Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #61  
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 PM
beeg truck beeg truck is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
beeg truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey guys.. just sold my f250 V10 and im looking at buying this f350 6.0. Ive been reading through the threads and people seem to suggest that a lot of troubles are caused by modifications to the truck. Here is a description of the truck im lookin at as given by the seller. Are any of these Mods typical of causing problems? truck has 200000 Kilometers on it. What do you think??

2003 Ford F350 superduty a great deal just do not use it!!4 door Loaded has a Banks Six Pack Speedloader witch gives it about 275 extra horses also runs on a PDA inside the truck for adjustments. EGR delete kit new km2 mud terrain tires on 20 inch rims new oil cooler new high presser oil pump new starter new battery new shocks new brakes new windsheild truck works good just need something a little smaller no use for the big rig. make me an offer also will trade tell me what you got!!


ps....I cant see how anything could give something 275 MORE Horses !! ?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Polo-x Chick Polo-x Chick is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Polo-x Chick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Starting Problem

I have a 2003 6.0L Ford F-350 turbo diesel... I cant even get it to turn over today... Started hard last few days but today... nothing
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Rusty Axlerod's Avatar
Rusty Axlerod Rusty Axlerod is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Enterprise, Alabama
Posts: 5,089
Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
Hey guys, welcome to FTE! Looks like your post fell through the cracks beeg truck. Posting a new subject on the end of an existing thread is easily overlooked, I would suggest clicking the "new thread" button on the main page of the 6.0 forum, just give your thread a name and type away.

275 more hp is a bit of a stretch - the Banks stuff is generally pretty good but not THAT good. Their tuners and software aren't good for a 6.0 transmission either. Hope you skipped this truck or got it for a great price .

Polo- are the battery's charged well (headlights bright)? Did you get a check engine light or battery light while it was still running? You're really going to need to scan it for codes as a starting point. I would recommend pulling the batteries and having them charged and tested as a starting point also.

Here is some good reading also: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/87...condition.html <--click here
__________________
"Thinkin ain't knowin"
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. Rotella ELC. DashBoss. '08 Mirrors. Mishimoto Rad and 200° stat.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM
worldcat's Avatar
worldcat worldcat is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
worldcat is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm glad I stumbled onto this site and this thread. I thought I was the only person owning a 2003 6.0 that had not had any problems. So far, I have not had a wrench on the engine, just normal oil and fuel filter changes. I do however, have extremely low miles (80K) for a truck of eleven years. I mainly use it to tow my 10,000 lb. boat and trailer from GA to FL. Other than that, it's light duty driving as a second vehicle.
Based on what I've read and talking with friends that have had this engine, I have been expecting all the problems you continuously hear about. However, hearing a few success stories gives me hope that I'll get the 25 years of service and 250K miles I had hoped for when I purchased it in 03.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 AM
oDDiss98 oDDiss98 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
oDDiss98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

New to site & thread. Am having fuel leak from in engine fuel filter,due for change,hope it solves the problem. Haven't had any other problems but will definitely check on evrything mentioned. Have friends with stock trucks that have had ALL the problems ,yet luckily I have been spared. Good vibes for info and help.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 PM
bobkonaben bobkonaben is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
bobkonaben is starting off with a positive reputation.
M buying a 350 king ranch 2003, 130,000 miles on it . looks great all stock. $16,000 what do u guys think?? Help! Bob
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:06 PM
flainn's Avatar
flainn flainn is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,158
flainn has a very good reputation on FTE.flainn has a very good reputation on FTE.flainn has a very good reputation on FTE.
matthew.mccleary.nm harleynmt matthewmccleary immortalbroom32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkonaben View Post
M buying a 350 king ranch 2003, 130,000 miles on it . looks great all stock. $16,000 what do u guys think?? Help! Bob
King Ranch trucks sure are gorgeous ... but that's a lot of money for an eleven-year-old truck. Is it one-owner? Has it got complete service records since the day it was born? Any sort of warranty?

If it's your dream truck and has receipts to prove the 6.0 "bullet proofing" work has been done, it might be worth that much.
__________________
Four wheels: '04 F-350 XL, 3.73 SRW, early 6.0, 5R110W, 342k -- sold. '04 Chevy Tahoe, 5.3, 4L60E, 88k (wife's).
Two wheels: '90 Kawasaki KX 250, '83 Kawasaki KX 80 bored to 125, '96 Yamaha PW 80
Past: '84 F-350 6.9, '86 F-250 6.9, '88 Bronco II 2.9, '91 Explorer 4.0, '94 F-250 7.3, '94 F-250 351w, '97 F-250 351w, '99 Escort 2.0
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
bobkonaben bobkonaben is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
bobkonaben is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flainn View Post
King Ranch trucks sure are gorgeous ... but that's a lot of money for an eleven-year-old truck. Is it one-owner? Has it got complete service records since the day it was born? Any sort of warranty?

