Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 PM
New User

budsweeds is starting off with a positive reputation.
1955 ford f-100 tires

Question??? The original ford f-100 tires, were they black wall or whitewall and if they were white wall what was the width of the white stripe?
If black wall, was any time that year, that white wall would be ordered as an option? Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Postmaster

bigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to behold
All of my 56 brochures show black wall tires. I didnt see it listed for 56 as an option.

I just always assumed they were always Black
Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
I would venture to guess if a customer wanted whitewalls on their new truck, the dealer would have them installed, whether it was an available option or not.

Click the image to open in full size.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100 View Post
All of my 56 brochures show black wall tires. I didnt see it listed for 56 as an option.

I just always assumed they were always Black
I agree. In all my publications, brochures, and literature I have never seen a truck with white walls nor seen it listed as an option.

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Postmaster

bigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
I would venture to guess if a customer wanted whitewalls on their new truck, the dealer would have them installed, whether it was an available option or not.

Yes you are correct about the dealer doing it as a dealer in Denver Colorado called Bob Jones Skyliner Ford was customizing new trucks. There is a great article about it in the December 1956 Hot Rod magazine.

At Bob Jones, they were pulling the engines and installing 312's with tri-power drop front axles, wide whites, louvers on the hoods, fender skirts, chrome stacks, custome interriors, spot lights hood birds installed etc all this was done when the trucks were NEW. I used to live in Denver and I met a fellow who owned 2 of these trucks. very cool.

As far as ford was concerned they came with black wall tires from the factory
Old 03-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
This is a great picture of a brand new truck. Besides the blackwall tires, notice the hubcaps, painted not stainless.

Also, is the gas cap black? I have seen in literature that all gas caps are black from F-100 up to F-700 and up. My truck had a rusty chrome cap when I bought it from my grandfather and he bought it new. Don't know if it was a replacement cap or not. I have seen this picture before and noticed the black cap. I have not seen any other pics of new trucks that you could see for sure if they had black gas caps.

abe
Old 03-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Junior User

thechassisman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
This is a great picture of a brand new truck. Besides the blackwall tires, notice the hubcaps, painted not stainless.

Also, is the gas cap black? I have seen in literature that all gas caps are black from F-100 up to F-700 and up. My truck had a rusty chrome cap when I bought it from my grandfather and he bought it new. Don't know if it was a replacement cap or not. I have seen this picture before and noticed the black cap. I have not seen any other pics of new trucks that you could see for sure if they had black gas caps.
Odd that it has the Custom Cabs extra trim but no emblem or lock on the door, and the wheels are body colored instead of Snowshoe White.. could this be a pre 55 Ford archives photo and not what they actually made for 55? Mark
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechassisman View Post
Odd that it has the Custom Cabs extra trim but no emblem or lock on the door, and the wheels are body colored instead of Snowshoe White.. could this be a pre 55 Ford archives photo and not what they actually made for 55? Mark
good point about the wheel color! I didn't catch that. Yes, it probably was a mockup of an early '55, and they hadn't thought about the door emblem for the Custom Cab or changing the wheel color from body color tosnowshoe white.

abe
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
150, 1954, 1955, cap, f100, f700, fender, fiberglass, ford, forum, fuel, skirts, tires, truck, wall, white