Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnmcmahan View Post
I'm with you Hubnut, I knew I had a high maintenance truck but the problems I read here are down right scary. My '06 has145k and I drive it every day, even to church. The biggest problem I've had is when an idiot, me, filled up with gasoline. WOW what a four hour ride that was. Sometimes fast sometimes slow but plenty of smoke. I think I used my grandson's lifetime carbon credits. Cost me a $1k for a dealership clean job. Wasn't too funny at the time.
The other problem is finding a trustworthy mechanic that doesn't expect a trip to Hawaii
When he changes an "o" ring on the fuel filter leak, ouch.
Looking for a system analyzer that I can use that will at least give a little assurance that I'm not getting ripped off. Not interested in the super HP settings. Just an instrument that will point out a problem if one exist. Maybe I should wish for a Geni?

First of welcome to FTE

Go get ya a ScanGaugeII to monitor the truck with 160.00 and will show you a ton of stuff its not a Tuner its just a Gauge

And now that you found FTE start studing up Take it with a Grain of salt only folks reaserching problems usually end up here but for the most part stay on top of the PM and you will be FINE

And get that SGII theres a couple things to watch for so when you get your gauge Just ask theres A TON Of Helpful Folks on here so if you dont know just ask

With the SGII I have caught all my problems so far before it was an issue

www.scangauge.com check it out and they also sell them at auto zone
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Looking for a system analyzer that I can use that will at least give a little assurance that I'm not getting ripped off.
The ScanGaugeII will read tons of stuff, it's about the best bang for the buck and is very very popular around here. If you're looking for actual diagnostic capability the AutoEnginuity program is the only thing I've heard of that's decently priced that can run two-way communications with the truck and actually run tests. I'm pretty sure Dukie has the AE, maybe someone one who uses it can chime in.

I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Freshman User

Lynnmcmahan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brain picker

Thanks guys for you help. A very interesting site you have here, very informative. My time well spent
Thanks again,
Lynn
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Quote:
Thanks guys for you help. A very interesting site you have here, very informative. My time well spent
Thanks again,
Lynn
correction - "a very informative site WE have here ..."

You are now part of it - welcome to FTE!
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
New User

AK-Allen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Opinion

So if a guy was looking for a Ford truck, and having problems finding 7.3's but 6.0's are all around, would you go for a 6.0? Also if you would go for the 6.0 what would you put at the top of the list for things to do? Outside of changing all the fluids & filters.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
First thing I would buy is a Scangauge II, or something similar to take shopping with me.

Checking everything I could before the purchase. It could lead you to what could or should be done to the truck first.

2004 Late Build CC LB 4x4 6.0L

"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 06-12-2012, 02:19 PM
New User

bcpape is starting off with a positive reputation.
-----------
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Posting Guru

King-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant futureKing-bRanch has a brilliant future
Quote:
I've not had a single problem with the truck
Why would u sell a perfectly good truck
Of course there are problems w/every thing & unfortunatly "good" things rarely get posted, but i will say even after knowin of problems w/the 6.0 i still bought one.
I did not want a newer one w/that stupid DEF system on it, i drive truck for a living (haul gas local) & it seems as if there are alot of bug's w/these systems.
Also i hear it can cost $5-7k to replace 1 of those DEF exhaust systems
The 6.0 on the other hand has been around long enough & people are now informed on it & can repair/prevent those problems...Iam keepin mine
Edge CS programmer, MBRP Dual Exhaust, S&B Cold-Air Box, Banks High-Ram Intake, Sinister Coolant Filter, DVD/CD/Back-Up Cam system w/2 rear TV's, custom Painted Grille/Headlights, N-Fab Bar's, Cowl Induction Hood, BoonDock Bumper's, mild Suspension Lift, Detroit TrueTrac, XD Rims w/BFG Tires & much more...Warren
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
New User

----------------
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpape View Post
IF and it needs to be a huge IF, you insist on the 6.0L, Make sure it's at least a 2005 or newer. 2003 was a disaster. Many 2004's have 2003 built engines that have the same problems as the 2003 model year vehicles. (Ask me how I know!) The ideal engine would have had the injectors changed as well as the FICM, EGR delete, ARP Head Studs with new head gaskets and a Bullet Proof oil cooler thrown in for good measure. That's a pretty good start. A bonus would be an engine that has lived on Rotella T6 and RevX additive to keep the injectors happy.

