Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

old vs new

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:38 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
old vs new

There has been some discussion here on using an old truck in the years to come. So I thought we might see what the most common problems with our idi's are and how the years will affect them.

return lines A couple kits and 10 bucks worth ov viton orings would last me longer that I will be able to drive.

alternators These can easily be upgraded to newer styles or big truck
styles so I don't see a problem here in my lifetime.

Wireing can all be reconditioned even the gp harness. one time every 20 years.

FSV valves Possibility will be extinct eventually, but can very easily
converted to manual, so will not be considered a deterent.

Glow plugs Possibility will become extinct also, but I don't see this
being a problem for years to come because these motors
were used in too many applications amd there will be a
demand for them for many years. if they ever become extinct
there are aternative ways to crank them, so once again , no
deterent for me.

batteries Will always be available.

Cables will always be available.

Injectors will be available for many years and be able to be rebuilt for
the rest of my life,

Ip Will always be available rebuilt.

Drive train parts will probably always be available too and many will last
years with maintenance anyway.

More Im sure but this is the most common A 6.9 can be bored 20 thousandths at least with decent maintenance this will be good for well over a million miles After the initial miles, as long as engine parts are available.

Twenty years it is entirely possible I will still be running an IDI especially in my older rigs, that doesn't have plastic to deteriate. UNLESS the govt outlaws them or diesel.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:39 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
This is just my opinion and that doesn't make it right. lol

Old 02-28-2010, 04:00 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
I don't see are trucks ever going away, but I do think the time will come when the newer ones are old and ours are so old they are worth too much/to hard to get parts for to work daily. I am not worried about motor parts, I think we will run out of the cheap junk yard and Craigs list axles, trannys T-cases etc. First.

At that point the 7.3 PSD parts will be cheaper than IDI parts and the drive line parts will be easier to find than ours. Thats just my take on it.

I expect to be driving for the next 60+ years and running out of parts is something to think about.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 PM
fast70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by starmilt
There has been some discussion here on using an old truck in the years to come. So I thought we might see what the most common problems with our idi's are and how the years will affect them.

return lines A couple kits and 10 bucks worth ov viton orings would last me longer that I will be able to drive.

alternators These can easily be upgraded to newer styles or big truck
styles so I don't see a problem here in my lifetime.

Wireing can all be reconditioned even the gp harness. one time every 20 years.

FSV valves Possibility will be extinct eventually, but can very easily
converted to manual, so will not be considered a deterent.

Glow plugs Possibility will become extinct also, but I don't see this
being a problem for years to come because these motors
were used in too many applications amd there will be a
demand for them for many years. if they ever become extinct
there are aternative ways to crank them, so once again , no
deterent for me.

batteries Will always be available.

Cables will always be available.

Injectors will be available for many years and be able to be rebuilt for
the rest of my life,

Ip Will always be available rebuilt.

Drive train parts will probably always be available too and many will last
years with maintenance anyway.

More Im sure but this is the most common A 6.9 can be bored 20 thousandths at least with decent maintenance this will be good for well over a million miles After the initial miles, as long as engine parts are available.

Twenty years it is entirely possible I will still be running an IDI especially in my older rigs, that doesn't have plastic to deteriate. UNLESS the govt outlaws them or diesel.
i dont see us ever running out of parts there are trucks that are a whole lot older then are idi trucks that you can still get parts for im only 30 but i can see haveing my idi for the rest of my life and star if your like me you keep spare parts that you come across

Old 02-28-2010, 05:16 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Bill I don't see the D60 parts going away as there is to big of a following.
Under normal use (Dave S excluded) I'm thinking A d60 with proper maintenance will be good for a million miles, with a couple ujoint changes and ball joint or kingpins. I have a D44 under my IDI in the war wagon that has Between the gas and diesel engine has way over 400,000 miles with the spiders changed twice. and much of it's life was not easy.
The 205 case in it will always have parts available but has never been touched,it needs the mounts adressed now though.

I really feel that if you rebuilt and upgraded an 87 with the toughest all ford parts available today, and don't use it for a semi that in 20 years it will be easier and cheaper to maintain than a 2020 that would be 10 years old.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
drewdole
Senior User
whats a fsv valve

Old 02-28-2010, 06:09 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Fuel selector valve.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:15 PM
drewdole
Senior User
to switch tanks??

Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Yes it is an electric component and is subject to corrosion and resistance, that over the years will kill it.

I feel like wire resistance and corrosion will be the main culprits that make a 2010 not worth trying to run at all by 2030., but I may be all wet behind the ears.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by starmilt
Bill I don't see the D60 parts going away as there is to big of a following.
Under normal use (Dave S excluded) I'm thinking A d60 with proper maintenance will be good for a million miles, with a couple ujoint changes and ball joint or kingpins. I have a D44 under my IDI in the war wagon that has Between the gas and diesel engine has way over 400,000 miles with the spiders changed twice. and much of it's life was not easy.
The 205 case in it will always have parts available but has never been touched,it needs the mounts adressed now though.

I really feel that if you rebuilt and upgraded an 87 with the toughest all ford parts available today, and don't use it for a semi that in 20 years it will be easier and cheaper to maintain than a 2020 that would be 10 years old.
Good point, I guess these trucks will be around and pissing off the eco-nuts for a long time to come.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
galute
Senior User
My bud and I popped the hood on a brand new F150 and took one look at those electronics and just stood there with our mouths open. No way will that crap ever hold up. No way will us shade tree guys be able to keep them running. Hafta take it to a dealer every time it need something. No way can I afford one nor would I ever be caught in one. The year was 1987 and it was the first EFI I had ever seen. Most of us guys have been saying these same things for 20 to 30 years now. Look at it like this... in 20 years.... The 2010's will be simple.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amen Bill!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by galute
My bud and I popped the hood on a brand new F150 and took one look at those electronics and just stood there with our mouths open. No way will that crap ever hold up. No way will us shade tree guys be able to keep them running. Hafta take it to a dealer every time it need something. No way can I afford one nor would I ever be caught in one. The year was 1987 and it was the first EFI I had ever seen. Most of us guys have been saying these same things for 20 to 30 years now. Look at it like this... in 20 years.... The 2010's will be simple.
The 89 F150 300 Inline 6 I just bought not long ago is the first ever EFI I ever owned. I've been hanging around the other F-series (1987-1996 F-series) forum to learn abit more on these EFI's. New to me, even though the truck is over 20 years old. lol

Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Thats what I'm talking about and they only have to build or make parts for ten years.
Am I crazy to think that there will be lots of more or less sensitive parts that will become unavailable after ten years. On my 86 the only sorta sensitive parts that it has to have is the glow plug controller and the fsv, either can be changed to manual or even done without as far as that goes.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 PM
galute
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
The 89 F150 300 Inline 6 I just bought not long ago is the first ever EFI I ever owned. I've been hanging around the other F-series (1987-1996 F-series) forum to learn abit more on these EFI's. New to me, even though the truck is over 20 years old. lol
It took me another 10 years after that to acually buy one. My first was a 90 F150 that I bought used in 97. LOL

Quick Reply: old vs new