Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 Ford F-250

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM
browncraig11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Ford F-250

Just recently got rid of my 2000 ford f-150 and got a 2002 f-250. Everything has been going good on it until today and I noticed that it has started skipping and puffing out light blue smoke. I was just wanting to know if anyone had any ideas of what might be going on and what to expect when I have someone look at it.

Thanks Craig

Old 03-06-2010, 05:58 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A little more information if you would. Does it do this just at start up, or all the time? Let me back up and ask, is it a 7.3 PSD? I assume it is. Has any modifications been done to the truck? How many miles are on it? Oil and antifreeze both look good? How about when was the last oil change? Fuel filter? Any oil residue at the tail pipe? The more information you can give us, the easier it will be in figuring out what the problem is.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
browncraig11
New User
Sorry, for not giving more info. It's a 2002 F-250 7.3l PSD with 192,500 miles on it. There are no mods that I can see. Just checked the oil this morning and it was full and had a slight black tint to it. Probaly needs changing by my standards. I have put about 500 miles on the truck since I got it. I drove the truck about 90 miles today and everything was fine. We stoped and talked to some friends and let the truck sit for about 2 hours and when I got in and started it I noticed a little blue smoke, nothing major though. I came home and let the truck run for about 2 min and left again to pick my son up. On the way home I noticed that when you let off the throttle you could see a little blue smoke and when you pressed the throttle no smoke, but I could feel the skip in it.

One thing I have found on this site is that when some trucks get around 1/4 tank of fuel they were having similar issues as I am having. Is there some sort of problem with the fuel tank.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:09 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
You might be sucking air into the fuel line. That would make it run funny, and smoke a little. Smoke when letting off the throttle puzzles me. My first thought is the turbo may be going out. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge than me will chime in on this one. Injector o-rings leaking can cause blue smoke as well.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 PM
browncraig11
New User
I just got back from putting fuel in the truck and started it snd it still had the skip in it. After driving about a mile the skip went away and it ran perfect the rest of the way home about 5 miles.

Would anyone know if there are any fuel tank mods to help this problem. I know this might not make sense but it did work.

Thanks Craig

Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 PM
bluescrew
Elder User
bad diesel? water in diesel? what do you guys think

Old 03-06-2010, 07:56 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
I don't have blue smoke coming out of the exhaust but at 1/4 tank my truck misses like a motha@#$%%^.I have a new sending unit sitting i just have to install it.My friend did like 6 or 7 trucks with the same problem as mine and he said that the pick-up was crack which sucks in air at 1/4 tank,makes sense.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:15 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
There are in-tank mods that can be done. I forget who offers a kit, but I know it's a kit that changes the whole fuel intake at the tank. It also eliminates the fuel line connections at the tank that allow air in the lines. I haven't done it, but I know it's out there. I'll do a search for a thread about it.

Here's a thread about the in tank mods I was talking about. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...questions.html

Here's another thread. Post 4 lists a website that sells the kit.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...fuel-mods.html

There is talk about using an in tank pump, but a lot of the guys are not using one with great results.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 AM
allen03
Junior User
Just a thought, i had a worker that when he went to the west coast he always got fuel at the same station because it was the cheapest. Turns out that he thought all green handles were DIESEL. If the truck had less than a half of a tank it would run like S*&%. Looking at the records he was putting supreme GAS in our truck. for a very long time he had done this and finally it would not run. had mechanic on the west coast pull full tank to find gas and water. If you just bought the truck pull the tank clean it and do the tank mod. You never how dumb, drunk or unclear, the previous owner or some one that may have borrowed the truck, may have been. Just a thought.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 AM
browncraig11
New User
Right now I have a little over a half tank of fuel. I am going to run it until it reaches 1/4 tank and see if it happpens again, if so I will be doing the tank mod.Thank's for all the help! With this being my firsts diesel I'm sure I will be on here some more with some questions.

Thanks Craig

Old 03-07-2010, 02:43 PM
240spoke
Senior User
I did mine a few months back...If you do the mixing chamber delete but be sure and put a inline filter in the line before the pump.... I found that taking the bed off was very very easy and sure beat crawling under the truck if you dont have a lift.....I should mention that I used my frontend loader on my tractor to do it....About a 2hr job by myself..... Be sure and clean the heck out of the top of the tank before you remove the pickup tube assembly....The worst part was removing the bed liner..