1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

C-6 or AOD

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
CA Viking
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C-6 or AOD

Good afternoon,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I’ve been spending hours these past couple of weeks researching this site via the “search” engine and just when I think I have an answer I find another thread that only confuses me more… thus my question.
<o></o>
I have a 1949 F-1 with the original 41 Dana rear end with 3.92 gears. I have a 302 that I bought along with a C-6 tranny. I plan on rebuilding the 302 with very slight upgrades in power. I plan on using the truck to cruise on weekends around town and maybe hop on the highway once in a great while. I will not towing, hauling etc. I was leaning on using the C-6 with a 9” I had picked up at a very good price (free). Unfortunately, the 9” is 65” wide thus it is not a good fit. After reviewing this site I see no reason why I can’t use the 41 Dana? Additionally, I began to lean towards not using the C-6 but looking for an AOD instead. To make a long story longer… I recently discussed this with a co-worker of my wife who has built hot rods etc in the past. He thought the AOD was junk and the C-6 would work fine with the Dana. Any thoughts, comments, advice etc would be greatly appreciated. I am far from having this project complete but I would like to have a plan in place. Bottom line, I’m concerned the 302 and C-6 would not be a good fit with the Dana where as the AOD would?
<o></o>
Brian

Old 03-01-2010, 04:34 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
I can not comment on the Ford AOD. I will say that the Dana 41 in my 49 ran many years including towing with a 56 Buick nailhead running thru it without any issues. A mild 302 would not challenge the Dana any more than the Buick. I also towed quite a bit with it without issue (including flat towing a Model A across the country). With a 3.92 rear ratio, I think that you will be much happier with an overdrive. Personnally I am setting up my 49 with a 383 stroker motor with a 700R4 which is a GM overdrive. Somone should come along and provide input on an AOD.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
woodyf1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the aod is a good trans choice if you are adding big hp then some mods are needed the advantage that the aod has over the c6 is weight the aod is lighter and has a lower reciprocating mass therefore less hp robbing if your intention is hiway cruising buy the aod but please remember there are 2 typs aod and aode aode has elctronically operated overdrive post 88 aod pre 88 i think if anyone has any more accurate or current info i would be interested to learn how to set up the cv cable before start up if this is not set correctly thats it for your trany .......just my 2 cents woody

Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
CA Viking
5th Wheeling
C-6 or AOD

thanks guys,

I had read to look for an AOD between 1988 and 1992 and to stay away from AODE.

As far as use, I see myself driving the truck around town on city streets and want some speed on the green light but on the rare occasion I take her on the hwy I don't want to be doing 50 mph at 4000 rpms... the C-6 seems masive and a robber of HP in my application.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6: Cheap, strong, reliable, takes the most HP to operate of the "big 3" 3 speed automatics.

AOD: Troublesome in early models. Requires beef up for high HP use. Not cheap in beefed form.

Lots of parts and support are available for both.

I would go with the AOD with that ratio. With a C6, C4, FMX or any 1:1 trans, you will turn 2854 + TC slip at 65 mph with 30 inch tires. With 28s, it goes to 3058. Not terrible if you are talking short trips, but run 10, 20 or 100 miles like that and you'll be looking for another gear.

AOD info. Note the most important thing is to get an AOD from an '88-'93 V8 or truck. NOT an early model.

Now this outfit suggest going with an AODE or 4R70W if you are starting from scratch. The logic, as they explain it, is the later trans plus controller is a cheaper way to go than rebuilding the AOD. You probably don't need to beef the AOD like a drag racer, so I'd shop for both and decide when you can see prices etc.

AODE and 4R70W Performance Products - Baumann Electronic Controls

Other outfits that have info, spec and sell the parts in their beefed transmissions:

AOD Transmission from PATC, AOD Transmissions

TCI - Ford AOD, AODE and 4R70W

www.CKPerformance.com

Note the AOD beef up includes, amongst other things, some AODE and 4R70W parts, to over-simplify the example.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by woodyf1
the aod is a good trans choice if you are adding big hp then some mods are needed the advantage that the aod has over the c6 is weight the aod is lighter and has a lower reciprocating mass therefore less hp robbing if your intention is hiway cruising buy the aod but please remember there are 2 typs aod and aode aode has elctronically operated overdrive post 88 aod pre 88 i think if anyone has any more accurate or current info i would be interested to learn how to set up the cv cable before start up if this is not set correctly thats it for your trany .......just my 2 cents woody

It's a TV cable, the Throttle Valve.

