Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Upgrade Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
veggieford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade Exhaust?

i have an excursion with a superchip1705 and the 6637 air intake mod. would it be beneficial for the life of my turbo and the engine to get the exhaust sooner then later? thanx for the help

Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veggieford
i have an excursion with a superchip1705 and the 6637 air intake mod. would it be beneficial for the life of my turbo and the engine to get the exhaust sooner then later? thanx for the help
I don't know if it would be beneficial towards the life of the engine or turbo, but it will certainly help with efficiency of the two. The sound is great too!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM
veggieford
Freshman User
im looking at the MBRP 4" aluminized steel turbo back, i know that the intake is bringing in a whole lot of air but my stock exhaust isnt getting it out quick enough. i just wamt t make sure im not hurting anything by not having the exhaust on there now

Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im looking at the MBRP 4" aluminized steel turbo back, i know that the intake is bringing in a whole lot of air but my stock exhaust isnt getting it out quick enough. i just wamt t make sure im not hurting anything by not having the exhaust on there now
The MBRP is a very good choice!. I love mine. Just remember diesels aren't very loud so you can get away with the muffler delete with out a problem.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 PM
veggieford
Freshman User
good to hear you like it...does anyone think i can get away with the factory exhaust for a couple more months or should i just spring and get it. thanx again

Old 03-09-2010, 02:55 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can do a muffler delete on your factory exhaust and be good to go with the mods you have.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
how much benefit will it have (if any) for fuel mileage, performance, etc on a stock truck?

i posted this in another thread but had only one response.... i have a CAt and was thinking of doing a CAT and Muffler delete on stock until i can save for a 4" turbo back.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by bama29fan
how much benefit will it have (if any) for fuel mileage, performance, etc on a stock truck?

i posted this in another thread but had only one response.... i have a CAt and was thinking of doing a CAT and Muffler delete on stock until i can save for a 4" turbo back.
Taking the Cat and muffler off will let the engine exhale a lot better. You should see a little better MPG after taking the two off.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Taking the Cat and muffler off will let the engine exhale a lot better. You should see a little better MPG after taking the two off.

will the smaller exhaust (with no muffler) be louder or less pleasing of a sound than a larger exhaust with no muffler?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

will the smaller exhaust (with no muffler) be louder or less pleasing of a sound than a larger exhaust with no muffler?
I ran the muffler delete for years before I got the MBRP 4" exhaust w/muffler. Both were about the same loudness, but the MBRP has a deeper sound to it. I like having the muffler on my exhaust. If you look inside the MBRP muffler, it is the same size as the rest of the exhaust and open through.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Thanks...im actually thinking of taking them both out tonight

Old 03-09-2010, 03:55 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Thanks...im actually thinking of taking them both out tonight
Never to early to get this done. lol. Do you have pipe to take the place of the two?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 PM
veggieford
Freshman User
how easy is it to take the muff and cat off and to put the piece of pipe in its place. is there a video or anything i can look at. right now im leaning more to the cheaper mod till i can save up, thanx again.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

how easy is it to take the muff and cat off and to put the piece of pipe in its place. is there a video or anything i can look at. right now im leaning more to the cheaper mod till i can save up, thanx again.
If you have a wielding machine it wouldn't be hard to weld a piece of exhaust in the place of them. Measure what length you need. You can go to a muffler shop and have them cut them off and put a pipe in place.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
went to muffler shop here in town....

i chickened out...i had the CAT taken out but not the muffler. when he cut the cat out i had him crank it up to see how loud it was...it was a lot louder....granted it was short piped and inside the shop still. i have never been a fan of loud trucks.

thats not to say i wont go back and get it taken out next week

anyway...i think i can tell a difference with just the cat out...and was only 40$ he said if i changed my mind he would do the muffler delete for the same price.

Now what do i do with the CAT? are they worth anything?

Quick Reply: Upgrade Exhaust?