by (as it definitely can make it).