Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2013, 02:42 PM
New User

David Singleton is starting off with a positive reputation.
KEEP IT HUBNUT!!!

I bought my 2004 6.0 PSD in Oct 2005,Being the #2 owner,I pulled the warranty claims on it..The 1st owner had serious issues with it,which resulted in a brand new engine,turbo,and seals throughout..Im goin on 8 years now and I couldnt be happier with it..oil cooler is the only thing I had to replace as of late..I have never had a tuner,programmer or any high performance mods..other than the K&N Air intake and AFE 4" Cat back exhaust,its stock..I live in Oregon and Its pulled my toy hauler to the coast to ride and up to hunting camp every year with no issues. Its a good truck
Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
New User

David Singleton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubnut View Post
I own a 2006 sd short bed with 6.0 liter diesel engine. I bought it new and it currently has 25000 miles on it. I've only recently begun reading this forum and, frankly, after some of the stories I've read here, I may sell my truck and get a gasser! I've not had a single problem with the truck and I change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months. I've read of seriously inherent problems with the engine design (sand in the galleries--needs coolant filter; EGR failure (from clogged filter); hopping badly at 40 mph; poor oil filtering causing injector failures; water pump failure. I'm afraid to look any further!! I thought diesel engines were supposed to go hundreds of thousands of miles without problems, but I've seen some major failures and repairs required at 50,000 miles here! I've put the coolant filter on the truck (last week). Should I dump this thing now? I am completely serious here. Thanks!
I bought my 2004 6.0 PSD in Oct 2005,Being the #2 owner,I pulled the warranty claims on it..The 1st owner had serious issues with it,which resulted in a brand new engine,turbo,and seals throughout..Im goin on 8 years now and I couldnt be happier with it..oil cooler is the only thing I had to replace as of late..I have never had a tuner,programmer or any high performance mods..other than the K&N Air intake and AFE 4" Cat back exhaust,its stock..I live in Oregon and Its pulled my toy hauler to the coast to ride and up to hunting camp every year with no issues. Its a good truck
Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 PM
New User

barryviola is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 F250 6.0L

I have a 2006 F250 6.0L Diesel. I had my check engine light come on. I checked it with a computer and it says all cylinders have Injector Circuit Low errors. It does not start now. It cranks but does not fire. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking it is the Fuel Injection Control Mod. But not sure.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
Codes on all 8 injectors is likely FICM. First verify it is bad. Click on the link to the Tech folder below for instructions on how to test it (pretty quick/easy), then you have some options. In order of expense.
1. If you're good with soldering or know someone who is, you can repair your power board using the instructions in the tech folder here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/30...ch-folder.html
2. Replace the power board. They are available from Ford, International, and a cheapo from the parts store (not recommended but possible "emergency" fix).
3. Send your FICM out for repairs. Many people here have had great experiences with Ed at FICM.com. Your FICM will be repaired, guaranteed, and there are options for software upgrades you may be interested in.
4. Dealer repair. This is usually a FICM replacement and software update (flash) at around $1k.

I would reccommend #3.
#1 is attractive also, but in the end it's just a resolder job. Some of the components may have changed value or be bad and it's difficult to test each part at home. Also, if you aren't REAL good at soldering and overheat the board you can make it unrepairable.
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. Rotella ELC. DashBoss. '08 Mirrors. Mishimoto Rad and 200° stat.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Posting Guru

Piolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to behold
Could all 8 injectors throwing codes at the same time also be one of the connectors to the FICM has come loose? I wonder if that would be a good thing to check too.
Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
Yes sir. skipped right over that one.
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. Rotella ELC. DashBoss. '08 Mirrors. Mishimoto Rad and 200° stat.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:53 PM
New User

barryviola is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anyone heard of bulletproof diesel what are thought about it.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 AM
New User

rbforrest is starting off with a positive reputation.
First, thanks for all the info. This site has been a good resource for my research into buying a truck.

I'm looking at a 2006 F-250 6.0L that has had a Banks Big Hoss system installed. Does anyone have any experience with the 6.0 and this system? I'm hoping the system takes care of some of the seemingly inherent problems associated with this engine such as EGR, ECM, TCM, FTE, etc.

Any info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
BulletProofDiesel is a great company.

The Banks BigHoss system does not resolve any issue - except maybe lower temps some.

