6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Any comments on John Woods Torqshift flush procedure?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,698 Posts
Any comments on John Woods Torqshift flush procedure?

I saw this on TDS forum. One of the forum members on TDS contacted John Woods and this is the procedure he gave to the forum member:

Drain transmission pan.

Remove pan and clean.

Clean magnet.

Replace transmission pan.

Fill with 12 quarts od Mercon SP even though you just drained about 8 quarts.

Remove external transmission filter canister and filter element.

Tap filter canister for external tap/drain hose attachment, replace canister WITHOUT filter, connect suitable drain hose and place other end of drain hose in catch container OR

Place large container under external transmission filter mount.

Start engine and idle intil trans warms up (about 10 minutes).

When trans-cooler thermostat opens, remaining old fluid in cooler and lines will flow to external filter mount and out. Extra Mercon SP in overfilled case will replace old fluid.

When fluid stops flowing from external oil filter mount or drain hose, stop engine.

Install new external filter element, replace filter canister OR

Remove drain hose from tapped canister, close tap, remove canister, install new filter, replace canister.

Add Mercon SP to proper level.

What do ya'll think (Techs and Mark K)?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting! So why am I skeptical? Hope the techs chime in soon! I am curious, however for the $133.00 the dealer charged me last time if they stay the same price it is not worth my effort if you know what I mean.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 69cj
Interesting! So why am I skeptical? Hope the techs chime in soon! I am curious, however for the $133.00 the dealer charged me last time if they stay the same price it is not worth my effort if you know what I mean.
I agree with you. My problem is that none of the dealerships close by have a heated flush machine.

Mark K. replied on TDS and commented that the thermostat will still interfere. I will post a link later.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
I agree with you. My problem is that none of the dealerships close by have a heated flush machine.

Mark K. replied on TDS and commented that the thermostat will still interfere. I will post a link later.
Thus the term "bypass filter"

Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 69cj
Thus the term "bypass filter"
It is even more of an issue than that, the thermostat restricts flow to 10% when under the 170*F. So for a period of time it is a "restricted bypass" filter.

Our coolant filters are bypass filters, but they flow all the time (unless they are plugged).

Old 03-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
The flow to the coolers is restricted to 10% of normal when the thermostat is closed. The nominal thermostat temperature is 165°F, so I recommend having the trans at least 170°F.

The external filter sees 10% of the flow in the cooler line. So if the thermostat is closed the filter is seeing 1% of the normal cooler line flow.

In my opinion this procedure will work well ONLY if the trans is above 170°F the entire time. If it goes below that temp it will just mix the old and new fluids in the pan.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark (Bismic) or Mark K....have a quick question...don't mean to hi-jack, but could you call me at (757) 348-9518 (Tom Wilson)

Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Randy777
Tuned
In a couple of my past trucks (both chevy's) I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the torque converter, tapped it and put a plug in it. I was able to get 90% of the oil out by draining the torque converter and pan both. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this so I assume their must be a problem with doing this on the 6 liter Ford. So why can't this be done?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Randy777
In a couple of my past trucks (both chevy's) I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the torque converter, tapped it and put a plug in it. I was able to get 90% of the oil out by draining the torque converter and pan both. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this so I assume their must be a problem with doing this on the 6 liter Ford. So why can't this be done?
You can, but make sure you don't hit anything important when drilling, and also make sure that the plug that you install does not interfere with the lockup clutch when you install it. In other words, you might destroy your converter by drilling it.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Sark
Senior User
Question

Originally Posted by bismic
.....When trans-cooler thermostat opens, remaining old fluid in cooler and lines will flow to external filter mount and out. Extra Mercon SP in overfilled case will replace old fluid.

When fluid stops flowing from external oil filter mount or drain hose, stop engine.....
Am I missing something here? Once the thermostat opens why would the fluid stop flowing? I wouldn't think it would stop flowing until all the oil is gone not just the extra oil that was added.

Is it assumed that in park & at idle that gravity is draining only the cooler & lines & there is no pressure in the system to push out all the other oil?

Old 03-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Sark
Am I missing something here? Once the thermostat opens why would the fluid stop flowing? I wouldn't think it would stop flowing until all the oil is gone not just the extra oil that was added.
Fluid will stop flowing once the pan is empty, not when it gets down to the right level.

Originally Posted by Sark
Is it assumed that in park & at idle that gravity is draining only the cooler & lines & there is no pressure in the system to push out all the other oil?
There is pressure in park at idle speed.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Sark
Senior User
Question

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Fluid will stop flowing once the pan is empty, not when it gets down to the right level.

So your saying put 12 qts of new oil in & not the 8 qts & all 12 qts of new oil is going to run out & be wasted?

I think I'm still missing something in the procedure.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The new fluid will push the old fluid out. Not all the new fluid will run out, it will be almost all old fluid. But that assumes that the trans is over 170°F and stays over 170°F the entire time.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Sark
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The new fluid will push the old fluid out. Not all the new fluid will run out, it will be almost all old fluid. But that assumes that the trans is over 170°F and stays over 170°F the entire time.
What your saying then is the cooler & lines are holding 8qts. & the pan would be empty? Then I under stand.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been watching my trans temp with my Insight for the last 2000 miles. I know it is cold up here but I have not seen 170 degrees while driving. Trusting Mark(both of them), I wonder how one could keep the trans at 170 degrees the whole time the flush process is underway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any comments on John Woods Torqshift flush procedure?