Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd suspension lift

Old 03-01-2010, 07:42 PM
ag_dorion
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2wd suspension lift

whats the quickest, easiest way to get about a 4-6 inch lift? i dont have the tools for a complex job nor do i have the money. my truck is a daily driver and i do use it off road, however it is nothing hard core or even medium core. im looking for a complete kit that will give me everything i need, any ideas?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Autofab 4" bent beams 87-96 F150

Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you want everything for nothing, eh? Sounds like a typical American.

Anywho, if you can't afford a lift kit, don't have the means to install one anyways, and use it as a daily driver, why do you want to do this?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
because it looks good

dont start with rude comments to america

hillbilly those are 600

u can go threw roughcountry.com and a 2wd 4" lift with Front coil springs, radius arm drop brackets, I-beam drop brackets, power steering pitman arm, 4 RC Hydro 8000 series shocks, u-bolts, and rear blocks and add dual steering stabilizer and extended front and rear brake lines for $635

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Hitokori
because it looks good

dont start with rude comments to america
You're right, it probably would look good. Didn't know they made bent arms for the 2wd's but it does make sense, I suppose. Seems pretty economical.

As for the comments about America, I have every right to say whatever I want about America, be it good or bad. America is going down the toilet with the constant poor decisions made by the government and it's sheeple.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
ag_dorion
Freshman User
first of all im Canadian and im not looking for everything for nothing. im looking for the most cost effective alternative. i do have the money for a lift kit but obviously i dont need or want an over the top one. i was just expressing my situation. i do have enough tools to get the job done. i just cant have my truck apart for a long time. and i want to do this because well it looks good and it will help me out for some of the off roading i do whether it be on the trail or some urban off roading in my town.

i was looking at roughcountry.. are there lift kits good? i dont really know that much about them. all i ever hear is skyjacker

Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ag_dorion
first of all im Canadian and im not looking for everything for nothing. im looking for the most cost effective alternative. i do have the money for a lift kit but obviously i dont need or want an over the top one. i was just expressing my situation. i do have enough tools to get the job done. i just cant have my truck apart for a long time. and i want to do this because well it looks good and it will help me out for some of the off roading i do whether it be on the trail or some urban off roading in my town.
Sounds good to me!

You should try some curb jumping. I do it all the time on my supermoto Word is that sidewalks are the new scenic routes.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
i was looking at roughcountry.. are there lift kits good? i dont really know that much about them. all i ever hear is skyjacker
Most drop bracket kits are junk. And there is no reason to put a drop bracket kit on a 2wd.....because the bent beams are so close in price. Bent beam kits are a little more expensive....but are worth it. First off, they are much easier to install. They do not require removal of the factory brackets.......which are RIVETED to the frame. They do not include a drop pitman arm because they are NOT required.

So, get a bent beam kit for the front. You can use the factory block from a 4x4 Ranger for the back. They are much heavier duty than the ones that come with a "lift kit". And then get some QUALITY brake lines and shocks.

But, if you insist on getting a drop bracket kit, SKYJACKER is the way to go. There is a reason why ROUGH COUNTRY is the cheapest lift on the market.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe81
Most drop bracket kits are junk. And there is no reason to put a drop bracket kit on a 2wd.....because the bent beams are so close in price. Bent beam kits are a little more expensive....but are worth it. First off, they are much easier to install. They do not require removal of the factory brackets.......which are RIVETED to the frame. They do not include a drop pitman arm because they are NOT required.

So, get a bent beam kit for the front. You can use the factory block from a 4x4 Ranger for the back. They are much heavier duty than the ones that come with a "lift kit". And then get some QUALITY brake lines and shocks.

But, if you insist on getting a drop bracket kit, SKYJACKER is the way to go. There is a reason why ROUGH COUNTRY is the cheapest lift on the market.
This sounds like the best suggestion thus far to me

Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Ha, thanks Zxwut!! I have a 4x4 Ranger in my shop right now. It has a 4 inch Superlift drop bracket kit. I'm having to replace the drivers side radius arm drop bracket because it's buckled and twisted. Also repairing the passenger side axle pivot bracket because it's cracked!! This is a classic example of cost cutting. The Superlift bracket, like the Rough Country, is made of welded plate steel. The Skyjacker piece is SOLID CAST IRON.....just like the original FORD piece. There is a reason why some kits are cheaper than others. I have a whole list of reasons why the Superlift Ranger kit is so horrible.....but I don't wanna get too off topic.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
When I did my Bronco, I used the 4" Rancho lift with the extended radius arms. It was pretty solid and I had no problems. It was pretty expensive though. I don't like aftermarket blocks so I had a couple leaves added to mine to lift the rear.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I wouldn't lift it. I have done the 2wd lift before and its back to stock now except for shocks and 31 10.50 tires. It road, handled, and performed very badly like that. Nothing improved by doing it except for ground clearance. I'll never lift another daily driver again. I would save the money for something else. The only way I would lift another truck is if it were 4wd and was a secondary vehicle, and I was using a good kit not one of the cheapo ones. Then it would be fun.

Your best option is probably a set of front leveling coils which will lift the front about 2 inches that way you don't have to worry about major alignment problems. Then just run 31 10.50 15 or 32 11.50 15 tires on stock or 15x8 wheels.

That Bronco looks fantastic! I bet that Rancho lift is nice. How does it ride?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
ag_dorion
Freshman User
ok thanks guys for all the help.... i was just thinking what if i used blocks to bring my rear up like 3 inches we'll say. what would i do to get the front up and level?

... and TexasGuy001 what did you do for that exhaust in your vid? it sounds great!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
ok thanks guys for all the help.... i was just thinking what if i used blocks to bring my rear up like 3 inches we'll say. what would i do to get the front up and level?

... and TexasGuy001 what did you do for that exhaust in your vid? it sounds great!

If you lift the front more than about 2 inches you will need axle pivot and radius arm drop brackets. So you will need a lift kit if you want to do that. By the way generally a 4 inch lift is 4 front and 2 rear.

Here is a picture of my exhaust. It is 3 inch pipe from the front cat back to a larger case Magnaflow and 2.5 inch tail pipes with 3.5x18 tips straight out the back.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001
That Bronco looks fantastic! I bet that Rancho lift is nice. How does it ride?
Thank you. It doesn't ride worth a crap on the pavement, especially with the swaybars gone but off the pavement, it rides like a dream. It sucks up most anything I can throw at it without issue. It wasn't a primary vehicle so pavement wasn't a concern to me when I was putting it together.

Search this Thread