Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water getting into oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 PM
gearhead351
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water getting into oil

Hi guy's, My buddy has an 87 F250 with a carb'd 460. The other day his head gasket popped. Well I tore the heads off real quick, Everything looked good.

Well the #2 piston skirt snapped off from that head gasket going. It did gouge the cylinder a bit. Unfortunatly he does not have the funds for boring and new pistons. So We did a quick re-ring of the motor, honing, and put it all back together with a new standard piston.

I fired it up today and ran it for about 10 minutes. Well I noticed out of the back side passenger where the intake meets the head and pan rail, a leak. Well it turned out all the coolant went straight into the pan.

So I pulled the intake off again, the one peice oil pan gasket that has the valley pan, had water ONTOP of the valley pan. Well I guess the intake is leaking right into the lifter vally or something?

I have re-done the intake 3 times now. It is leaking into the intake runners as white exhaust is still appearing also. But also as you fill the radiator, it heads out of the drain plug. water into radiator= oil pan. It is a drip, not a stream.

I cannot figure this out. I pulled all the plugs out, every cylinder is dry. Is the intake manifold cracked perhaps? Head? I need some suggestions please! thanks!

I am sorry for the rant.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do a pressure test on it

if it leaks down get some die *fluorescent color* and put in the radiator then get a UV light *black light* and start it and look for the leak

Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Did you notice any cracks in the block between the cylinders? The original engine in my '88 had that problem. I was losing water and couldn't figure it out. I ended up with three small cracks in the block between the cylinders.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:45 AM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
did you recover the snapped piston skirt? it could have easily cracked a water passage in the block if it took a vacation at speed. are the head/block mating surfaces good and true? too much warpage and it may not seal well.

the UV test will probably be your best bet.