Oil & Lubrication  

Mercon V or Mercon/Dextron Trans. fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:05 AM
jeff44ranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Mercon V the same as Mercon/Dextron ; vise versa for transmission fluid in 1998 Ford Ranger? Or are they not interchangeable?

Old 01-21-2003, 11:52 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

From what I understand, they are NOT INTERCHANGABLE. The best way to figure out what you have is to check your dipstick - it should say "USE MERCON" or "USE MERCONV". That's the best way to go about it. Don't listen to the guys who'll tell you "Use MERCON V, all Fords after 98 were MERCON V. Although that's mostly true - 98-03 Ford truck trannies are all Mercon V, there were a few that are still Mercon, like mine - 1999 Expedition, uses Mercon. Apparently, Mercon will mess up a MerconV tranny, and Mercon trannies don't like MerconV.

XXL

Old 01-21-2003, 03:32 PM
LK
Elder User

This is what it says in my owner's manual in big bold letters:

"MERCON and MERCON V type fluids are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON and MERCON V. Use of a transmission fluid that indicates dual usage (MERCON and MERCON V) in an automatic transmission application requiring MERCON may cause transmission damage. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission damage."

It then goes on to say that you *can* use a dual-usage fluid in an auto tranny which requires Mercon V - just not in one that requires Mercon.

Like Matt mentioned, just use whatever fluid is written on the dipstick.

As far as newer vehicles, the 4r100 still requires Mercon and the 4r70w requires Mercon V - so most F150s need Mercon V and most Superduties require Mercon. There are a few exceptions, like my '02 F150 7700 which has the 4r100 and uses Mercon.

LK

Old 01-21-2003, 04:52 PM
jeff44ranger
New User

Thanks for the reply Guys, My x dealer used Mercon/dextron11 plus an additive to replace the mercon V CALLED FOR which is as you mentioned on the dipstick " use mercon V only " in nice clear letters and in my owners manual " use Mercon v " in nice clear letters . His explantion is Mercon/ Dextron11 plus this additive is the same as Mercon V. I am having a hard time digesting the fact that he just did not use what the Ford Manual Recommends and seems to know of this magical mixture that makes up Dextron V, , that so far I have found no mention anywhere of this. Could someone help clarify if " MERCON/DEXTRON11 PLUS Magic ADDITIVE " equals Mercon V and is safe for the transmission? Thanks.

Common sense tells me they should have used Mercon V.

1998 FORD RANGER 3.0 6 CYLINDER E40D AUTOMATIC TRANS. 94000 Miles

Old 01-21-2003, 06:28 PM
TOUGHLover
Elder User

Could someone help clarify if " MERCON/DEXTRON11 PLUS Magic ADDITIVE " equals Mercon V and is safe for the transmission? Thanks.

Common sense tells me they should have used Mercon V.

1998 FORD RANGER 3.0 6 CYLINDER E40D AUTOMATIC TRANS. 94000 Miles [/B][/QUOTE]

I think your "common-sense" is serving you well! - Do you have a receipt stating that ANYTHING OTHER than what your owner's manual calls for was used? - If so, make a copy of the reciept, secure the original, call the shop, and POLITELY REQUEST your vehicle be PROPERLY (per OEM specs) serviced. You may choose to go to the shop rather than call - but I would not drive this vehicle any farther than absolutely necessary. If they balk - tell them you'll have it towed to another shop, and that you'll see them in small-claims court, and there will be a tow bill in addition to the charges for the correction of their error. I have a similar story I'll share later - but I would (and DID) have this done A.S.A.P.! In fact, what I did was have the shop that made the error (and they are human, and therefore prone to make mistakes) pay for a "flush" from another shop - I really think that is what you need now as you have two (2) contra-indicated fluids swimming (mixing) around together in your trans - and this is a "no-no" "per Ford".

In this day of $2,000 transmissions - this is unacceptable!

"Break a leg" - Glenn ...

