Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Posting Guru

bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dually Tire rotation

What does everyone do for rotating tires on a dually? Im coming up on 6000 miles on my new set of tires and was wondering what is recommended

SHAWN : PAA# 102 --
2012 F250 CC Lariat FX4 / White Platinum / 3.55e
2009 Outback Sydney 310BHS
Gone but not forgotten--2001 / 7.3L / 2wd / CC/ lwb / manual trans / dually / 160K
Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
I dont know. never though about it on a dually.
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.25 Cent. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. B&W Gooseneck, AE Ford Bundle. Member On RHN
Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Senior User

ltl_jrw is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know about your truck but mine has polished wheels all the way around and up front that are only polished on the side facing out but not polished on the inside. In order to rotate my tires I would have to dismount the tires in order to rotate them sooooooooooooo I don't, not wanting to take the chance of dinging the wheels. I just keep a eye on the tires.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
I got 80,000 miles out of my last set of Michelin tires. I rotated them once, front to rear, then just switched them from side to side once. You have to break down the tires to rotate them because we have front only and rear only wheels.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Posting Guru

bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
I got 80,000 miles out of my last set of Michelin tires. I rotated them once, front to rear, then just switched them from side to side once. You have to break down the tires to rotate them because we have front only and rear only wheels.

how/ where did you rotate the inside rears ?

Gone but not forgotten--2001 / 7.3L / 2wd / CC/ lwb / manual trans / dually / 160K
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama29fan View Post
how/ where did you rotate the inside rears ?
I rotated the inside rear to the front because they don't wear as fast as the outside tires.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Posting Guru

guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.
I was just reading my manual that came w the truck, mines not a dually but I noticed it said for duallys only rotate the front 2. If u have the manual that came w the truck check in there to make sure.
Bill - 02 -F250 Lariet 7.3 PSD- SB -X Cab 2WD - Billet Grill - Alum. Rear diff.- CCV and 6637 w/ Pete cover-Fumoto-Isspro 3 gauge pillar -Tru-cool max - SS HPX - Silverline 4" SS - Hutch & Harpoon-JWVB-EBPV delete-FRX- Rear air bags-32' 5er- Prodigy-ELC- 2006- E-350 - 5.4 Work Van
Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Senior User

Calli is starting off with a positive reputation.
As stated above, Quote from owners manual "If your vehicle is equipped with dual rear wheels, it is recommended that only the front wheels be rotated (side to side)."
Early 99 PSD F-350 dually,4X4,4:10 gears.air lifts, Rancho 9000s.Banks Stinger-Plus, 6637, Lance Camper (11 1/2 ft),- 02 Boss Hoss Motorcycle,2000 Harley-Davidson Road Glide, 1979 Yahama XS1100 Special Motorcycle,- Piper Cherokee 180,- 05 Mustang GT, '08 TaurusX, '93 Taurus SHO
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpicr View Post
I was just reading my manual that came w the truck, mines not a dually but I noticed it said for duallys only rotate the front 2. If u have the manual that came w the truck check in there to make sure.
You are right about the rotation of the tires on a dually. Thats why I started switching them side to side. Here is the owners manual. LINK
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
You are right about the rotation of the tires on a dually. Thats why I started switching them side to side. Here is the owners manual. LINK
cant open link...

so you just rotate the fronts side to side and then since they will wear much faster than the rear you just replace them? or would you then move one of the sets of rear to the front and put the new ones on the rear?

and if your just rotating fronts side to side why even bother unless you start seeing uneven wear on each tire?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

I just switch them from side to side. The tires will be turning the other direction when they are switched like that. I will only do this when I have the tires off for what ever reason. Most don't ever rotate a dually.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Posting Guru

Hmmm...

how many miles are you getting out of the fronts? compared to the rears?

i have 10 ply toyo's not sure which model tho...i think it's something like Open Country. I'll have to check at lunch

Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

I got 80,000 miles on my last set of Michelin tires front and rear. In fact, I gave my 4 rear tires to my employee at the time to put on the back of his truck. I only have highway miles on my tires, never go offroad. I also run 80 psi in the rear tires and 70 psi in the front tires at all times.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
Old 03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Posting Guru

dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have 6 alloy wheels, and yes there is a front vs rear wheel. 4 of my wheels are factory fronts. Having said that, here is my rotation.

I start with drivers side rear. All tires continue in same directions.
1) Outside driver to front passenger
2) Front passenger to inside passenger
3) Inside passenger to driver outside

4) Outside passenger to front driver
5) Front driver to inside driver
6) Inside driver to passenger outside

I do this at oil changes when all tires are the same.
Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter.Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline wix (33007 or 33972) filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump & two 12v 36" heaters. July of 2013-265/75/16 E range BW Michelin.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn29626 View Post
I have 6 alloy wheels, and yes there is a front vs rear wheel. 4 of my wheels are factory fronts. Having said that, here is my rotation.

I start with drivers side rear. All tires continue in same directions.
1) Outside driver to front passenger
2) Front passenger to inside passenger
3) Inside passenger to driver outside

4) Outside passenger to front driver
5) Front driver to inside driver
6) Inside driver to passenger outside

I do this at oil changes when all tires are the same.

My head is swimming trying to envision this Makes sense tho...how did you come up with this?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
06, cupping, dually, dualy, duelie, dullay, f350, ford, powerstroke, radial, rotate, rotating, rotation, tire, tires