1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

NEW

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by splay
will a big block fit in the 50's trucks? if i do a swap i want to try to do something really nice and also id like to try to do something different that no one else has done.
There's lots of room under the hood of these old trucks and a big block anything will fit right in. Like other have mentioned, the more HP under the hood the better the brakes need to be and the rear end must be beefed up. A 57-72 Ford nine inch is practically a bolt in. I think the oddest engine I've seen in these old trucks is a 289 Studebaker V8. Now that's different.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:36 PM
splay
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow a study motor that is odd. no i do want to keep everything ford.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 PM
SunDown
Senior User
You will also be happy to know that things rust much slower in oregon than say, here in the midwest. This trucks metal should be in good shape, if anything, maybe covered in a little moss. I lived in Portland for 9 years and never saw so many original (OLD) vehicles running around as daily transport.

you're getting great advise thus far and if I could add a little more to the opinion pool. Having torn down many a project vehicle, put a little effort into the stock engine, whatever it may be, get it running if possible without much effort and see if you can at least take it around the block. Having a running truck makes a world of difference in the progress of the project. For instance, lets say you want more power or realibility than what the flatty can give ya, find an engine do your thing to it first and when its ready to go, drop it into the ford. Small steps, and keep your focus and you can do anything with the truck. But having it run, no matter the condition goes a long way in keeping your spirits up!

My 53 F-100 has been off the road and in project status longer than I have been alive...and I'm 33 (thanks dad!). If that gives you an idea of how bad it CAN get.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 PM
splay
Freshman User
lol i hear you there i know that the motor will probablly have to be totally rebuilt. and i know the brakes and what not all have to be replaced. as far as i know its been atleast 34 years since it ran last as i have never seen it used. the first step thoug is to get it here so i can get my hands dirty. i totally want to get it here asap.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Is there someone who can send you pictures of it, detailed pics so you can first decide if it's even worth hauling cross-country? It could easily cost you a grand just to have a pile of junk delivered to your doorstep.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM
splay
Freshman User
well i know it shouldnt be that bad i do know it needs alot of work. but to me as long as its not a toal loss which i believe its not then it would be worth it