I don't know what an FTE is on our trucks. It is a great forum though.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM
New User

Kmud1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
06, F-250 Diesel 93,000 miles

Me and my sister are new to owning a Diesel. We got this truck back in Jan from a Dealer. She is a horse trainer and we go to local horse shows etc. We were pulling our trailer with a 2000 Chevy silverado 1500 and it was time to get a bigger size truck. The ford been good the only issue we are having is when We are towing with it the wrench light comes on half way through your trip. And it goes in to Limp home mode". The light only comes on when we are towing never comes on it normal driving. No one that live near me has a computer or a code reader for it. A dealer can only put it on there computer if the light is on. But as soon you turn the engine off it goes off. When we first got the truck it did not come on . I have been up to date on Mainance of it. What would be causeing this? The gauge on the dash do not move at all.

Please help
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmud1 View Post
The ford been good the only issue we are having is when We are towing with it the wrench light comes on half way through your trip. And it goes in to Limp home mode".
I'm willing to bet that it's a turbo boosting issue. When the light comes on what type of terrain is it dealing with? Does it try to build boost and then the wrench light comes on?

Quote:
A dealer can only put it on there computer if the light is on.
I have to worry about the dealer. You can put a code reader on the truck rather or not a light is on. Some codes are only stored and don't trigger a CEL (check engine light).

Quote:
But as soon you turn the engine off it goes off. When we first got the truck it did not come on . I have been up to date on Mainance of it. What would be causeing this? The gauge on the dash do not move at all.
I don't know which gauge you are referring too, but most gauges are relatively useless. The range of each needle position is so broad that by the time that the gauge moves and tells you something is wrong, it's too late.

Also, being up to date is only a portion of taking care of the truck. Lack of driving for extended periods of time can also bring about problems. Particular if the wrench light is coming on due to the turbo. Usually that's due to a sticking turbo which could be caused by the truck sitting for long periods of times.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
........ A dealer can only put it on there computer if the light is on. But as soon you turn the engine off it goes off. When we first got the truck it did not come on ......
This is a bit of misunderstanding. When the Check Engine Light or Wrench Light illuminates a code is Stored. These code can be retrieved for many drive cycles after the light goes out.

An auto parts store (Auto Zone, Adavanced, etc.) will often pull codes for free. You may hear "the light has to be on" from them but if the dealer said that you should go to another one anyway. Often the part stores use a inexpensive code reader that only pulls generic codes. There are "manufacturer specific" codes that require special software.

If your truck has been to the dealership for repairs in the last couple of years it was likely flashed with the latest software which includes a function to turn on the wrench light if the voltage to the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) input voltage is low, which can relate to low batteries, failing alternator or wiring. It also monitors the temperature of your coolant (ECT) and oil (EOT). If the difference between these two values gets too high (indicating the oil cooler is failing) the wrench light comes on.

Oil cooler failure (it get plugged up with rust and debris from the coolant system) is fairly common on our trucks. If that is the problem continuing to drive with the high oil temp (with the light on) could result in much more expensive repairs.

I suggest if you have a smart phone getting a software program and connector for your phone to see what's happening. You may not be able to retrieve the codes for th wrench light but you can see the temps and voltages for yourself. Auto Zone sell a device called the ScanGaugeII that is very capable. Many of us here use them. It does require inputting a bunch of numbers to get the gauges you want to see but it's not hard. About $160. All these things plug in to a connector under the dash, no wiring or anything to install. Alternatively, you could take it to a dealership with Techs familiar with the diesels, or even a good local shop.

Because you're getting the light ONLY when towing I zeroed in on the EOT/ECT issue as it seems the most likely cause. There are more things that turn the wrench light on and some troubleshooting is in order to verify.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
New User

Kmud1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
06 F-250 Diesel

Thank you for your help. The wrench light only comes on when you are towing. When we first got the truck did not come on. Now about an hour in to trailering the light comes on. I live in a hilly area of Northern NJ. And we do shift out of tow haul mode as we need. The truck does sit. But only a for like two days at the most. we only use it to haul with nothing else?

Its just rough when your trailering and the light comes on...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM
New User

Slipsc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey all I have an 06 6.0 the wrench light comes on first when I tow but as I going down the interstate now it comes on and I hear some air noise come from under truck
Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipsc View Post
Hey all I have an 06 6.0 the wrench light comes on first when I tow but as I going down the interstate now it comes on and I hear some air noise come from under truck
You need to get the truck scanned to find out what the code is. The wrench light IIRC is only for 3 or 4 very specific codes and takes more than a generic code reader to get them. Even if the wrench light goes out the code will still be stored. It could be for high temp delta's between the engine oil temps and engine coolant temps or an over/underboost situation. There's one or two more but I don't know them.

Rest in peace Mojo. My friend and faithful companion you shall ever be.

Tim
Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 PM