Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM
New User

cdnmshoem2002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
89 ford ranger wont start

i have a 89 ford ranger 5 speed that when ever i go to start it i press the cluch in and turn the key and all it does is CLICK CLICK i have replased the battery and the starter solenoid and had the starter checked at 2 diffrant places and it still just CLICKS i need help please or just send me c4 so i can get rid of the dam truck
Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Freshman User

Torgmada is starting off with a positive reputation.
The battery and the alternator tend to go together- I've had to replace both in my 89 crown vic and my 2002 Ford ranger.

You might have replaced the battery just to have it killed by a bad alternator. And if you did kill that battery, it could easily take out the next alternator.

Click click click.... sounds like the classic low power problem.

Also, I'm fresh out of C4.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm also fresh out of C4.

Like Torqmada sez it looks like you're not getting enough juice to the starter.

When I had the same problem on my 87 2.9 I found a bad battery cable with this VERY simple little test.

I used one side of a set of jumper cbles & jumped from the positve battery post to the starter relay. No joy, it still would'nt crank.

Jumped from the negative battery post to the engine block & when it fired right up I knew the negatve battery cable was shot.

8 bucks for a 6 inch battery pig tail at Kragen & problem solved
Old 03-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Posting Guru

powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnmshoem2002 View Post
i have a 89 ford ranger 5 speed that when ever i go to start it i press the cluch in and turn the key and all it does is CLICK CLICK i have replased the battery and the starter solenoid and had the starter checked at 2 diffrant places and it still just CLICKS i need help please or just send me c4 so i can get rid of the dam truck
I am going to assume that you know when you have a fully charged battery. What solenoid did you replace the fender one or the one on the starter. if it was the fender one then when they tested the starter did they also test the solenoid on the starter. if those all work out fine you might consider the clutch positioning switch.

* also i agree with 87xlt to check your cables they can disintegrate under the plastic.

2001 Chevy Prizm, Auto, 108k.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Postmaster

87 XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep, the negative cable was eaten away under the insulation near the battery post.

Did'nt want to bother replacing the entire cable so I just replaced the last 6 inches of it with the pigtail.

I had to get a pigtail that included the smaller ground wire for the ECM ground & I made my own short chasis ground wire out of some old wire I had laying around.

Been working fine for about 4 years now.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Elder User

97ranger xlt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnmshoem2002 View Post
make sure the small wire that attaches to the solenoid on the starter is on good and tight.
i had an issue recently of just getting the click and found the small wire loose.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
23, 87, 89, alternator, click, clicks, ford, juice, pigtail, ranger, solenoid, start, starter, truck, wire, wont