Last edited by TOUGHLover; 01-21-2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:06 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Glenn (TOUGHLover) is absolutely right - I wouldn't settle for anything BUT MerconV. No if's and's or but's. Not when a nice shiny new transmission will run you $3000. It's not something you should mess with.

I'd go to the dealer and tell them that you want MerconV. Plain and simple. This "Mercon + special sauce" deal is potentially hazardous to your wallet - any potential problems won't manifest themselves until a few years from now. By then, it'll be way too late. I'd be polite, but firm.

XXL

Old 01-22-2003, 09:42 AM
jeff44ranger
New User

AN Update;

Ford okays and recommends the use of Mercon/Dextron11 plus additive in a higher mileage vehicle in place of Mercon V. I guess they re-wrote the book, answer from Ford. " they are safe to interchange and recommend doing this " .

Old 01-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anybody have any experience with synthetic ATF????

Old 01-22-2003, 11:17 AM
TOUGHLover
Elder User

Originally posted by jeff44ranger
AN Update;

Ford okays and recommends the use of Mercon/Dextron11 plus additive in a higher mileage vehicle in place of Mercon V. I guess they re-wrote the book, answer from Ford. " they are safe to interchange and recommend doing this " .
Jeff - just curious, where did you get this info? And i wonder what they consider ""higher mileage vehicle"?

Thanks, Glenn . . .

Old 01-22-2003, 11:49 AM
jeff44ranger
New User

Glad you asked: as my owners manual states: step 3. call Ford direct if matters not able to be resolved through dealer. I did!!and recieved reply : " different vehicles with higher mileage and environmental conditions may require something different than the manual states "; " parts and specifications are always being updated, technicians are advised and allowed to use " and and as they state in answer to your question " we approve of this other transmission fluid (mercon/dextron11 plus additive) and believe it to be proper for the vehicle ". Part two of your question , my vehicle has 94000 miles on the transmission.

In summary, The owners manual OEM specs are correct unless sometimes with some vehicles with some mileage subject to some environmental condition will require something different.

This is where I end my debate.

Old 01-22-2003, 11:56 AM
TOUGHLover
Elder User

Thanks Jeff - that's good stuff to know-

Take care, Glenn ...

Old 02-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not an oil and lube expert, but I thought I would share my own thoughts and experience regarding this subject. About 3-4 months ago I had my tranny (5R55E) flushed at the local Valvoline lube shop. They replaced the old fluid with their "Durablend ATF" which is advertised as meeting Dextron III, Mercon, AND Mercon V specs. I drove around for a while and while yes there was some improvement, I noticed that the shifting was a bit harsher than I had hoped and my expectations were not exactly realized in terms of a smoother operating box. While I have always trusted Valvoline products, I decided that I was going to try another brand of fluid and to go strictly with a Mercon V-only rated product, which is what Ford recommends. Along with this I also decided to drop the pan myself and change the tranny filter and gasket (which is something that the Valvoline shop does NOT do as part of their tranny service). Then I flushed the system again and filled it with Castrol Mercon V. I must say, the improvement is more than just noticeable. The tranny shifts much smoother and shift points are much better. I am so glad I made the switch. I also have peace of mind knowing that there is clean and correct fluid flowing through a nice new filter in my transmission.

This is no knock on any particular company or fluid. But the bottom line is that the "hybrid" ATF fluid just did not work out for me. Moral of the story, I guess, is that I will be sticking with precisely what Ford recommends for my tranny - Mercon V.

Old 02-05-2003, 01:49 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts

Absolutely. I too have the 5R55E 5-speed Automatic. It has 72,000 miles on it now. I bought it in October at 68,000 miles. I've always noticed that it slipped between 4 and OD.

So I took my truck to Ford last week, and they did a "powerflush" on my tranny and replaced the fluid.

They DID use MERCON V fluid. And they did NOT replace the filter...they told me it is not necessary because the powerflush cleans it all out anyway.

My tranny shifts MUCH better now. It was very noticeable. If you service the transmission properly you will be very happy. Don't let anyone convince you to settle for something that might be equivalent. Make them use what the book calls for!