1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max Trailer Weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RentAMan
The chart says about the same as what I stated earlier.
But...you dont need the extra equipment to be able to tow
the full 12.5k trailer weight, it just makes the trip safer.

Class III & IV hitches are 2" reciever.
Class V hitches are 2.5" receiver.

Even paperwork sometimes gives wrong information.
Hell, I am wrong on occasion (according to my wife).
Nope...you've still got it wrong.....without a weight distributing hitch your limited to 6K.....anything over that by the rating you need a weight distributing hitch....Check with ford....check with your state dot....check with whoever you want.....a F-350 dually still needs a weight distributing hitch to tow 7000 lbs by the ratings

Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 PM
RentAMan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Okay...
What do you refer to, when you say weight distributing hitch?
Let me make sure that I understand what you are saying.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Stalwart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-07-2010, 07:13 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Wow, I tow over 8000 pounds with my F-250 without a weight distribution hitch.

Am I going to get thrown in jail?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by FlameNSky
Yeah, I have the OEM TBC.

Thank you for all the comments. I have no current plans to pull more than I do now but wanted to know my limits. I have seen my share of vehicle/trailer mishaps over the years and don't want to be "that guy".

Good thoughts. I am in the process of buying a new 5th wheel. Gross is 14K. When I was talking to them at the RV place they were clueless about GVWR/GAWR King pin wt..those kinds of things, other than what the brochure said.

Factory TBC- Here is how I adjust mine. flat straight road then try to stop truck and trailer using the slide on the TBC only. Adjust the gain to that the trailer will stop truck and trailer without locking up the brakes.

Then road test and adjust gain as necessary...you gotta start somewhere so that is how I do it.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redford

I was thinking the same thing. The weight distribution has an affect on tongue weight, it does not have an affect on pulling weight. Best, CB

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

nah. but you might die in the case of some emergency action because there is too much weight on the hitch, reducing the front tire contact patch friction coefficient, thus reducing the ability to steer. and this weight on the hitch effect is worse at the one time you want it most, stopping..

I towed a 29ft travel trailer behind a GM safari van without a wd hitch for about 100 miles and I was scared sh.tless the whole time. dumba.s.. With my family in the van too.. can't believe the trailer dealer let me out of the lot.

Sam

Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Originally Posted by sdetweil
nah. but you might die in the case of some emergency action because there is too much weight on the hitch, which might reduce the front tire friction coefficient, thus reducing the ability to steer. and this weight on the hitch effect is worse at the one time you want it most, stopping..

I towed a 29ft travel trailer behind a GM safari van without a wd hitch for about 100 miles and I was scared sh.tless the whole time. dumba.s.. With my family in the van too.. can't believe the trailer dealer let me out of the lot.

Sam
This is true when talking about trailers that you can't adjust the tongue weight. I can load my dump trailer accordingly. Best, CB

Old 03-07-2010, 08:04 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
nah. but you might die in the case of some emergency action because there is too much weight on the hitch, reducing the front tire contact patch friction coefficient, thus reducing the ability to steer. and this weight on the hitch effect is worse at the one time you want it most, stopping..

Sam
I have done emergency maneuvers with the trailer loaded. No problems there (other than needing a change of underwear ) but I am very careful on how I load the trailer and balance everything, to the point of being **** about it. When I purchased the trailer, the dealer showed me a trick on loading a car into it. Once you hitch the trailer up and position it to drive a car in, lower your tongue jack until it is around 1-1.5 inches from the ground. As you load the car, have someone watch the jack. Pull forward until the jack touches the ground and you'll be balanced.

Still, I have kicked around the idea of a WD hitch with sway control. I do get a little sway when those damn tour buses blast by me at 80+ MPH. Nothing unsafe, but if I neglect to see them coming in the mirror I feel them about the time they pull even with the rear corner of the trailer. It's a rude wake up call.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:04 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Charlie Bravo
This is true when talking about trailers that you can't adjust the tongue weight. I can load my dump trailer accordingly. Best, CB
yes, there are individual cases where knowledgeable drivers can effectively manage outside the quidelines.. these are 'general' guidelines for the masses who are not that skilled.

but I suspect there is a tricky space, where altho you MAY appear qualified, in the case of an accident, some lawyer will crawl up your a.. looking for anything to hang the responsibility on YOU.. and your insurance company will be right there hoping to find ways THEY don't have to pay either.. (we've already seen the lengths the vehicle manufactures will go to deflect responsibility to the driver/owner). so, be careful..

