Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

March Chat it up thread. What you doing in March?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be with her when you can, and pay close attention to everything she has to say.

People tend to think of old folk as senile people, and that is wrong.

Old folk have seen a lot more than you or I have, so if she tells you something hold it real close to you!

You want to get right next to her and learn every blessed thing you can WHILE you can - trust me on that.

Especially about family, who they were, where they were from, and what your heritage is. She has a lot of knowlege about who YOU are. If you don't find that right now, the chance could slip away.

I will never know all of the details about who my own father and mother where. That's my own fault...

Don't be like me!

Forever wondering

Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nflfreak43
hey guys sorry for not responding bout the hospital part.

My Fiance Ann her grandmother had surgery today for a Clogged artery in her neck. bout 3 hour surgery and she only had bout 40% chance of making it through. but good news is she did. she is good shes in ICU for the night and doped up pretty good. but she should be going home late thursday or early Friday.
Chris, let Ann know me and Kim are praying for her grandmother's recovery.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positive thoughts and prayers for you nflfreak.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Be with her when you can, and pay close attention to everything she has to say.

People tend to think of old folk as senile people, and that is wrong.

Old folk have seen a lot more than you or I have, so if she tells you something hold it real close to you!

You want to get right next to her and learn every blessed thing you can WHILE you can - trust me on that.

Especially about family, who they were, where they were from, and what your heritage is. She has a lot of knowlege about who YOU are. If you don't find that right now, the chance could slip away.

I will never know all of the details about who my own father and mother where. That's my own fault...

Don't be like me!

Forever wondering

yep ive spent many hours with her grandmother just having long conversations with her. hell ive spent more time with her in the past 2 years than her own grandson. perty sad if you ask me.

Originally Posted by torkum
Chris, let Ann know me and Kim are praying for her grandmother's recovery.
Thank You, and tell Kim thank you.

Originally Posted by macgiobuin
Positive thoughts and prayers for you nflfreak.
thank you also.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Blessed are they who learn from the past - for they need not repeat it.

In the late twenties and early thirties - as well as the forties - people were a lot smarter about "THRIFTINESS"

They grew Victory Gardens, saved every single thing you could think of including tin foil, and gas rationing was in place in the war years, so you never went anywhere without planning the whole trip.

They did not DITCH fifty bucks a month for Satellite channels. They read books - as a result of which I think people were a lot smarter back then. They had a much wider body of knowlege that could be shared without paying for it TWICE. They tended to be focused much more on BASICS and the concept of "WANTS versus NEEDS" was common. People who blew all of their cash on "COOL CRAP" were the exception, rather than the rule (Unlike today).

Do you hear a tiny bell ringing? A warning note perhaps?

Think not about what you want right now, but about what you want tomorrow.

That is the single greatest thing people who have been in hard times in the past have carried to us. The idea that thrift is one of the higher virtues to have....

Old 03-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good morning Tennessee.

Greywolf, I think we need to nominate you our great chapter philosopher/Gardener extrordinaire.
Great words there, Thanks.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning All.......

Hey Neal, yup, Dutch is a wealth of knowledge......

and Chris our thoughts and prayers for your GF's grandma!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 AM
willy3486
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Blessed are they who learn from the past - for they need not repeat it.

In the late twenties and early thirties - as well as the forties - people were a lot smarter about "THRIFTINESS"

They grew Victory Gardens, saved every single thing you could think of including tin foil, and gas rationing was in place in the war years, so you never went anywhere without planning the whole trip.

They did not DITCH fifty bucks a month for Satellite channels. They read books - as a result of which I think people were a lot smarter back then. They had a much wider body of knowlege that could be shared without paying for it TWICE. They tended to be focused much more on BASICS and the concept of "WANTS versus NEEDS" was common. People who blew all of their cash on "COOL CRAP" were the exception, rather than the rule (Unlike today).

Do you hear a tiny bell ringing? A warning note perhaps?

Think not about what you want right now, but about what you want tomorrow.

That is the single greatest thing people who have been in hard times in the past have carried to us. The idea that thrift is one of the higher virtues to have....
One thing I have noticed about people who grew up at that time is they hardly ever throw anything away.I learned from their example. People wonder how I get by the way I do and are suprised at what I have compared to pay. I contracted and did most of the work on my house. Due to the framers error I got almost 1000 sq ft extra for free basically. I did all the wiring, plumbing, myself. All the inside work except the AC and flooring was done by me or family. I found a flooring place that was moving and got nice flooring for about 13 a sq yard. I also got deals and such. The total cost was 45k for a almost 4000 sq ft house. We built it in 97 and will have it paid off this year.

Then when we got moved in I wanted a workshop. I didn't want to go into debt so I tore down old buildings to get the lumber. I also got a chance to get some used computers. I fixed them for a $50 profit each to pay for what I needed. I have added to it by tearing down a house and used the lumber. I have a shop that the work area is concreted,heated,cooled,water ,and electric. Its 52x30 and I have about 2k in it.

My 66 I redid it a few years back. I did all the work and only have 2k in it. I also save anything I think will come in handy. My point in all of this is not to brag but to make a point. You can live far better and save more by not being wastefull. I have a shop full of tools and most are other peoples castoffs I fixed. My wifes brother has a high paying job and I hit the ditchline for stuff he throws away. I plan to raid it and get all the metal to sell. Some of it I will keep,he threw away a lawnmower almost like mine that I can use parts for. I have used some already. Then you have the other type like my sister. She is even more wastefull. But she has this whole "I'm poor, help me" thing going on. My parents has bought her cars,trailers,food,furniture. She has nothing to show for it. The only thing still there is the trailer and my mother has the deed since she paid for it.

If you can learn to do without and make use of what you have you will be even better. Yes I have a few bills but if the economy takes a dump even worse I am better prepaired for it than the ones who have lived so carefree.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Listening to the radio the other day. Raiford on the John boy and Billy show was talking about similiar things.
Like reusing the empty onion sacks, wadding them up in a ball and using them to scour pots and pans. Saving the bags from inside cereal boxes to knead dough on and something with pies and cakes. It apparently is better than wax paper you can buy.
Just a few I caught and wanted to share.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
My wife is always getting onto me about saving everything---my 'collections' have come in handy several times. Growing up not-so-rich has made me hate seeing waste. I rarely throw anything away if I think I might be able to use it later.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Tomorrow I should post a pic of a seedling pot that I make out of used two liter soda bottles. You cut them about four inches from the bottom, punch a hole so air get out of the bottom, they are crystal clear - so that you can see when the roots get to the sides.

You turn the top part upside down and stick it into the bottom.

They hold water in the bottom to keep the plants right AND YOU CAN SEE THAT WATER LEVEL.

But it's made out of what other people throw away!

I call them "TRASH PLANTERS", but they really work very well....

I have at least two pepper seedlings growing in those very same things.

BEST of all, is that they are the ideal size for window ledges - stand them right in the winda....

Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
Good morning Tennessee.

Greywolf, I think we need to nominate you our great chapter philosopher/Gardener extrordinaire.
Great words there, Thanks.
You do that - and I may have to run farther away than ever....

I have learned that fame is not a good thing.

*Paws the garden soil*

Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning All.....

TGIF!!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 AM
nflfreak43
Postmaster
woohoo friday!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

morning Chris!

How are you this fine day?

Quick Reply: March Chat it up thread. What you doing in March?