I NEED SOME HELP FELLOW FTE'S

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:37 AM
twall_SD250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I NEED SOME HELP FELLOW FTE'S

I have a 2001 f250sd with a 5.4L it has just under 180,000 miles on it and i noticed today that the right exhaust <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: darkgreen;" id="itxt_nobr_1_0">manifold</nobr> has a crack in it. Its located on the underside in the back of the manifold. I also noticed that both the upper and lower nuts and studs on the back exhaust port are rotted off. I cant tell if they are sheared off at the head or if they are sticking out a little. I also noticed the other 6 nuts are rusted really bad, so bad that i don't know if i can even get a wrench or socket on them.
I have been told that this is a common problem with this manifold. Does anyone have any tricks hints or ideas without taking the head off... whats the easiest way to get the old studs out that are broken and get the old ones out that are not broken with out breaking them so i can put all new stainless steal studs in. I have read it can be done with the head on the <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: darkgreen;" id="itxt_nobr_2_0">truck</nobr> but can be a real PIA job. If ANYONE has come across this before please let me know how you did it
I would like to thank all in advance for there help and comments <!-- / message --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --> <!-- controls -->

Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I replaced my manifold studs, my motor was out, so I'm not a lot of help in that area. None of the studs were broken flush with the head, but some were close. Most broke right where the nut was seated against the manifold. I sprayed them twice a day every day for a week with PB Blaster, and then started removing the one's with nuts very slowly. I used slow steady pressure and the majority came out, with the nut still attached to the stud. When I got the manifolds off, I did the same thing with the PB Blaster to the remaining studs for 2 or 3 more days and then used this tool to finish extracting them. I managed not to break any.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Like I said, I know the situation is completely different, as mine is not a daily driver, but maybe it'll be of some help......

Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 AM
slappysdump
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my 2002 F350 (V-10) to a local independent garage and had the studs replaced, my manifolds were ok so they were reinstalled. The job is a PIA--he had to weld nuts to several studs to remove them and still ended up having to drill some of them out. If you have the tools, time and the talent I say do it yourself. If not find someone in your area that has done this before and see if they can do it for a reasonable price. I would avoid bringing it to a dealership. Also do a search on here, I know there are my threads related to this topic. Good Luck.