mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Double post glitch.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
PSD97
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might be amazed by what Ford sells for example in Argentina and Brazil. Ranger single and crew cabs with a 3.0 liter Power Stroke. F250s (and F350) with a 3.9 liter "MaxPower" 203hp/400lbsf. I think it's a Cummins 4BT.
Why not in the US? (ask big oil=government or maybe EPA, no?)

Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
PSD97
Freshman User
..got posted twice

Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD97
You might be amazed by what Ford sells for example in Argentina and Brazil. Ranger single and crew cabs with a 3.0 liter Power Stroke. F250s (and F350) with a 3.9 liter "MaxPower" 203hp/400lbsf. I think it's a Cummins 4BT.
Why not in the US? (ask big oil=government or maybe EPA, no?)
Heard about those. If I remember right, single cab is called the F100, 4 door is called the F200. Rated at 25 MPG, and I think it is a cummins 4BT as you say.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
efigalaxie
New User
Big Oil doesn't give a dang. You buy a diesel...they will sell you diesel. Look more at big brother. Don't get me on a political rant. I will offend any liberal...wait this is a Diesel forum..there are no liberals here. Much of the time when you see business acting strangely, look back to government influence. I do not buy into the conspiricy theories about 'big oil' supressing inventions that let us get 5 billion miles per **** emission. If something like that is developed, it WILL out. Even if the inventor is bought off, human nature will get that invention out there. You know, people act as if it is a big deal that cars can get almost 40mpg in some cases. Cars were getting 40mpg in some cases back in the 80s. Nissan Sentras, Geo Metros, Renault Encores were all know to push and surpass 40mpg in some cases. What has to be considered is the weight. Compare the weight of a Renault Encore to a Ford Focus. Safety, Emissions, and Cushiniess have a weight penalty. Strip a Yaris or Aveo down to Metro safety and emmissions standards and see what those little boogers would get economy wise. Same goes with the trucks. I have not looked, but I will bet that todays F250 diesel weighs more than an 87. Have highway deaths dropped in proportion?? I bet if it were not mandated, market forces would not have compelled all the safety stuff in vehicles today. I ride motorcycles too. I am waiting for the govt to mandate training wheels for our safety.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by efigalaxie
I will offend any liberal...wait this is a Diesel forum..there are no liberals here.
Priceless.

I also agree that big oil doesn't deserve all the blame. The 6.4 has poor MPGs partly from Hp wars and the other part is from the EPA and those damn emission controls that were forced into service before they were ready.

I watched a superduty go into regen just before driving by our house today and it fogged a 3 way stop intersection half a block down from our house. Mostly raw fuel and just a little bit of smoke from the marginal burning going on in the tailpipe. Another time a brand new top of the line SD in front of me on the highway pulled away from a stop light and fogged me in a white haze of unburned fuel.

The only time anything was ever than wrank was when I had to walk outside the buildings briefly in the LA international airport. Ironic because california claims to be a world leader in emission regulation and "clean air" policies. There is something in the skies of LA, but it wasn't clean air. Felt like brushing my teath after that.

And for all of that, the DPF actually KILLS fuel economy.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:24 PM
efigalaxie
New User
David85...ok - I will bite what is 'DPF' other than my initials??? I HAVE been known to kill fuel economy at times, but I may be getting a bit uppity to take all the credit!!!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by efigalaxie
David85...ok - I will bite what is 'DPF' other than my initials??? I HAVE been known to kill fuel economy at times, but I may be getting a bit uppity to take all the credit!!!
LOL sorry, DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter

It visible soot like a filter on the tailpipe. When it fills up, the engine starts injecting fuel right on the exhaust stroke so raw fuel goes into the tailpipe. The idea is to get the exhaust temperature so high that the carbon buildup in the tailpipe gets burned out. In theory heavy towing or otherwise working the engine will keep EGTs high enough to reduce regeneration cycles. However if you drive empty or light most of the time, regen is needed much more often so there goes your light throttle fuel economy that diesels are usually known for.

What they are planning for the new diesel is to run the engine at higher EGTs across the board to reduce reliance on the DPF. That however raises Nitrous Oxide emissions. The cure? **** water injection in the tailpipe, it reacts with the Nox to make it inert somehow.

You can't make this crap up, guys.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
PSD97
Freshman User
Looks i DID get him on a rant .
I guess this is an IDI forum, so DPFs don't usually enter the discussion.

