Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
New User

BobLevy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Squeak / Groan on Take Off (96 Ranger)

Hi, this is my first post and we just bought a '96 Ranger XLT 3.0 5spd 2WD extended cab w/ ~99900 miles.

I have recorded a 10 second video demonstrating it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Xk2J4gVDY

Only when taking off from stopped (1st or Reverse), the truck produces a groan / squeak noise for a second or so. If we are excessively gentle taking off, sometimes it won't make the sound. Clutch and transmission work smoothly through all gears.

Anyone know what might cause something like this?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Is the sound inside the cab or external? If inside, it almost sounds like a power brake booster valve that is makes noise as the vacuum is shut off. Or a vacuum line to one of the heater control gizmos. It does not sound mechanical to me, such as a brake drum or rotor. Too quick and soft.
tom
Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw View Post
Is the sound inside the cab or external? If inside, it almost sounds like a power brake booster valve that is makes noise as the vacuum is shut off. Or a vacuum line to one of the heater control gizmos. It does not sound mechanical to me, such as a brake drum or rotor. Too quick and soft.
tom
Thanks TomW, the noise is external. Standing outside the truck listening to a helper take off, sounds like it's coming from the bottom under the cab maybe.

It's louder from outside than the video portrays.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Elder User

Rangerman Stan is starting off with a positive reputation.
BobLevy, are you still in the process of letting out the clutch when this sound occurrs but still have a little ways to go with the pedal? If so, this sound may be coming from the clutch disc as it gets squeezed by the pressure plate. If a little bit of dust gets imbeded in the disc it can let it slide or slip on the face of the pressure plate or flywheel while other parts of the disc are trying to engage with the flywheel or pressure plate. So while these two things are trying to happen at the same time it produces the noise you hear. (It's some what similar to squeeling the tires when you want to or locking up the brakes in a panic stop. The brakes have stopped the rotation of the tires but the speed of the car makes the tires slide and they squeel when they slip on the pavement.) If it's been a while since you've been into the clutch you may need to replace it or at least have it looked at. My five speed Ranger did the same thing for a while at one point, but I knew the clutch wasn't very old. So I just let it go till I could get to it and it went away on it's own and never came back. Not that I'm recommending doing that, just letting you know what occured with mine. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerman Stan View Post
BobLevy, are you still in the process of letting out the clutch when this sound occurrs but still have a little ways to go with the pedal?
Hi Rangerman Stan. The sound is heard w/in a split second after the clutch pedal is out, gas applied, and the vehicle begins to move. It is heard only when moving from a stop in 1st or Reverse (not during up/down shifts while moving).

My wife (learning to drive a standard) discovered that if we take off by slowly releasing the clutch with no gas applied, it will not produce the sound. So it seems to be produced in some way by the additional torque of applying gas while taking off.

Might that inspire any additional thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
It's possible the transmission is shifting on its mount, or the engine on its mounts. Another possibility is the U-joints. They can squeak as any internal slack is taken up and the load applied.
Ummmh, can you hang a microphone under the cab to get the full sound effect? Your cell on a string? Someone strapped to the transmission? Heh.
Actually, I would lie on my back and, with eyeglasses of some sort on, inspect the underside of the cab, try to shake the transmission tail housing, cross member and any and all cables that look as if they could move around due to acceleration. The drivetrain will shift to the left as you accelerate, and everything else will try to shift towards the rear... The speedometer cable (if you even have one) will be a different case as it has both motions. Get under, grab and shake...
tom
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
6122, acceleration, brakes, ford, groaning, groans, letting, low, noise, ranger, reverse, sound, speed, squeaking, squeaks, suburban, truck