Sam

Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

yes, there are individual cases where knowledgeable drivers can effectively manage outside the quidelines.. these are 'general' guidelines for the masses who are not that skilled.

but I suspect there is a tricky space, where altho you MAY appear qualified, in the case of an accident, some lawyer will crawl up your a.. looking for anything to hang the responsibility on YOU.. and your insurance company will be right there hoping to find ways THEY don't have to pay either.. (we've already seen the lengths the vehicle manufactures will go to deflect responsibility to the driver/owner). so, be careful..

Sam
Lawyers, I forgot about them. Best, CB

Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I have done emergency maneuvers with the trailer loaded. No problems there (other than needing a change of underwear ) but I am very careful on how I load the trailer and balance everything, to the point of being **** about it.

Still, I have kicked around the idea of a WD hitch with sway control. I do get a little sway when those damn tour buses blast by me at 80+ MPH. Nothing unsafe, but if I neglect to see them coming in the mirror I feel them about the time they pull even with the rear corner of the trailer. It's a rude wake up call.
WD doesn't help side to side sway.

been there... I had a trailer breakaway cause of too much tongue weight, pushed me across 4 lanes of hiway into the curb, snapping a trailer axle.. so when we decided to tow the travel trailer 5000 miles, I bought a suburban AND I over compensated.. with TWO friction anti sway devices.. best piece of mind ever. you need the wd hitch head for the sway device connection point. I use the anti sway device even when the trailer is empty and I don't have the wd hooked up. (needless to say, I'm scared sh.tless of sway) last summer we did 3000 miles behind the suburban (7000lbs at 7000lbs max, wd hitch and dual anti-sway) and I was uncomfortable the whole way, with 3 drivers.. to the point my daughter won't drive/tow with me again.. the reason I bought the SD was to get me more control when I tow the car hauler long distances..(and I want to GN 2 cars sometime in the future), the SD is SO much more stable.

anyhow.. a 10,000lb wd hitch is $200 (got mine from ebay (like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EAZ-L...item2558b3d82f) last year for enclosed car hauler, came with right side antisway).. and the anti sway are like $30. (left side version at HF is $29).. (this one for the same price uses the trunion bars, and has built in dual friction, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Reese...item27af34c0c1)

off topic a little, but important (IMHO)

last summer took my show car (see avatar and garage) to a car show 50 miles away, and then back home.. 1 mile to go there was this strange sound, turning the corner, up a short 100ft hill.. stopped to check it out.. that weird sounding.. someone had pulled the hitch pin retainer, and the pin had come out. The WD hitch head draw bar was ONE INCH from coming out of the hitch socket. Held in ONLY by the safety chain.. I couldn't get the hitch weight off the wd spring arm so decide (luckily I had incorrectly connected the safety chain OUTSIDE the wd bars) to limp home at 5mph. On the last turn BAM.. the safety chain ripped off the trailer and the
drawbar was at a 45 degree angle in the hitch socket. luckily it got me enough room to get the foot down, the hitch undone (boom fell on the ground), back in and LOCKED in, and the trailer reconnected..

ALWAYS lock the hitch pin..

Sam

Old 03-07-2010, 10:22 AM
RentAMan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

stalwart...
Thank you for that informative link!
I just dont have the time to look up this stuff to post.

Thats what I thought was being referred to.
To all of you that insist on telling me that a WD kit will allow you to pull
more trailer weight...........go back to school......at least read that link.
Be more informed.

AGAIN AS I SAID EARLIER in my replies:
a WD kit will help you get there safer, but has nothing to do with your
trailer or truck weight capabilities. No increased weight ability. Your
vehicle will pull what it is rated at and thats it, with or w/o the WD kit.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by RentAMan
stalwart...
Thank you for that informative link!
I just dont have the time to look up this stuff to post.

Thats what I thought was being referred to.
To all of you that insist on telling me that a WD kit will allow you to pull
more trailer weight...........go back to school......at least read that link.
Be more informed.

AGAIN AS I SAID EARLIER in my replies:
a WD kit will help you get there safer, but has nothing to do with your
trailer or truck weight capabilities. No increased weight ability. Your
vehicle will pull what it is rated at and thats it, with or w/o the WD kit.
we didn't say 'ability', we reported what Ford published as the Tow ratings, which should be interpreted as the SAFELY tow ratings.

Sam

Quick Reply: Max Trailer Weight