So, the Ranger crew cab with the 3.0 PSD is and has not been sold in the US because it's unsafe? I don't really think you were saying that, but what is your take on that?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
efigalaxie
New User
In europe, diesels are much more common than they are here. The reasons are infrastructure and emissions. EVERY 'gas station here has gasoline, but not all have diesel. Also, it is harder to get diesels to meet our clean air standards. Have you noticed any 2 stroke engines powering motorcycles lately??? You can thank the EPA for that!! Look....there is a difference between pollution and fantasy. I think the EPA is not in Kansas anymore.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
PSD97
Freshman User
Well, above I was guessing EPA's emissions regulations was responsible, but ONLY after 2006, I think it was.
Not sure what europe has to do with this, I was talking about south american Ford Rangers and Super Dutys.
Diesel availability has never been a problem for me, but i understand it can be in some areas like Beverly Hills, CA.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
Ford isn't the only truck getting bigger. Look at the Toyotas. They used to be tiny compared to the new pickups but they have grown just about as big as the rest of the pickups. Myself, I don't need the super duper 1,000 hp truck. I like the Diesel and plan to stick with it. The only choice is getting the tiny 1980's model imports or getting the newer mega HP pickups. Go to the Ford dealerships and ask about a smaller Diesel pickup and their eyes glass over. Years ago pickups were for working stiffs and much cheaper. Now they have become a status symbol and some never get the bed scratched less yet worked like they were designed to. Pink truck? ........................................
Where I work we sometimes go overseas and Diesels are much more avialiable there. You can't buy a small Diesel truck powered by small Diesels in the states but you can buy the small engines that are pulled from the foreign pickups. Japan has much stricter emissions standards and after the trucks get so many miles they either R&R the engine or scrap the truck. You can buy the engines they pull because they sell them in the states and only have 50,000 to 75,000 miles.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:48 PM
PSD97
Freshman User
Wonder what would happen if one tried to import a new diesel Ranger or a 4BT F250 from Brazil. I don't know for sure, but the Customs would probably throw you in jail and crush your truck. Never mind your freedoms.
Diesel Toyota pick-ups are some kind of a standard of excellence around the globe outside the US, but i don't know much about them, either.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Fuel type has nothing to do with safety, but its possible the ranger in Argentina might not meet all safety regulations for other reasons. In australia for example, compact pickups are often sold brand now with NO REAR BUMPER at all. That alone would make the vehicles illegal in north america. Bumpers on australian cars tend to be closer to the vehicle and that also would not pass up here. That IMO doesn't really make them unsafe, it just means they don't meet standards and yes, there is a difference between meeting standards and being safe lol.

The japanese diesels are very popular down there, but I could tell they already smoke much more than something like a 6.4L and would not pass emissions up here.

Now when it comes to emission standarts, it really depends on what the regulator is most frightened of - Global warming, or particulate pollution (visible smoke).

In Europe carbon dioxide is what they are afraid of because they can make tax revenue from regulating it - and something about the thames flooding downtown london. This means that higher particulate emissions are tollerated in europe because having those rules a little softer allows for better fuel economy. The ONLY way to reduce CO2 emissions for mobile applications is to burn less fuel. There is no way around that unless you want to send some credits to the church of Al Gore to repent for your eco-sins.

Particulates on the other hand can be forced down very close to zero, but often at the expense of higher fuel consumption and by default, higher CO2 production - otherwise known as plant food..
In california, Its all about particulate emissions, although the EPA is also getting scared of CO2 emissions lately because of revenue problems.

In both europe and california, you find some of the most polluted parts of the westeren developed world in spite of extensive "action" to protect the envoronment. Maybe more regulation isn't the answer? Now thats just crazy talk.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 AM
PSD97
Freshman User
Yeah, I know fuel type is not related to safety, but galaxie was talking about weight, old truck vs new truck, and somehow that makes a diesel Ranger unsafe.

Anyhow, I can see that you're in BC. I know that if a vehicle is 15 years old or older, you can import it without much hassle and drive, even a diesel truck from Japan. With the steering wheel on the wrong side and everything. And i guess that is completely safe, right?

However, If the vehicle is less than 15 years old, forget about importing it, unless it was originally made for the US market, and you'll still need a federal inspection. Which means that to buy a newer vehicle, you have to go and see your friendly Ford dealer and buy a monster diesel truck, or buy an equivalent used truck. This is only to protect the car dealers' and auto industry's interest at your expense.

I don't have the facts for US.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where has FORD gone? new 2011 diesel vs our old school IDI's