If it's your dream truck and has receipts to prove the 6.0 "bullet proofing" work has been done, it might be worth that much.
Thank you , Not original owner and no receipts. I will take your advice and pass. bob
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 AM
lwems lwems is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 62
lwems is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubnut View Post
I own a 2006 sd short bed with 6.0 liter diesel engine. I bought it new and it currently has 25000 miles on it. I've only recently begun reading this forum and, frankly, after some of the stories I've read here, I may sell my truck and get a gasser! I've not had a single problem with the truck and I change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months. I've read of seriously inherent problems with the engine design (sand in the galleries--needs coolant filter; EGR failure (from clogged filter); hopping badly at 40 mph; poor oil filtering causing injector failures; water pump failure. I'm afraid to look any further!! I thought diesel engines were supposed to go hundreds of thousands of miles without problems, but I've seen some major failures and repairs required at 50,000 miles here! I've put the coolant filter on the truck (last week). Should I dump this thing now? I am completely serious here. Thanks!
With so few miles, you've got time to catch the serious problems before they develop:

1. Do a "blue spring" upgrade on the fuel filter bowl, in order to guarantee proper fuel pressure. You can do it yourself in about an hour, with $50 in parts. It'll save your injectors later.

2. If you have an aft fuel tank made of steel, rather than a midship plastic tank, then either take great care to avoid Biodiesel, or else replace/reline the tank. The current lining will fail horribly in the presence of biodiesel.

3. Either delete the EGR (may be illegal to do so in your state) or switch out the Ford Gold coolant. That coolant is not compatible with the 6.0 engine's EGR cooler, so one or the other has to go. If you ignore this problem, then by 100,000 miles you have a high risk of blown head gaskets. Cheapest option is to flush with distilled water and then switch to a silicate-free coolant.

Ford has copped to items 1 and 2, but won't chip in towards the cost.

Ford cannot cop to item 3 without instant bankruptcy, so they must continue to recommend Ford Gold coolant in your engine.
__________________
EMS PCR software mobile, paperless, in the cloud
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Asheville Engine's Avatar
Asheville Engine Asheville Engine is offline
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 152
Asheville Engine is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.facebook.com/AshevilleEngineRebuilders https://twitter.com/AshevilleEngine
There are over a MILLION 6.0 Powerstrokes running around without problems. They all have some potential problems built into them but if yours has no problems, I wouldn't lose sleep.
__________________
C:\Users\Debra Newcomb\Pictures\bg-1-339546.gif
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 PM
clrandolph23 clrandolph23 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
clrandolph23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
03 6.0 f250

My ex just recently wrecked my 99 7.3 drw and totaled it so I was forced to get a new truck. I was always a die hard dodge guy and I swore I'd never get a ford before my 7.3 and if I did it wouldn't ever be a 6.0. Well after being out of work for two weeks waiting for insurance to work there stuff out I decided to go truck shopping. I drove to several dealers and hadn't found any cummins that were tickling my fantasy and I tried one more joint in my little po dunk town. They ha this really gorgeous blue stroker so I decided to swing in and look. 6.0 of course and I wanted to walk away but something drew me in and after a lot of looking at it and driving it I really liked what I was seeing. Now I'm pretty good with trucks but I wanted another opinion so I called up my machanic buddy to get a second opinion and talk me out of the truck. Well he looked and told me it doesn't look bad but it's a 6.0. So I did some looking on here and read a lot of things I liked. So I said screw it and bought it.

This truck has 130k on it and was 1 owner. I hauled a car down from alamosa with it today (300 miles) each way and I could not be more pleased with this truck. Completly stock with the 5 spd auto and I love everything about the way it pulled. I ran 85 at 2100 rpm pushing 7 pounds of boost and never got over 11k egt. While getting 15 mpg. Ok so I was a little hard but I wanted to see what she would do and I am nothing but satisfied. I may have become a die hard 6.0 fan it just did well
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-10-2014, 03:15 PM
mustang_309's Avatar
mustang_309 mustang_309 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Weber, Utah
Posts: 3,048
mustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrandolph23 View Post
My ex just recently wrecked my 99 7.3 drw and totaled it so I was forced to get a new truck. I was always a die hard dodge guy and I swore I'd never get a ford before my 7.3 and if I did it wouldn't ever be a 6.0. Well after being out of work for two weeks waiting for insurance to work there stuff out I decided to go truck shopping. I drove to several dealers and hadn't found any cummins that were tickling my fantasy and I tried one more joint in my little po dunk town. They ha this really gorgeous blue stroker so I decided to swing in and look. 6.0 of course and I wanted to walk away but something drew me in and after a lot of looking at it and driving it I really liked what I was seeing. Now I'm pretty good with trucks but I wanted another opinion so I called up my machanic buddy to get a second opinion and talk me out of the truck. Well he looked and told me it doesn't look bad but it's a 6.0. So I did some looking on here and read a lot of things I liked. So I said screw it and bought it.

