1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gas running back to tank when sitting

Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 AM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Gas running back to tank when sitting

When ever I let my truck sit for more than a few days, the gas runs back to the tank. Is there something, other than getting an electric fuel pump, I can do to prevent this? It's kinda annoying.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,131 Likes on 1,682 Posts
I thought there was a check valve in the gas filter,that's why there is an arrow on it,maybe I could be wrong,Gigger

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM
black58
Elder User
What filter are you using? I have one of those clear glass filters with the replaceable element.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,131 Likes on 1,682 Posts
I like the inline clear ones so I can see what's inside it, it came from Auto Value or one of those places,Gigger

Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure your gas cap is vented

Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
I thought there was a check valve in the gas filter,that's why there is an arrow on it,maybe I could be wrong,Gigger
Usually not, the arrows just make sure flow is from the outside of the media to the inside.

This is a real common "problem". An electric pump near the tank is the usual solution. If it happens in a matter of hours there may be a small leak in a connection that is letting air in.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
I guess that the only question I have is how do you know that the gas is running back to the tank? If the float bowl is full of gas then the engine should start up and run just fine...even if the fuel line is empty for a few seconds.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
black58
Elder User
That's a good point, the carb (Edelbrock 1406) was new in the spring, I guess I just figured it must be something else. I'm not familiar with these carbs at all, what would cause gas to leave the bowl?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your oil to see if gas is leaking into the pan - DANGER - if so - besides ruining an engine you could be sitting on a time bomb just waiting to EXPLODE

Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by black58
That's a good point, the carb (Edelbrock 1406) was new in the spring, I guess I just figured it must be something else. I'm not familiar with these carbs at all, what would cause gas to leave the bowl?
I have the same carb and the same problem. If it sets 3 days, you have to crank on it until it fills back up with gas. I think it is leaking out into the engine. I bought it new and I think it is a piece of junk. Runs too rich, bought the kit to re jet it, put in smaller jets and changed metering rods per the instructions. No effect at all. Called Edelbrock and they say float level to high. I checked and it was correct, later took it to a mechanic and he checked it also. Then they claimed fuel pressure too high, so I put on a regulator and set the pressure at 4 psi as they recommended. No change. I have talked to probably 20 people with this carb. About half of them have the same problems and the other half are very happy. Apparently there is a big difference from carb to carb.
I am ready to throw this one in the junk pile. Hope you have better luck.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 PM
hmd_56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your line connection at the tank first. My 56 behind the seat tank would do the same thing. However, I traced it down to the "nut" that holds the flared line in the top of the tank. tank. I fixed it by using Rector Seal paste thread sealant (with teflon in it) on the treads and it cured the problem.
You should check each connection in the fuel line for tightness all the way to the carb as well. Sometimes just losening the clamps and repositioning them will fix the problem. But if it is a screw together flared fitting ANYWHERE use the Teflon paste thread sealer. It worked for me.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:28 AM
black58
Elder User
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Check your oil to see if gas is leaking into the pan - DANGER - if so - besides ruining an engine you could be sitting on a time bomb just waiting to EXPLODE
I'll check on that, I should be able to just use my sniffer, right?

I pulled a Holley off for this Edelbrock. I like the Holley's much better, but it had a leak in the secondary diaphragm. There are different diaphragms available for that carb, all with different specs. I couldn't get an answer about which one I needed and I had bought the Edelbrock for a project that sold, so I swapped 'em out.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dongc1
I have the same carb and the same problem. If it sets 3 days, you have to crank on it until it fills back up with gas. I think it is leaking out into the engine. I bought it new and I think it is a piece of junk. Runs too rich, bought the kit to re jet it, put in smaller jets and changed metering rods per the instructions. No effect at all. Called Edelbrock and they say float level to high. I checked and it was correct, later took it to a mechanic and he checked it also. Then they claimed fuel pressure too high, so I put on a regulator and set the pressure at 4 psi as they recommended. No change. I have talked to probably 20 people with this carb. About half of them have the same problems and the other half are very happy. Apparently there is a big difference from carb to carb.
I have the same carb on my 60, but I have an electric fuel pump mounted at the tank. I have not experienced such a problem or it is masked by the electric pump. I agree the carb runs a little rich but am not ready to pitch it.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by dongc1
.....Then they claimed fuel pressure too high, so I put on a regulator and set the pressure at 4 psi as they recommended. No change. I have talked to probably 20 people with this carb. About half of them have the same problems and the other half are very happy. Apparently there is a big difference from carb to carb.
Which regulator did you use? If it is the round "Spectre" regulator (sold under other names too), it is junk and likely not doing anything to help. The Holley 12-704 is the good stuff
Holley Performance Products Two Port 4.5-9 PSI *12-704

I had an Edelbrock carb on a 460 for almost 8 yrs and never had a problem, never leaked a drop either. Few Holleys can claim that

Old 03-06-2010, 11:53 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Unless the fuel pump is bad, the gas can't run back to the tank. You can check it by disconnecting the fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump, plug the line from the tank and install a temp line from the inlet of the fuel pump thru a hole in the top of a glass jar. If it is really leaking back, there will be gas in the jar after a short time. If there is I'd suspect the check ***** in the fuel pump are sticking. The typical reason for a carb going dry when sitting is dried and shrunken carb gaskets allowing the gas to evaporate or leak into the engine or onto the ground. Pull out the dipstick and take a good whiff of it. Does it smell like raw gas? Does the oil level increase? Do you smell gas when you first open the hood or when parked inside a garage? The fact you stated that you had this carb sitting around for a while leads me to suspect the gaskets.
One more possibility is an unvented fuel tank is forming a vacuum pulling the fuel back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas running back to tank when sitting