Sponsored by:

running heating oil (kerosene, mazout), in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:33 AM
dark_flame221
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running heating oil (kerosene, mazout), in a diesel engine

Does anybody have any information ?, story about some other people that as try it?, any advice?, i just bought my truck this last week end a 1991 ford f250 7,3l diesel, im waiting to save enough to buy a wvo kit, but while waiting in would like to still be able to save a litle bit more, ive already heard that heating oil and diesel are the same you just pour it in your tank and go, but no so shure so i would like to know what you know about the subject

I'm using heating oil at home so... it would be a litle bit stupid for me to not using it, and i know its illegal just hoping that my post wont be deleted because there is any disccusion about it and i tought that there would have alot of people using heating oil in there truck, so lots of threads about it... but if it is not as simple as that, maybe its normal for me to not finding any post about it, or maybe you just call it diferrant than heating oil ? ..... THX !

Guillaume Dubois
Quebec, Qc, Canada

Last edited by dark_flame221; 03-08-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Heating oil is not taxed for road use and is probably dyed red like off-road diesel, so if you got caught with it you'd be looking at some steep fines.

Also Kerosene does not have the lubricants in it that diesels generally need, so it's not really all that great to run it on the road either.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
With the price of IP's and injectors. I would want all the lubrication I could get so I could run a very long time before replacement. As stated the TAX man would love to find you running red fuel. Also they consider the fuel (in an accident) as hasmat and you would pay for the pumping, disposal, hasmat team costs. For the cost of the taxes relative to this cost. Pay the tax.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guys are right in that heating oil is the same as diesel except that it is dyed and you don't pay road taxes on it in the US. I'm not sure if that same thing holds true in QC. Maybe you should have a conversation with the guy that delivers your fuel at home; he'll know. I had a college buddy whose dad ran only heating oil in his old Nissan Datsun. It was one of those 'it's only illegal if you're caught' deals.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
dark_flame221
New User
yes here in quebec we have our heating oil dyed in red, i tought that kerosene was just a differant name given to heating oil, here we call hit mazout oil, and i know that i risk big fine but here in quebec i pretty shure no cops know that you can put heating oil in your diesel and far less that its illegal..., so i think i will try to mix some with my diesel and see what happen than increase the mix ratio, will give you some new !

kk new edit, no need for testing..... just add a look on wiki for more nickname given too heating oil, and here's is what i found

Red dyes are usually added, resulting in its "red diesel" name in countries like the United Kingdom. Solvent Yellow 124 is added as a "Euromarker" since 2002 in European Union.

Heating oil is very similar to diesel fuel, and both are classified as distillates. It consists of a mixture of petroleum-derived hydrocarbons in the 14- to 20-carbon atom range. That is, heating oil's chemical formula is usually either C14H30, C15H32, C16H34, C17H36, C18H38, C19H40, or C20H42. During oil distillation, it condenses at between 250 and 350 °C (

page : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heating_oil

Thx guy !!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:27 AM
damicofuel
Senior User

Heating oil,off road diesel, diesel fuel is all the same chit!! just different color. Kerosene is lighter viscosity with less lubrication and BTU values. It will all run our trucks.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 AM
drivembig
Senior User
What is the price of heating oil versus petrol diesel?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by drivembig
What is the price of heating oil versus petrol diesel?
The red stuff was almot always close to a dollar a gallon less here in NY. The gap just closed a little to 60 cent. Thats the closest I have seen it in three years but I have been hearing gas is expected to go up soon and I am sure the diesel will go with it.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:09 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
With the price of IP's and injectors. I would want all the lubrication I could get so I could run a very long time before replacement. As stated the TAX man would love to find you running red fuel. Also they consider the fuel (in an accident) as hasmat and you would pay for the pumping, disposal, hasmat team costs. For the cost of the taxes relative to this cost. Pay the tax.
As far as lube goes the best thing to do is run a additive like optilube no matter what you run in your tank Kero HHO or pump. It is cheap insurance that you injectors will last a long time.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dark_flame221
Does anybody have any information ?, story about some other people that as try it?, any advice?, i just bought my truck this last week end a 1991 ford f250 7,3l diesel, im waiting to save enough to buy a wvo kit, but while waiting in would like to still be able to save a litle bit more, ive already heard that heating oil and diesel are the same you just pour it in your tank and go, but no so shure so i would like to know what you know about the subject

