Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

March Chat it up thread. What you doing in March?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 AM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mornin. im so tired. this time change is killing me.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Morning Chris....I hear ya man same here!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good afternoon!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good afternoon all. The sun has not been here for a few days and still will not be seen till Thursday.
The good news is it will be in the 60's Thursday thru Sunday and I tickets to Bristol for Saturday AND Sunday races. WoooooHoooooooo!!!!! Can't wait for this weekend.

Work is hard this week on me so sorry for not being here yesterday. Work is hard but play will be even harder this weekend!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Bristol tickets! Neal you suck , have fun.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Well, gonna order my all aluminum radiator, I need a Mark VIII fan, pull a part in Nash only has one, doubt the fan remains, may be another ebay item. Flex a lite is nice, but too expensive for me.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I think if it was me (in fact I KNOW it) I'd be looking for a brass radiator that would work - because I know how to flame solder, and down through the years I have fixed many a radiator with solder, flux, a torch, and black spray paint!

IF YOU CAN SOLDER PLUMBING CONNECTIONS you can fix a brass radiator.

And the job was done RIGHT...

One fine day a fella dropped by the house I was renting in Mira Mesa to say goodbye to people he knew around Miramar NAS because he was transferring out - and I was on lunch at the time. He said he was all set to go, but the drain valve on his radiator was leaking and busted - so he was moaning about having to shell out who knew how much for another radiator when he didn't really have time to screw around with it...

I said: "Shucks, Boy! Follow me!"

On the way out to the curb, I grabbed my propane torch and a few supplies.

I drained out the coolant into a basin, removed the plastic drain **** from it, unsoldered the brass part of it, and sanded all around the burnt paint area of the bottom of the side tank - then I fluxed it, soldered it back in, and when it cooled put fresh paint all over the radiator.

Then I put the drain **** valve back in (UN-melted!) and POURED THE ORIGINAL COOLANT RIGHT BACK IN.
Cost of repair? Less than five cents worth of lead solder, and less propane than it takes to heat a tent.

Whole dang thing took me twenty minutes, and I thought nothing about it. I later heard that before he left he told my wife:
"That man just saved me over a hundred bucks and didn't charge me JACK for it!!!"

So there is a lot to be said for brass radiators - Aluminum ones you just can't do something like that to.

I sure hope Mark sees this in time to look for a brass replacement - but it's probably too late. Anyway - you go look for an older style radiator that fits and works and it takes some time to find it. This is where fabrication and modification skills are good to have!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Don't make 'em out of anything other than aluminum and plastic, I'm happy this one has aluminum tanks, my plastic one popped a gasket, the whole reason I'm having to do it. Found that I can get a VW fan switch, have a thread welded in the radiator to screw the switch in, it'll turn on the fan, has a high and low setting too, great for a 2 speed fan, Mark VIII will work perfect.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Hey! You still up? I'll be danged....

What I found with the "Any Auto Parts" version was that you had a thermo-couple that came with it that you just slid into the top of the radiator between the fins and didn't have to drill, thread, or tap ANYTHING!

I used that set-up on the BLUE MULE and it worked out just fine. (PLUS it was adjustable)

I get the impression there are some parts suppliers that just want to make money off of ya...

If you go with that type of controller, just wire both fans to it. It's guaranteed to be more than enough.
Especially if you fabricate an efficient shroud for them out of aluminum or tin.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
It's a single fan, has 2 speeds and the switch is from a VW, the kits are costly, I'm going low tech KISS method, I don't need a bunch of electronics to engage one speed to another, just a 10 degree barrier. I heard a video of one of those fans on high, good lord it was loud, really moving some air, definite appendage remover.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Do what you want.

I'd have gone another road....

(No offence intended)

I think in terms of MASS AIR and customizable controls. High speed fans draw lots of current, there are a lot of ways to go about it.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning All.......

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Got your green on today?
I do.

Good morning guys.

Greywolf, I enjoyed the rad fix story.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by torkum
Bristol tickets! Neal you suck , have fun.
Thanks. Jealous???
I have Saturday and Sunday tickets. I just found out I can have Friday tickets for free if I want them. Wanna go Tim?
I could probably find more tickets if you are interested. They are not sold out yet.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:52 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top of the afternoon to everyone! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! No green beer, but some Jameson would be nice...

Quick Reply: March Chat it up thread. What you doing in March?