1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

checking the clutch for wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
checking the clutch for wear

So had had an hour to spare today and I pulled the 3 speed in my 52. My reason is 2 fold, one to check the clutch wear and 2 to see if I could mate up one of these overdrive tranny's I have here work.

My question, I assume I have to remove the "belhousing ring" to check the clutch? am I missing something? Looks kinda tight to get in there...does anyone know how thick the clutch plate should be?? The truck has 70K on it and it looks like this clutcj has never been apart. but who knows??

My observation, the hogshead I have here will not fit my toploader trans the ring are is not the same, and the input shaft is way to long.

Future help, the amount of input shaft on the 3 speed that sticks out is 2 7/8" so the amount of input shat I need stick out of any trans belhousing combo I get will need to have that much sticking out.

I believe if I was using a car style bellhousing on my flatty non of this would be an issue..