Keep one thing in mind - There are 6.0's all around for sale for a good reason and 7.3's are harder to find. Why? A 7.3 is far and away a much better engine. Consider this- The 7.3's actually got their start back in the early 80's. It was the 6.9 then, but the same block and engine. The 7.3 displacement came later to accomodate Turbo Charging. They ran that engine for OVER 20 YEARS!! They dropped the 6.0L after how many years? 4? Nuff said...
I disagree w/ most of what you have said, but who knows .... maybe your other 2 posts give evidence of experience and expertise.

Lots of great 2003's out there.
The EGR system is not a disaster, only if you let it become one.
Injectors are fine if you have clean fuel and keep the pressure up.
Lots of stock and tuned engines on stock head bolts - just watch boost, oil temp delta's, and if you must have a tuner ... choose wisely.
Emissions have dictated planned changes in engines, not your "so called" disaster theory. International is still making the 6.0L btw.

My 6.0L is a far better truck than my 7.3L has ever been - period. Lots of people feel the same way. In general, was the 7.3 more reliable (transmission excluded from the topic)???? Most likely so, but then it was a FAR less complicated engine.

To each his own .......
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 PM
New User

------------
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Post Fiend

From all I have learned, the biggest issue seems to be quality control in parts and engine assembly. Yes there are issues with design (like the early ICP sensors and pigtails, or the early HPOP's, or the STC fitting on the later year HPOP's, or the sealing design on the original dummy plugs, or the later model EGR coolers) but most of the rest of the issues are not really design flaws IMO. Quite frankly, none of these issues are catastrophic IMO (unless they are not addressed quickly)

IMO, 7.3L transmissions were as big of an issue as ANY 6.0L flaw. (btw - forums exist for every make and model - that doesn't make them all garbage).

MANY, MANY early injectors lasted 250k + miles .......... and we know that there were improvements on the 05's and up, so even more reliability can be achieved.

EGR systems certainly can cause issues, but almost all of the EGR problems originate from somewhere else. Poor combustion can create MANY issues. Good electrical system health, good fuel, good fuel pressure, proper filters, etc can result in reliable turbo's, injectors, and EGR systems.

Poor coolant maintenance (and yes Ford should have specified the Gold stuff to be flushed every 50k miles) is a root cause of many issues - but it is easily corrected.

I could go on, but IMO the 03's really did quite well once the Techs got fully trained and proper troubleshooting abilities were developed (except for primarily the ICP sensors and possibly the HPOPs once the engines got past 100k miles). The late model 6.0L only had design issues w/ the EGR cooler, the STC fitting and perhaps the choice of fuel pressure regulator springs.

Issues like poor quality control in head bolt torquing, warped heads, wiring harness chaffing issues, poor software from Ford (like the FICM killer flash), etc coupled with the fact that SO MANY PEOPLE added tuners with poorly written tunes escalated the poor opinions of the 6.0L.

Now we have the benefit of knowing the issues and the fixes. If you can find one that has not been modded improperly and has had all of the proper maintenance, it can be a VERY good deal.

The things that makes me shy away from a used 6.0L are all based on how people abuse them. For example, some folks think that they can fix ALREADY BLOWN head gaskets by installing ARP studs one-at-a-time and just add more clamping force. Others swear that they can go 20k miles on oil changes because they have an aftermarket filter or run amsoil. Lots more examples ......

