1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 f5 wheels and tire question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
A 7.50 x 20 would work on a 5" or 6" lock ring. So yes, those traction tires on the Chevy would work on your F-6. Just be carefully pulling them off those Chevy widowmakers.

A 5" rim will have generally 4.75" or 5" of offset; a 5.5" rim will have 5"; a 6" rim will have 5.5"; and a 6.5" rim will have 5.75" of offset. I say generally since there'll be exceptions, but the exceptions will probably result in making the wheel have more dual clearance than less. The 8.25" tire was spec'd for either a 6.00" or 6.50" rim. Any of these should work on your F-6 since I doubt you'll be loading it like it was originally built to handle.

If you find 22.5s, they came in three widths. The earliest ones were a 5.25" width, then also came 6.00" and 6.75". The two narrower rims were spec'd for either a 7" or 8" tire, but the narrowest 22.5 tire you'll find today is a 9". The 6.75" rim is spec'd for the 9". So, putting the 9" tire on the narrower rims would cause some crowning of the tread surface. While this is against the manufacturers' recommendations, I've talked to Chuck about his truck and he says the 9" tire on his 5.25" rims really makes the truck steer nicely. So, maybe it doesn't matter. IIRC, he also said he had some rubbing on the extremes of the turning radius when he had the 6.75" rims on the truck.

I still look for 19.5s. Have you got a line on some of them? Saw a boat load of them on motorhomes when we were on vacation, but I figured the owners wouldn't understand that we have a greater need for them than they do. I've got a set of the remanufactured kind that I got from AWS when I was out there a couple years ago. There were originally bought by a Les Schwab customer for his motorhome, then returned because he didn't think they were balanced well enough for highway use. AWS replaced them with the new imported variety. I figured they'd never have to go highway speed on one of my trucks, so I bought them right. I guess I'd sell them but, like with any wheels, shipping would be a killer. Stu

Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Stu,
I tried to call the place back but haven't been able to get ahold of the guy since the first time I talked to him. I will check to see if he has any 19.5" wheels also. I'll keep ya posted if I find anything good

Dan
I had a tire shop quote me $20 per wheel to break them down. I also was checking around a bit on possible shipping option to Texas, What is your zip code? and did you get a weight on the wheel yet?

Cheers

Josh

Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 AM
ShovelheadDan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, Sir, I haven't been able to get the tire off the rim in the couple of hours I had to spend on it. There is supposes to be a notch between two dimples and I can find the dimples but if there is a notch under that ring, its a little one. I'll get out there and try again. Now, I have a buddy that is a truck driver. His route is usually between Tennessee and Los Angeles but he said he could get one through salt Lake City any time he wanted. He also needs to know how much they weigh so I will try to get one weighed soon. He will have to strap them to his catwalk behind his truck. I told him they were 20" wheels maybe 8 or 10" tall laying down. Is that about right? He says he may can lay them down in a row of three across and two high with the seventh, (if I want a spare) on top. He will pay you and I'll reimburse him when I see him next. Thank you, this may actually work out!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 PM
ShovelheadDan
New User
Also, being as how I am able to dodge the shipping costs, I can pay you for all your trouble. This is looking like a win-win situation.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ShovelheadDan
Also, being as how I am able to dodge the shipping costs, I can pay you for all your trouble. This is looking like a win-win situation.

Dan,
I emailed you, or tried to. I'm not sure if you got it though??
I was hoping to drop off the tires/wheels tommorrow to be dismounted.
I would like to talk with you some more about the details etc. can you call or email me? 801-694-8826 or quartercorner@yahoo.com

thanks
Josh

Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Josh - The yellow IH had 22.5s (on three corners showing anyway, don't know what it had on the inside duals), and one 20" lock ring on the other corner. Here's the pic of it. I don't remember much else about it, but do know that the place had a qazzilion military 20" tires you might want to think about. They'd only sell the whole truck, but the asking price wasn't terrible. Somebody could buy it, swap their WMs onto it, then resell it cheap. Stu

Well Stu,
This poor old truck is slated for the recycler! I called them on Monday to ask about it and my heart skipped a couple beats when he told me the truck had been recycled.... Then he proceeds to tell me that they are still actively pulling a few parts off it before it heads to the crusher, like the radiator etc.
So in short, I have acquired all of these wheels! And sounds like I couldn't have had better timing either!!!!!

paid a little bit more for them than I wanted to, but then I guess I'm used to stealing these things away from the scrap man...

Stu, I owe ya lunch or dinner or something next time your out this way....
more wheels saved, great price, and an even better Scout who found them, Who else could drive over a thousand miles from home and drive around my neighborhood for a few minutes and sniff out some wheels..... Thank You

Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
You called them Monday? Monday! In my reply to your PM this morning, Wednesday, I re-mentioned this truck to refresh your memory thinking it'd be a potential source of wheels for your manure spreader. But you'd already thought of it, called them, and with perfect timing had cut the deal saving them from the crusher. Priceless! Stu

Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Lol, pretty much how it went down but I hadn't finalized the deal until today, hence my uncertainty of the deal going through. When I called Monday I wanted to find out how much the truck was because I wanted to see if buying the entire truck and reselling or other? could be feasible?? or to see if they would just let me swap the wheels for some widow makers??
So, now I need to find one more to make a set of 6. training my sniffer!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Hey guys,

If anyone in the NW needs 4 8.25-20 tires, tubes and flaps that are free for the asking.

I have 4 in good usable condition...... anyone can come and get if they want them!

Cheers Y'all,

Rick
Western Wa.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Thats very generous Rick! Wish I was in the NW, are they traction treads? brand? do you have any pictures?

Cheers

Josh

Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
ShovelheadDan
New User
Josh,
Sorry I never got back to you. My truck driving buddy never got a run out your way and I never did figure out how to get the widowmakers apart. I banged and pried and had half of it moving around in the other half but never could get it to come apart. I finally decided to air it up and see if it would blow apart. I figured I had moved it around enough to dislodge the lip. I put 25 lbs of air in it and it sat there like a stone. I pried on it so much i actually bent the ring a little bit. Beats me how to get them apart. If I ever do, I will just weld a band around one half and nuts around the other half and bolt them together.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
You my friend are a Brave Soul!
Those wheels weigh approx 60lbs each then add another 60-75lbs for the rubber (give or take on the rubber weight depending on size, wear, and how much water and or rust is inside them ...

Right now I only have 1 lockring in my possession but found a guy locally that has a bunch of old trucks with them on. there is another thread going titled " took a walkabout" started by ThunderSnow, Kinda highjacked his thread oops! lol

cheers

Josh

Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Thats very generous Rick! Wish I was in the NW, are they traction treads? brand? do you have any pictures?

Cheers

Josh

Hi Josh!

Yup I do.

They're not new of course! and mounted on WM's which I wouldn't even put air in. (I did deflate them though, and I did drive it around with them on the truck!)

I guess I should just post these pictures in my gallery!

Actually there is a picture in my gallery with them on the truck....

Regards,

Rick

Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
ShovelheadDan
New User
Well, I wasn't all that brave. I stuck it up under my utility trailer when I aired it up so if it blew up, it would just pick the ***-end of the trailer up. (it is a heavy trailer).
I have a brand new set of 20" tires but am almost at the point of looking for 2 ton axles to stick under it and buying another set of tires for whatever size I end up with.
Do you know what a school bus axle is rated for?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM
ShovelheadDan
New User
I'll see if I can find how to post pictures. If I can, I'll put one up of my truck

Quick Reply: 51 f5 wheels and tire question