Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Guages vs. Digital Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Duck Hunter81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guages vs. Digital Monitors

I was getting ready to order a set of Phantom Autometer guages from clay and then started thinking I might like a digital monitor better. Anyone have any experince with them? How accurate are they since they plug into the factory plug? What are some deceent brands/models in the $300-400 price range?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Duck Hunter81
I was getting ready to order a set of Phantom Autometer guages from clay and then started thinking I might like a digital monitor better. Anyone have any experince with them? How accurate are they since they plug into the factory plug? What are some deceent brands/models in the $300-400 price range?
I ran a BullyDog Outlook way back in 2005, and was not impressed. The digital numbers would never stay on one number long enough to read it. To be fair it may have just been set up to sample to quickly, and they may have worked the bugs out, but I really like my Isspros a whole lot better than the digital.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont like the idea of the factory plugin's just like to put the sensors where i like them.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
i cant type fast an some.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Duck Hunter81
Senior User
I know that some of them you can setup a guage like screen with multiple readings. I want to monitor several things just don't like the idea of 6-7 guages. Would eventually like, EGT, Boost, Tranny temp, Oil temp, coolant temp, rear diff temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure and battery voltages.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that some of them you can setup a guage like screen with multiple readings. I want to monitor several things just don't like the idea of 6-7 guages. Would eventually like, EGT, Boost, Tranny temp, Oil temp, coolant temp, rear diff temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure and battery voltages.
You would need senders no matter what for rear diff temp, coolant temp, fuel pressure and boost if you want to see above 22psi...

A quad A pillar and a Quad over head and your there...

Isspro EV2 or Performax...

Old 03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Like Joe said, its not just plug and play. You still have to run senders for a lot of that stuff.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
I have an X monitor and it has all its own sensors. Boost pyro trans. I guess if you install a bullydog then maybe it reads from the stock stuff but the x monitor doesnt. Or at least mine doesnt. Plus I think you can get a turbo timer for the X monitor now to where it cools down the truck and then shuts it off. I guess once again just preference.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Im running the AeroForce Scan Gauges... LOVE THEM. They will monitor anything the truck has with a sensor on it.... Unfortunately our trucks DONT have EGT probe from the Factory. So i would have to add one plus get a special $100+ box so the gauge could understand what the probe is saying. Also when i am looking at my boost, since my DP interferes with my map sensor the gauge doesn't cooperate when im in a tune.

So i am adding a Manual EGT gauge and boost gauge on my "A" pillar...

i love my Aero Force gauges. I can be driving down the road and get DTC codes. Plus they can CCT and buzz test.

Oh and they look awesome... I got the two gauge set up but you can just get one.

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor Ford Order

I mounted mine over the rear view mirror. They plug into the OBD11 port.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Unless you have a manual your coolant temp is worthless... Still need senders for fuel pressure, diff temps, boost if you want to see over 22-25psi...

I like the Scan gauges, but its not a fix all IMHO

Biggest reason... What happens when you have an issue with your bully dog, or any kind of moniter... You are out all your gauges...

Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Power Hungry Performance offers a programmer and gauges in one, you can find the details on their website but its supposed to be pretty good.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Power Hungry Performance offers a programmer and gauges in one, you can find the details on their website but its supposed to be pretty good.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

I run BD performance's X Monitor also. It comes w/pyr o,boost and tranny. you can also add remote sensors for diff or xtra fuel tank etc.
I likes it so much in my 97 i bought another on and put it in my 02

Barney

Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Biggest reason... What happens when you have an issue with your bully dog, or any kind of moniter... You are out all your gauges...
What Joe said...

Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Originally Posted by lostmybeer
What Joe said...
What Tom said..........

Quick Reply: Guages vs. Digital Monitors