Anyway, I appreciate the followup post you made. It was well written and explains your background such that we know you are not JUST a "complainer". Threads such as yours from folks with only a few posts sure do look like emotional rants rather than logical discussions - easily taken that way anyway ...................... but then my perspective is that a post should add value.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
My friend at the Ford dealer told me he would NEVER own one of these out of warranty. He sees the problems more than anyone first hand.
I have to ask, is that dealership one of the better ones or is that one of the ones that were known for just throwing parts at the problem? Hell, I've heard in conversations were Ford Techs said the 6.0 had a DPF. Really? That promotes confidence in that tech right there.

Quote:

I would bet good money though, that there are more of me than you. If it weren't the case, these forums wouldn't exist. These forums wouldn't be filled with people begging for help.

These forums are designed for people that that have problems or are wanting to mod the truck (without regard to issues that might be caused due to their ignorence.

I have to ask you, how are you able to segregate those that had legitimate issues with their truck versus the ones that did some stupid things (rather they realize or not, rather they own up to it or not) and blamed it on the reputation of the 6.0? Even with your experiences. I don't know of all that you did or didn't do, how you kept up with the truck or you are another person on here that is just using it's reputation that was tarnished by techs that didn't know better and for sure, owners that didn't know squat and still don't, otherwise you wouldn't be seeing the same questions over and over again for stupid mods.

I would be willing to bet that you won't be able to tell the difference.

Quote:
It's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to drive mine for fear of what will happen next. I am also a former Detroit Diesel mechanic, so I know my way around a diesel engine.
How former are you? My grandfather's last vehicle was the 6.9 IDI and he could work around that engine like no-ones business, but had he lived past '93, I would be willing to bet he wouldn't know his way around this engine and he was a damn good mechanic. What was good 10-15 yrs ago, isn't exactly good for today's times. One of the primary reasons people have issues with the 6.0 and later is thinking like that.

Quote:
I maintain mine the right way, with all the good stuff. I only use Rotella T6 and RevX additive. I use Howes Diesel Treatment. I found that to be the best in my Peterbilts and Macks.
Absolutely no complaints here and I don't use a coolant filter, still have my functioning EGR system that came with the truck when it had 20 miles, it now has well over 200k and I throw more crap at my truck then 90% of the owners on here, if not more.

I don't use any additives at all, not in my fuel and not in my oil.

Quote:
With the proper maintenance, a diesel should be a trouble free workhorse. That's why we pay the extra money for them. With the 6.0l, sadly, it's no more than a crap shoot.
Any vehicle, rather or not you pay a premium, you run the risk of issues. I know an SL600 that had less then 10k on the odometer that had 7 pages worth of DTCs. That's a six figure vehicle that has longer upkeep intervals then ours.

However, that is the key phrase there and I always doubt that it was done, too many people don't do it, then do from the get go.

I also tend to initially doubt people that only joined this month, have a post count of 5 and the only experience that I have with them is knocking the 6.0. I'm not saying your other points were the same, but just the posts of yours that I have experience with.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 AM
New User

Common Ground...

----------
Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Post Fiend

tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Quote:
I didn't buy my 6.0L new, but I did buy it from someone I know, who happens to be a Ford diesel mechanic, so I know the history of my engine and it was well loved since new.
I'm sorry, but that doesn't logically follow just because they are a ford diesel mechanic. I've known my share that had no business working on a 6.0.

I have heard some recommend things that most people on here would not recommend with regard to the 6.0.

You would like to think that they would have been more in the know, but in my experience that doesn't follow. And it is also a shared experience with some of other people on here.

Quote:
After all, they didn't build the engine. And yes, every engine has their issues, but the 6.0L seems to have earned an infamous place in history.
I disagree with the earned. There were too many things happening and owners were getting fixes done under warranty that should never have been approved and owners have had breakdowns that were caused by their own ignorance of the vehicle that they bought.

A lot of people like to think that you should just be able to put the key in the ignition and go. Rather that should or shouldn't be the case is up for debate.

Quote:
He had enough and traded it in on a Dodge Cummins. Still has it today, with just over 300M miles. Only issue he had was a water pump and an alternator. Now THAT"S what I would expect from a diesel...
I had a 5.9, that's what actually brought me back to Ford. It was a dog and it didn't matter what tranny you got in those things, they were both crap.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 AM