6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 diesel problems--school me please!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:19 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Folks swap Oil in 6.0L almost as much as a change of underwear no problems

So Maybe there was a updated seals since 99

Old 05-25-2014, 10:08 AM
dunterhead
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed your from Justin. I live in Arlington and bought a 2004 f250 6L from a dealer near you. He said he used someone in Justin to service/work on his truck. If I gave you the vin number could you tell me if your that Tech. I want two things #1 history of truck #2 A good Tech. I would PM you except I can't just yet. Thanks

Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM
NativePowerstrok'n
New User
Angry weep hole air leak

I have a question that no one seems to answer, Does anyone know why the weep hole on the hpop behind the gear would leak during and after commanding the ipr to shut? I air tested my hpop and found the leak coming from the weep hole behind the hpop gear.. its frustrating trying to have this question answered.. any one know? Ive been working on a 05' 6.0 and did all the updates on the engine..I put a new ipr in it and still the air leaks from this weep hole..the truck just quit and wouldnt start..I have no oil pressure what so ever..I need my truck running. its been sitting to long..

Last edited by NativePowerstrok'n; 07-16-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Dogmann
Senior User
Just found this thread after posting about the excursion 6.0. I found a 6.0 and wanted to know if what the seller did to upgrade the 6.0 was the correct stuff to do?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=121569159433

Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dogmann
Just found this thread after posting about the excursion 6.0. I found a 6.0 and wanted to know if what the seller did to upgrade the 6.0 was the correct stuff to do? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=121569159433
I wouldn't buy anything listed like that. If you spent thousands on upgrades would you trade it in on a couple hundred dollar fix because it was too loud? Sounds like someone trying to off load something.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:32 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
That's a good list of updates. Except for replacing the factory air filter and I assume the "new plugs and wires" are glow plugs and GP harness. No mention of the updated STC fitting, or stand pipes and dummy plug.

I agree the story is a little fishy.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 AM
rjglenn
Junior User
That thing is beautiful. I'd love to have it for my wife to drive but after all the fun I've had with my powerstroke and the damn TDI Jetta she doesn't want anything to do with a diesel ever again.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Alan Perkins
New User
Interested in buy my 1st diesel

interested in buying my 1st diesel. Always been a Ford guy. Have an 01 F150 with almost 200000 miles on it. Have been looking at used F250 diesels but have heard A LOT of issues with Fords. Any advice will be good. Thank you
Originally Posted by barr75
change the fuel filters often. every 10 to 15k at most. That is the leading cause [other that the programer and chips] of failures of these engines. once the fuel press. drops just a little, the oil pressure hammers the injectors to pieces. then they run lean and there goes egr coolers and head gaskets. This is a good engine. just has had its run of bad luck in the 03 and 04 years. maintence is key. And DO NOT let just any mechanic work on it. Find a 6.0 mechanic that knows his stuff and he will take care of you.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Neilstruck
New User
Follow up questions on 6.0 ownership...

Okay so have been A LOT of research as I love Ford trucks I have never owned a diesel and there are several nice 4x4 250s with just over 100k mi (which is just getting started for diesel and unless I am misinformed) in price range. First off I like to work on and maintain my vehicle (within reason). I typically drain all the fluids; manual trans, transfer case, front/rear diff, and of course engine an replace with high performance Royal Purple. In addition,all filters- I like K&N filters (or any good washable filter) and typically get the best oil filters etc...

So after trying to make sense of the whole "6.0l nightmare or not" it seems reasonable maintenance filter,fluid etc..these engines are not the nightmare of legend. I would assume most of the trucks that are out there now have already got the required updates needed from Ford...but let me know if that not a good assumption.

My main concern is every keeps talking about getting a ScanGaugeII. Once I hook the scanner up how do I know what the hell I'm looking at? What is the proper oil temp, pressure, etc..Is there any resources specific to these trucks you all recommend? I generally use Hanes manuals but again I'm green when it comes to diesels.

Lastly would recommend taking a used truck to Ford to see if everything is update or is there a better resource? if I understand correctly aren't there recalls on some items that can replaced by Ford if the previous owner hasn't?

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Neilstruck

My main concern is every keeps talking about getting a ScanGaugeII. Once I hook the scanner up how do I know what the hell I'm looking at? What is the proper oil temp, pressure, etc..Is there any resources specific to these trucks you all recommend? I generally use Hanes manuals but again I'm green when it comes to diesels.

Lastly would recommend taking a used truck to Ford to see if everything is update or is there a better resource? if I understand correctly aren't there recalls on some items that can replaced by Ford if the previous owner hasn't?

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps.

The following are a must to get an idea on the health of your engine:
FWT=water, EOT=engine oil temp., FLP=ficm low side power, FMP= ficm high side power, ICP=injector control pressure, IPR=injector pressure regulator(measure amount the valve is open or closed), VLT=voltage.

Those should give you an idea if the engine is in good shape or not. The EOT and FWT should start out withing 5 degrees of each other on a cold soaked engine and climb relatively close until operating temperature is achieved. If the temps are 15 deg or more apart you will be in for a cooling system flush and an oil cooler replacement. Make sure to do all the normal used vehicle checks as you would for a gasser.

Keep in mind that you will only see 4 at a time on a ScanGauge 2! You could also get a blue tooth doongle and load the software on a cell phone and monitor the PID.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 AM
GySgtAttack
New User
Perhaps not in the right area, but just found this site through some idgit bashing on the Ford SD's with 6.0L Diesel engines on the Facebook group Airstream Addicts. Proud owner here for three years now of a (new to me) 2005 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4 6.0L Diesel Quad Cab Lariat edition pickup truck. ♡ it, tow both heavy equipment and a 34' Airstream Excella 1000 tri-axle as well. Never had an issue! Maintenance performed regularly, bed and undercarriage has been linexex'd, engine studded, and Sinister 6.0L PowerStroke EGR Delete Kit professionally installed. Life is good! =)

Old 10-07-2016, 05:22 PM
m54sam
New User
Brand new to FTE here, read the entire "school me" thread...new to 6.0 ownership as well. Great pieces of information, thank you all for contributing to this thread! Looking forward to being part of this family more as time goes by.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:22 PM
o6white
New User
6.0 diesel problems

I have an 06 f250 with 6.0 i have had the truck a year has 150000 on it very disappointed in the truck in my time with this truck its gutless poor mileage and brakes down all the time and i take good care of it and it still always in the shop no its slowing down when driving and stalling starts back up but blows a big cloud of black smoke no idea just know this 6.0 does not inpress me a bit

Old 01-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Son, you need to get schooled,being a former GM guy, these trucks kick butt. I personally own 2 6.0, an Excursion and a F 250 CCLB. I had issues yes,but that being said,you have to know the quirks with these trucks or the local repair shop is going to send their kid through college on your dime. This is a great place to get that information and keep your truck in tip top shape. And your defiantly not going to make friends coming here and bashing the 6.0. Just so ya know

Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 AM
jkey.bama
Cross-Country
Well said Per4mance! Perfect informative response/reply & excellent articulated text!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.0 diesel problems--school me please!