This truck has 130k on it and was 1 owner. I hauled a car down from alamosa with it today (300 miles) each way and I could not be more pleased with this truck. Completly stock with the 5 spd auto and I love everything about the way it pulled. I ran 85 at 2100 rpm pushing 7 pounds of boost and never got over 11k egt. While getting 15 mpg. Ok so I was a little hard but I wanted to see what she would do and I am nothing but satisfied. I may have become a die hard 6.0 fan it just did well
Glad you got a new ride and welcome to the dark side. Do yourself a favor and follow the maintenance schedule to a "T" and use nothing but OEM oil, fuel and air filters with the OEM oil filter cap and read read read and then read some more here on the forums and tech folder. Many of the 6.0l problems are self inflicted by owners trying to save money on maintenance, where saving a few bucks here can cost you big time down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 PM
clrandolph23 clrandolph23 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
clrandolph23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_309 View Post
Glad you got a new ride and welcome to the dark side. Do yourself a favor and follow the maintenance schedule to a "T" and use nothing but OEM oil, fuel and air filters with the OEM oil filter cap and read read read and then read some more here on the forums and tech folder. Many of the 6.0l problems are self inflicted by owners trying to save money on maintenance, where saving a few bucks here can cost you big time down the road.
thanks! I appreciate the advice. Do you have any specifics on the fluid an maintenance? Also I'm thinking on a few thing. I pull quite a bit and I'm thinking about a tuner. My 7.3 had a diesel power tune and I liked it ok. I'm thinking sct live wire or doing a simple super chips flash pack and also running a scan gauge 2. What's your take and also what about egr delete? I hear mixed things
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 AM
bobkonaben bobkonaben is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 19
bobkonaben is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.0 litre vs. 7.3

Well after hearing all the pros and cons about the 6.0 I purchased a 2003 ford crew cab 7.3 with 121.300 miles . One owner, garaged all its life, lifted 4 inches and has a " Roll Along Pkg." what ever that is. I feel like I am 50 years younger when driving this truck with the 20" chromeeees and the 35" tires. Looks great. I had it checked out in Redding, Ca. where I bought it and the mechanic said the front brakes were getting low and someone changed one of the battery cables other than that it was fine. Brought it home to Medford, Oregon and had my mechanic check it out, he said the same so had that fixed and now it is pristine. Paid $17000 for it. People here say I got a good deal, What do you guys think? Chime in and thank you. Bob
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-11-2014, 10:15 AM
clrandolph23 clrandolph23 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4
clrandolph23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkonaben View Post
Well after hearing all the pros and cons about the 6.0 I purchased a 2003 ford crew cab 7.3 with 121.300 miles . One owner, garaged all its life, lifted 4 inches and has a " Roll Along Pkg." what ever that is. I feel like I am 50 years younger when driving this truck with the 20" chromeeees and the 35" tires. Looks great. I had it checked out in Redding, Ca. where I bought it and the mechanic said the front brakes were getting low and someone changed one of the battery cables other than that it was fine. Brought it home to Medford, Oregon and had my mechanic check it out, he said the same so had that fixed and now it is pristine. Paid $17000 for it. People here say I got a good deal, What do you guys think? Chime in and thank you. Bob
That doesn't sound bad. I bought my 99 super crew long bed drw last summer, and it was the same kinda deal. One owner garage kept and he only used it to haul his daughter to rodeos. I "t had 128k on it and I paid 13k. I loved that truck. I pulled a 7k pound stock trailer from Colorado to Georgia and back and had no issues. I will say though don't change to type of oil that's in it. I tried to ease into synthetic and messed up several seals. If it has no oil leaks keep using the same oil! Other than that just enjoy it. She'll pull great and last forever!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:15 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
06, 2007, 250, 60, code, codes, diesel, excessive, f250, ford, oil, problems, reader, remedy, rid, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Owner 6.0 diagnosing issues ktownf350 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 14 07-12-2014 12:41 AM
Buying 2006 F350 6.0 CollinsCD 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 7 05-31-2013 12:02 PM
What Did You Do to Your 6.0 Today? Mr. Sandman 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2 12-07-2012 07:00 PM
A survey for all 6.4L owners StanleyZ 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 29 12-15-2011 08:44 PM
Simplified 6.0 events........ matty169 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 22 01-03-2011 07:56 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup