Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Freshman User
1985 Ford F-250

Dislexiq is starting off with a positive reputation.
bypass fuel tank selector valve?

Is is possible to bypass or remove the ftsv? I will only be using my front tank, and not my rear tank at all. Someday way off in the future I may add a larger second tank in the rear, but until then, I really have no use for it. Suggestions?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

Hamberger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Tank Selector Valve

No problem.

Just connect the feed and return to/from the engine to the feed and return to/from the Front tank. Two short fuel hoses and a few hose clamps should do the trick, only problem is you will have to cut all the connectors so putting the selector valve back later would be a pain to do. Maybe cut the lines a few inches away from the switch so you can splice them back together later.

There is very little pressure/vacuum on the return/feed lines (fuel pump is located at the engine). Keep your switch set to the front tank so your dash fuel gauge keeps working with the signal from the front tank.

Is your selector switch leaking? If not why not just leave everything and keep it set to the front tank?

Good luck,

Sebastian.
91 F-350, 7.3l non-turbo, E40D, 4:10, B20, B40

93 F-250,7.3l factory turbo, 5ZFOD, 3:55, B40
Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Freshman User
1985 Ford F-250

Dislexiq is starting off with a positive reputation.
ok, sounds easy enough. No, it's not leaking, I just have never had it switched to the rear tank and was trying to prevent any possible issues by doing so. Once I get everything situated, I will be the only one driving my truck, so just leaving things as they are and leaving the ftsv set to the front tank may be the smartest way to go. Thanks for the input
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

Hamberger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't switch it

I will be the only one driving my truck, so just leaving things as they are and leaving the ftsv set to the front tank may be the smartest way to go. Thanks for the input[/quote]

If you have not used the rear tank in a long time you could open up a mess of trouble if you did use the switch. It may get stuck when you try to switch it and then you got a real problem not being able to get it back.

Leaving things alone might be the best thing here.

I always switch my tanks frequently to prevent the switch from fouling/sticking. Done that on both my trucks for almost 20 years, never had a problem.

Seb...
91 F-350, 7.3l non-turbo, E40D, 4:10, B20, B40

93 F-250,7.3l factory turbo, 5ZFOD, 3:55, B40
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
bypass, f150, ford, front, ftsv, fuel, gas, pump, selecter, selector, switch, tank, truck, valve, working