I'm using heating oil at home so... it would be a litle bit stupid for me to not using it, and i know its illegal just hoping that my post wont be deleted because there is any disccusion about it and i tought that there would have alot of people using heating oil in there truck, so lots of threads about it... but if it is not as simple as that, maybe its normal for me to not finding any post about it, or maybe you just call it diferrant than heating oil ? ..... THX !

Guillaume Dubois
Quebec, Qc, Canada
We call it heating oil or "HHO"home heating oil. AKA off road diesel. I have seen it talked about every now and again over the years and it is the same stuff you get at the pump but they put the dye in it. I have been on this site a while and it looks to me that the odds of the law looking into your tanks depends on you area. Here on Long Island you will never see the dot pull over a pickup with passenger plates to inspect. They only go after the larger commercial vehicles and that would be out on the highways. I have only seen the dot one time in the town have lived in for 30 years.

As far as out in the farmland of the US it seems to me you have a better chance of having trouble because the use of commercial vehicles and diesel heavy equipment is a lot more prevalent and because of that law is more aware of the dyed diesel situation. So if you live in a suburban area stay off the highways and don't drive around with a bunch of landscaping equipment and Mexicans in the back of you truck you should be ok in the states.

You should alway use a additive such as optilube to help lube the pricey injector so they will last longer. Especially if you use kero or the red stuff.

Good Luck

Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Red97350
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
As said before diesel fuel, home heating oil, and off road diesel are all the same except for the dyes.I have heard that they make filters to filter out the dye, but have never done any research on that, so I don't know how true that is. What I just heard recently is that home heating oil isn't ultra low sulfur, so what I heard the problem is that the smell from your tailpipe is drastically different and most anyone would be able to notice it. I don't know how reliable this information is, so do with it what you want. I think the guy that delivers your home heating oil would be able to confirm whether it is ulsd or not. Hope this helps you out.

Red

Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 AM
dark_flame221
New User
Originally Posted by scatgo
As far as lube goes the best thing to do is run a additive like optilube no matter what you run in your tank Kero HHO or pump. It is cheap insurance that you injectors will last a long time.

could you talk me more about optilube, it look intersting, where can i find that how much does it cost ? thx

Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Some info......https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...be-thread.html.

I think you can only get it from there web site. Mabe some others. Try Opti-lube.com

This site shows the test that has been floating arount the web for a long time..... http://www.spencertechnicalsalesinc....-lube_XPD.html

Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Hey Dark Flame, if you're looking at saving some bucks, want to do it legally and are considering a WVO setup, just blend the waste oil (filtered to 5 micron) 30-50% with regular diesel. I've been running that for over 100,000kms now with zero problems. 50% blend in summer is no problem and 30% works in the winter. When the temps get below -10C you will need to plug the truck in to get it to start. I also run some diesel fuel conditioner in the winter to drop the gel point a bit as well.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CanadianSmokie
Hey Dark Flame, if you're looking at saving some bucks, want to do it legally and are considering a WVO setup, just blend the waste oil (filtered to 5 micron) 30-50% with regular diesel. I've been running that for over 100,000kms now with zero problems. 50% blend in summer is no problem and 30% works in the winter. When the temps get below -10C you will need to plug the truck in to get it to start. I also run some diesel fuel conditioner in the winter to drop the gel point a bit as well.
How about waste motor oil and transmission fluid ??!! I would think if it is filtered down to whatever the trucks filter filters to you would be safe. You could put it in your HHO tank and a pump on the tank and your good to go.
Maybe work a deal with the HHO company to deliver Diesel to your home at a discount bulk rate and mix it right in your HHO tank... Most HHO company's also deliver diesel and kero.

Quick Reply: running heating oil (kerosene, mazout), in a diesel engine