Instructions here:

TCI® - Instruction Sheet Database

drop down the right side search for "Ford TV Cable Instructions"

Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am sure there are several opinions here and most all of them will be valid. That being said I have a AOD in a 70's Mustang with a mild 302 and a 3:89 rear gear. The car performs well in both in town or on the highway. The AOD comes with a lock up converter which the C-6 does not. A non lock up converter can be purchased from most suppliers like jegs or summit but if your not using the truck on the track you will gain more MPG with the lock up converter, and turn less RPM's on the highway.

Next. I have a olds motored 1955 ford f-100 with a 200-4r GM trans attached to a 10 bolt 3:73 rear gear, which is very similar to your
set- up. My truck performs fantastic, in my opinion. I just returned from Billetproof Florida 2010 and was able to cruise the turnpike at 80 mph + without any issues. dont forget the final ratio of the AOD in overdrive is .67 so that will turn your 32 to a 2:62 ratio. I would not even consider using a non overdrive trans for your combo.

Now I have a question for you are you sure you have a C6 ? the reason I ask is they are not easy to come by and alot of people confuse them with the FMX which is a whole other can of soup.

Rick

Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
With a C6 (and it's 1:1 3rd gear ratio) you will need 33 inch back tires and a 9" gear ratio of 2.80 to cruise at 65 comfortably - 2350 rpm.

That is the set up I currently have (except its a 9 3/8 rear).

The C6 is very large and heavy (installation and suspension considerations) - but it's bullet proof.

You will have slightly less reliability but substantially more driving options with the AOD.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
If you're going to run the original rear end, which should hold up fine by the way as long as it's currently in good shape, I'd go with the AOD. The C6 would be better if you were changing the rear end to a taller gear ratio and/or using a higher displacement/torque engine.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by CA Viking
...He thought the AOD was junk ...
Must be a Chevy guy. lol

Brian, reading through the posts, I think you're on the right track. The C6, while very strong, is a horsepower robber, and takes a lot from a 302. Especially a stock one. You'll lose about a third of your HP by the time it gets to the rear wheels. The AOD is a much better choice if staying with the Dana rear, and is plenty reliable, since it's had 30 years of development on it.

If you're looking for a 9" to swap, find one from an F-100 up to '72. They will be the same width as your original, with the spring perches even in the correct place. It's a near bolt in operation.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
I recently bought a donor vehicle that has a 302 and a AOD. I mainly got it for the engine, trans, and rear axle. I wanted the AOD so I could drive where ever I wanted comfortably and it be cost efficient. I have contemplated on using the stock rear axle (dana 44) thats on the truck now but figured I should just put the newer one on it out of the donor because its newer, easy to find parts for it, and its stronger than the original dana.

Side note: I have read that the later stock AOD's can handle quite a bit of horse power in stock form (up to 400).

Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Now this outfit suggest going with an AODE or 4R70W if you are starting from scratch. The logic, as they explain it, is the later trans plus controller is a cheaper way to go than rebuilding the AOD. You probably don't need to beef the AOD like a drag racer, so I'd shop for both and decide when you can see prices etc.

AODE and 4R70W Performance Products - Baumann Electronic Controls
There is an advantage in using an over-drive automatic. You'll also have control of the lock-up torque converter. It's nice to have low RPM for high speed cruising!

I am doing something similar but I'm using an adapter so I can use my rebuilt 292.....It's all going in my 55 F-600

Below is an E4OD and will be operated by a Baumann Controller.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM
CA Viking
5th Wheeling
Thanks to all of you for your input. I will plan for the AOD then. And, LMAO regarding the Chevy guy comment

Brian

Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry but I just don’t know this? .......When and where was the C6 used with a 302?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
gusso
Elder User
Hi Brian

I have a `57 T-Bird 312 cid in a `56 F-100. I recently rebuilt the engine
and put a `91 Lincoln AOD behind it. I have a 9in rear with 3:05 gears.
First I`m past the burn out stage in my life (with the `56,) Truth be told
I am burned out. Anyway, It has performed fantastically for me.
At 70 mph on freeway with the 3:05 rear the engine turns Approx
1850 - 1900 rpm. Also I have plenty of poop at the stoplights, so I am
very happy with the AOD.
Hope this is helpful.
Brian, I`m in the Sacramento area so if you need any more info PM me.
Be happy to help.

Gary

Last edited by gusso; 03-02-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add info

Quick Reply: C-6 or AOD