Sponsored by: DP Tuner

cracked piston/ blown motor answers on page 154 of April Dsl Pwr magazine

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:20 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cracked piston/ blown motor answers on page 154 of April Dsl Pwr magazine

On page 154 of the new DP magazine a 7.3 owner wrote it after he blew his motor while towing. Great article in the tech section that explained what can happen and no he/she said nothing about TUNING. Attachment in post #3

Old 03-06-2010, 02:31 PM
gradyc
wellhead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am on my way to get the DP magazine now.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure if this will work but I will try to attach a pic and see if you can read it. Its kind of blurry hopefully you can read enough of it.

Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
And if it's still too blurry? Maybe you would paraphrase it for those of us that already have enough trouble seeing.

Thanks for anything you could tell us.

Pop

Old 03-07-2010, 06:32 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Letter says '02 F-350 7.3 towing a 38' fifth vacation trailer. Started missing, dipstick blown out, oil everywhere. Pulling the head found #5 piston popped, and scored the block. Uses a Superchip controller in Tow Safe mode, AFE intake, Banks compressor wheel, full set of gauges and never let the EGTs exceed 1200 degrees. Ford mech postulated a misfiring injector. The writer bemoaned the disparity between a $10K engine and an insufficient answer like that.

The article quotes a Brad Makinen of G&I Diesel in Billings: "Clogged oil squirters caused by cheap oil filters," based upon a fixing a string of 20 different PSDs with the same problem.
The article supports this by saying the injectors cool the piston, hence insufficient cooling caused by insufficient fuel supply caused by clogged injectors caused a superheated piston to expand and swell and score the walls - that's what fried the piston.
Therefore, ONLY OEM filters should be used.
Interesting. Not sure I buy this, as I would think that insufficient fuel delivery would also show up as other problems, and much earlier than a lunched piston.

Perhaps the answer is already there, based upon the way his letter to the magazine was phrased: "...and (I) never let the EGTs exceed 1,200 degrees." Was he riding close to 1200? Maybe he was having to frequently adjust his driving to keep it below 1200? I would like to know more about the conditions and events leading up to it.

And maybe the Editor rearranged the letter writer's phrasing and all this reading between the lines is inconsequential!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I've heard of the jets falling off, but if they were getting plugged, you think we would have heard of this issue by now. That's a pretty big hole to "plug". I think if your engine oil was that bad, the injectors would have failed long ago.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
I've heard of the jets falling off, but if they were getting plugged, you think we would have heard of this issue by now. That's a pretty big hole to "plug". I think if your engine oil was that bad, the injectors would have failed long ago.
I may have miss read it, but seems the writer was eluding to the cooling jets, and "fuel" injector holes being clogged. I went to pick that issue up yesterday and the PX was out.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CPUNeck
I may have miss read it, but seems the writer was eluding to the cooling jets, and "fuel" injector holes being clogged. I went to pick that issue up yesterday and the PX was out.
I read the above paraphrase again and perhaps you're right. But if this guy is saying that diesel fuel being sprayed into the piston is what cools the cylinder, and a plugged injector that no longer squirted fuel caused that cylinder to overheat.... I'm wondering if he has his own set of videos on youtube.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by F350-6
I read the above paraphrase again and perhaps you're right. But if this guy is saying that diesel fuel being sprayed into the piston is what cools the cylinder, and a plugged injector that no longer squirted fuel caused that cylinder to overheat.... I'm wondering if he has his own set of videos on youtube.
Haha , couldn't have said it better. If that is in fact what the article reads, I'm corn fused. Seems two systems are being referred to as ONE. Might just save my five bucks.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 AM
piotrsko
Elder User
being that I used to do this: How about a glaring inaccuracy in the pyro? Anybody EVER calibrate theirs? Old school analog are probably not closer than 5% which could be at 1260 deg F, way above 1100 to 1200 melting point of alum, and above the point in alum that the stuff gets so soft as to be able to deform.
The digital stuff is a bit better providing the comparator has been set correctly.

now I admit that there are other factors to the actual temp of the piston top and the exhaust temp may or may not be the temp of the cylinder, BUT.....

FWIW we had this problem way back in 86 with the early 6.9's which they fixed by supposedly adding more fuel to selected cyls.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the response talked about 2 possible scenarios:
1) melted pistons caused by a bad injector, the premise being that if only 1 cylinder is misfiring, the pyro might not detect the higher temps since it is sensing exhaust from several cylinders. Also, most of us only have a pyro in one bank.

2) cracked cylinders, which could be caused by high CP's from too much fuel, propane, and/or nitrous, or by running high temperatures (1000+) for a large percentage of the time towing, or by a plugged/missing cooling jet.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Wouldn't a clogged injector cause that cyl. to be lower on temp than one that is working properly ? IDK

Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No mention of the location of the pyro...

Injectors do NOT cool the tops of the pistons.

You could run a motor with an injector unplugged for days on end with no issue other then the obvious miss.

Cooling jets cool the bottoms of the pistons.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:58 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by banjopicker66

The article quotes a Brad Makinen of G&I Diesel in Billings
I am assuming it is G&J diesel. He does a lot of powerstroke work in Billings. Every time I have been in there the shop is full of them.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:09 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Your at the mercy of the owner stating. "dude, i never went over 1200`" to not make himself not guilty.. If he said he occasionally went to 1600 on cruise control and not paying attention, and had this issue, he would get lambasted. 38ft is a big camper and heavy. Doubt he was staring at his Pyro the entire time of his trip

Not sure if would catch the Pyro heading over the limit while hauling the 5th wheel on the thruway, cruising along on cruise relaxing listening to the radio. I like my defueling safe guard.

My Pryo will head up to 1000` really fast pulling my camper, no chip. Can't imagine having to watch a gauge for life or death.

Quick Reply: cracked piston/ blown motor answers on page 154 of April Dsl Pwr magazine