Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Senior User

wrdabney is starting off with a positive reputation.
Warn locking hubs install problem

I know I'm a dummy and there are multiple threads on these hubs but i am having a different problem. I have an '01 f250 and i have installed the warn locking hubs. the 4wd has stopped working twice due to the inboard part of the hub popping off and the spring coming out of the main hub assembly. The installation instructions are for a few different types of vehicles. the instructions say to discard the original auto locking hub, the inboard snap ring, and the washers. Then it says to install a new washer, snap ring, then the main locking hub assembly, then the large locking ring, then an outboard snap ring. But, my hubs only came with one new snap ring and no washers. So am I supposed to throw away the snap ring and 3 washers originally on the truck? Where does the new snap ring go? On my truck there doesn't appear to be a place that would hold an outboard snap ring (that goes on after the main hub assembly and the large locking ring). Has anybody installed these hubs and can help me out? Also, the instructions talk a lot about spacing and bearing adjustment nut (?) but I don't understand how the spacing could be any different even if i discarded the original washers and snap ring and then put a new snap ring right back in the same place.
Here is a link to the instructions. They are a little fuzzy but you can get the general idea.
http://warn.iwebcat.com/imgVD/WAR/11715F1-pn11690.pdf
Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Senior User

Anybody got a clue? Sorry for bumping this I just really need to get this put back together tonight. Could anybody just give me the order that everything goes
on starting from scratch. For example, 3 washers, snap ring, hub body assembly, large lock ring, outer locking hub part (the chrome part you see). That is the order I had it in before but there is no play in the hub body assembly and the instructions say there should be.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
DO NOT touch any of the snap-rings that are in there. The snap-ring they give you should not be installed. It's for trucks that have a snap-ring on the end of the axle, which we do not need.

The procedure is pretty simple. Remove the old hub. Leave everything else intact.

Install the new hub inner, put in the supplied snap-ring that holds the locking hub in, and bolt on the outer.

I don't understand what could be falling apart. The small locking ring is held in with a screw that should be left where it is.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Senior User

Thanks krewat. That's how I put them in the first time. What is coming out is the most inboard part of the Hub body assembly, in other words the other side of the body assembly from where the one screw is. If you are looking at the warn hub not on the truck there is another lock ring (it looks like the one that holds the body assembly in place on the truck but smaller and doesn't do a complete circle). This is what is coming out. That lock ring comes out then the little plate that the lock ring holds in place then the spring behind it. I guess i'm putting them in right so something else must be tearing them up.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Contact Warn - something sounds wrong. They are very quick to help with warranty and installation issues. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Ok when I did a search this thread came up. I am having exactly the same problem. the back side of the hub is popping out. did it first with Warn standards, thought I had just abused them so bought a set of warn premium hubs, instantly pops apart first time you use it (it worked with the standard hubs for 3yrs before this problem started) tried swapping hubs side for side and instantly the left side popped again (same side both times) took the 1 standard hub that had not done this put it on and instantly popped apart again.

So does anyone have any idea why? or even how?

Oh and you can put the hub back together, but as soon as you put it in the left side it pops apart instantly. Nothing visibly wrong with the hub and never had this problem before but basically for the past 2yrs I have had a 2wd truck.

Oh and one thing to to add. this started at about 130,000 miles (current is 152k) Ball joints where replaced at 90,000, and sealed bearings replaced just before that.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Too bad I don't want to take my hubs out to see what's going on

Do you have any pictures you can post?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Camera batteries were dead so used phone so pic not greatest quality but here you go

One on left is properly assembled as it goes into the truck, one on right is what it looked like when removed after pulling out of driveway, going around the block and locking into 4x4 to pull back into teh driveway.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that snap ring should hold everything in place. If it's not, the edge of the snap ring is rounded off, or the edge of the groove in the hub is rounded off.

Have you asked Warn about it?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Junior User

rayrayyj is starting off with a positive reputation.
So you're able to put it back together AND it goes back into the other side of the truck and does fine right?

If that is the case was everything put back together properly on the drivers side axle when the ball joints were replaced? Is the plastic washer on there, or the three washers plus the snap ring? I'm not sure if one of these missing could cause it, but I'd have a look to make sure all parts are there.

If both sides are identical as far as parts, I would be thinking the hub assembly is messed up or maybe the stub shaft, these are the only two parts that seem directly connected to the locking hubs - they fit into the hub assembly and go on the shaft...hence one of these could be the issue.

I'm no expert though, just trying to think about what directly touches the locking hubs.

I would contact Warn first so see what they have to see about the hub body coming apart.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

yes I can put it on the right side and it works fine. I even borrowed a friends hub and it did the same thing, put it back together and back in his truck and has had zero issues with it.

As to whether everythign was put together correctly when the BJ were replaced, yes and the fact that it went 40,000 miles before it started doing this would indicate to me that is not the issue.

I was hoping someone had this issue before. I did have someone locally tell me his truck did the same thing so he just swapped out for a D60 KP axle and put those hubs in it instead with no issues (other then the obvious things like no abs and wheel bolt patterns)

Guess I am just going to have to tear it all apart and see if I can find anything. sure can't see anything obviously wrong from the outside.

I do belive that the plastice washers were gone before the unit bearings were replaced though, but not sure if that could affect it, but like stated earlier it worked for 40k miles (and 3yrs) including drag racing. First time it did it was in snow trying to get into the driveway

Edit to add: the warn premium hubs have NEVER worked, right out of the box they did it first time so I don't believe worn or rounded snap ring is the issue. It almost has to be in my truck, but can't believe I am the only one.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Junior User

rayrayyj is starting off with a positive reputation.
But riding around or drag racing in 2WD might not have put any pressure on the hubs or the front axle in general hence it lasted so long.

Turning hard in 4WD in the snow to get in the driveway might have just been enough to shift things on that side, pushed the axle out further than it should be, knuckle seal not in the right place.

I would have a look at the knuckle seal, right where the stub goes into the hub, you can see it from the back side of the tire, just to see how for it is seated into the hub assembly. Or you can pop the diff cover and see how far the axles are in each side of the tube, see if there is a difference.

Just some thoughts...
Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
New User

DieselDan73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this is an old thread, but my truck did the same thing today. First time it really snowed here this winter. Locked the hubs and I off I went, but with no 4wd. Jacked it up and the passanger side hub was not locked. Took it apart and the clip had fallen out and the pieces came out. Put it all back together, thought it was just a fluke. Soon as I drove it, it did it again. Did a search and this thread came up and I just wondered if anyone figured it out. I was going to call Warn tomorrow, but I cannot for the life of me find my reciept. My hubs are about 4 years old and never gave me a problem until now. Thanks. Dan
Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

mine turned out to be a locked up axle ujoint. replaced that and the hubs work fine now.

It wasn't loose like typically seen when a u-joint goes out which is why I didn't find ti until I tore the thing apart. the cap was seized to the cross.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM
New User

gcostermeier is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same thing is happening to me on my Excursion...happens on the passenger side, and the inner snapring pops out of place allowing the components to,separate. It will work for a while, and then lets go with a 'bang' . I swapped hubs and will be trying it again to see if the problem follows the hub, or stays with the passenger side.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM