2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2007 Expedition FIRE - Please help!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM
ribeiro203
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2007 Expedition FIRE - Please help!

2007 FORD EXPEDITION FIRE
My name is Orlando and I want to start by saying that I have always been a Ford guy. I love the company and the trucks, but as for now I have to admit I am extremely disappointed. I have a 2007 Ford Expedition EL VIN# 1FMFK19557LA33248 that just caught on fire on February 18, 2010 around 3am.

I leased a 4000 sq. ft. garage 3 weeks ago where I'm working to open my own dealership. The Expedition caught on fire all by itself while parked inside the garage. It started on the engine and worked its way back. The car was consumed by flames by the time the firefighters arrived but they were able to put it down in a timely manner.

I just googled "expedition fire" and I found a lot of people that experienced the same problem. Some lost not just the car, but their house and even lives due to this problem. Ford made a Fuel Rail Assembly recall for Expeditions manufactured between 08/14/06 and 12/22/06. Looks like my vehicle fell under Ford's radar since it was manufactured on November 2006 and there's no recall information by the VIN on Ford.

I wander how did all this happen. I was in completely shocked about the fire news and I could not believe once I got to the garage. That did not looked like new at all for the Police Crime Scene Investigator who arrived just minutes after the firefighters were done putting down the fire. After less than 5 minutes inside the garage looking at what was left of the car mentioned right off the bet that these Expeditions have a common problem with the cruise control switch. Ford designed the switch to be powered -- or "hot" -- at all times, even when the vehicle is off and the key is removed from the ignition and so fires can break out under certain conditions.

I do not know yet what caused or where the fire started since investigations are still under way. I can do say that I was lucky enough that the entire place did not burned down to the ground and I was able to save most of the trucks, parts and tools I had inside the garage.

I already reported the incident to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and contacted Ford Motor Company Customer Care. I had the car for sale on ebay, and even tough it has a Salvage title, Ford is still responsible to perform any recall on the vehicles the company manufactures.

I dropped off the Expedition at the local Tropical Ford dealer in Orlando, FL on the first week of February for them to reprogram the car. At that time I checked with the service department if there was any open recall for the car and they said no. I also searched the Ford website by the VIN and there's no recall info there for my VIN.

DAMAGES
The Expedition is a total loss. I had a 2008 F350 crewcab black dually and a 2008 F450 crewcab white dually parked next to the Expedition and these trucks also got some damage.

On the F350, most of the damage are in on the plastic components on the driver side, like the mirror, both door handles, keyless entry pad, bed cover, fender and fender lights.

The F450 had no grille, headlights, bumper, fender or hood. So a lot of the plastic components on the front driver side started to melt with the heat, from the horn to the fender liner.

There is an extensive damage to the ceiling and its insulation that needs to be entirely replaced and one of the garage doors don't even open anymore. Not to mention the inconvenience of the garage being shut down for an indefinite amount of time for investigation, the power is off, everything else inside is smelly and filthy.

I also lost about $1,500 in parts that I bought from a local Ford dealer and stored them inside the car, including a new king ranch chrome grille that cost alone over $500 and another DVD player I bought brand new for the Expedition because the one that was installed was not working properly.

I spent a lot of time and money cleaning and painting the garage, and also organizing everything so I could soon have my new business up and running. I used to be a contractor in CT but was driven away from the industry due to the bad economy. So I moved to FL to turn my part time, fun hobby into a full time job - buy salvage Ford trucks and fix them up for resale. All I buy and sell, for years, has been Ford. So this has been a very painful experience, especially now that I have 3 kids, no job, no income, no garage to work on for a while, and thousands of dollars in damage to cope with.

Does anyone have a similar experience or have an idea where to go from now? I'm in need of some guidance and suggestions from Ford users and I appreciate your feedback and time you take to read this post.

All I want is to find a way of getting Ford to acknowledge and take responsibility for the default vehicle, not only mine, but the tens of thousands they have driving on the streets putting at risk many homes and lives. That is pretty scary taking into consideration that there's many people that lost everything due to this fire and I was lucky enough not to loose everything I had.

If you have any info to share or suggestions, feel free to reply to this post or email at ribeiro203@yahoo.com. Thank you.

LINKS
Ebay auction listing - pictures and description of the car done a week prior to fire:
Ford : Expedition : eBay Motors (item 170444822281 end time Feb-17-10 20:47:43 PST)

Pictures of the Expedition before the damage:
2007 Ford Expedition EL - a set on Flickr

Pictures of the garage, trucks and damage prior and after the incident:
Expedition Fire and Damages - a set on Flickr

Recall documentation list from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
NHTSA ODI - Recalls Documents

Last edited by ribeiro203; 02-22-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: looked funny
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully you have good insurance. I have not heard of this before.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I would doubt he could have insured it with a salvage title.
I was not aware the Expy had the cruise control switch problem. My 01 F250 had a switch that did start leaking. I replaced it just before the recall was issued.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Wow, sorry to hear of your loss. Surely Ford didn't have the same cruise control switch on your '07 as it had on the earlier recalled models. If there was a fuel rail problem I don't see how that could have caused a fire in the middle of the night with a cold engine (assuming you hadn't been driving at 3:00 a.m.).

Good luck with the damages.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Yeah, the salvage title is going make things messy.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 PM
gddyup
Senior User
Originally Posted by function12
I would doubt he could have insured it with a salvage title.
I was not aware the Expy had the cruise control switch problem. My 01 F250 had a switch that did start leaking. I replaced it just before the recall was issued.
It may depend on what state you are in, but you can insure a vehicle if it has a salvage-repaired title. If the vehicle has been written off as totaled but has been repaired and signed off on by the DMV as being reconditioned and safe for the road, it will become a repaired title. A repaired title is still technically a salvage title, it's just been deemed roadworthy and can be insured.

I had a 1990 Mustang 5.0 coupe that I registered and insured in Mass many years ago that was a salvage/repaired title. Never had an issue with insurance or anything like that. It is possible but I'll bet it does depend on the state you live in as to how they handle that.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
ribeiro203
New User
Ford Zone Rep or Legal Dept Number???

Does anyone have the contact number for a Southeast Ford Zone Rep or for the Ford Motor Company Legal Department? I contacted Ford Motor Company Customer Service asked me to wait 15 days to receive an answer in writing about my complaint done over the phone.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
kennisonxgs
Senior User
I can understand you trying to resolve the issue ASAP, but legal issues should be handled in writing. I highly suggest waiting for a written response.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I would wager that once Ford knows it is a salvage title they will say so sad to bad. I am no leagal expert but I play one in bed.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by function12
I would wager that once Ford knows it is a salvage title they will say so sad to bad. I am no leagal expert but I play one in bed.
And I couldn't blame Ford. How can a company be liable for a product that has been destroyed and rebuilt? They can't. Your probably on your own.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Quote,you say, turn my part time, fun hobby into a full time job -"BUY SALVAGE"Ford trucks and fix them up for resale. You have no idea of the HISTORY of this truck,try running a CARFAX on the vin # and see if it turn's up an issue,this 2007 ford truck would already have the fused link to the speed control installed at the factory that the older one's lacked and had installed in that recall as in MY 2002 F350 PSD did, I went to the dealer,got the fused link and put it in myself,it was plug and play EASY, the fuel leak was an issue in the frame rail area,not up front in the engine area and would need HEAT to set it off,QUOTE,<TABLE id=table256 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=50 width="16%">Consequence</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=50 width="84%">FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=table255 border=1 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#000000 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#000000>RECALL: 2007 Ford Expedition</TD></TR><TR><TD>
<TABLE id=table256 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=75 width="100%" colSpan=2><TABLE id=table257 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25 width=226>NHTSA Campaign Number: </TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25>08V057000</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25>

</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=25 width=226>Manufacturer </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=25 colSpan=2>FORD MOTOR CO.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25 width=226>Recall Date: </TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25 colSpan=2>FEB 04, 2008</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=25 width=226>Potential Number Of Units Affected: </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=25 colSpan=2>57199</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=30 width="16%">Description</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=30 width="84%">FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:FUEL RAIL</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=50 width="16%">Summary</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=50 width="84%">FORD IS RECALLING 57,199 MY 2006-2007 E-150, E-250, E-350, AND MY 2007 EXPEDITION AND LINCOLN NAVIGATOR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 5.4L ENGINES. THE FUEL RAIL CROSS-OVER HOSE MAY CONTAIN WEAK AREAS. AS A RESULT, THE HOSE MAY CRACK, WHICH COULD CAUSE A FUEL ODOR AND/OR FUEL LEAK.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=50 width="16%">Consequence</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=50 width="84%">FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=50 width="16%">Remedy</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=50 width="84%">DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL RAIL ASSEMBLY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 3, 2008. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
SPEED CONTROL RECALL,<TABLE id=table145 border=1 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#000000 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#000000>RECALL: 1997 - 2002 Ford Expedition</TD></TR><TR><TD>
<TABLE id=table146 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=75 width="100%" colSpan=2><TABLE id=table147 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25 width=226>NHTSA Campaign Number: </TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25>05V388000 </TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25>

</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=25 width=226>Manufacturer </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=25 colSpan=2>FORD MOTOR CO.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25 width=226>Recall Date: </TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=25 colSpan=2>09/07/05</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=25 width=226>Potential Number Of Units Affected: </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=25 colSpan=2>3,800,000</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=30 width="16%">Description</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=30 width="84%">CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH / VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=50 width="16%">Summary</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=50 width="84%">ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SPEED CONTROL, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=50 width="16%">Consequence</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=50 width="84%">A FIRE AT THE SWITCH COULD OCCUR.</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=50 width="16%">Remedy</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffcc height=50 width="84%">BY LETTER DATED SEPTEMBER 12, 2005, OWNERS WERE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN THEIR VEHICLES TO THEIR DEALERS TO HAVE THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH DISCONNECTED. OWNERS WHO HAVE HAD THEIR SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATED ARE BEING NOTIFIED THAT PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE AND ADVISED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO RECONNECT THE SPEED CONTROL BEGINNING IN FEBRUARY 2006. OWNERS WHO DID NOT HAVE THEIR SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATED ARE BEING NOTIFIED TO HAVE THEIR SYSTEM REMEDIED BEGINNING IN FEBRUARY 2006. OWNERS ARE URGED TO AVAIL THEMSELVES OF THE FREE DISCONNECT SERVICE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF THE SIGNIFICANT RISK OF FIRE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Salvage vehicle's are just that,"SALVAGE",i would not want to buy one as this example show's,some schmuck could have walked in,bought the thing from you and parked it in in his garage,......not your shop!!!......,and burned up his home,.....hopefully with out his family inside the house,... it will now end up where it should have been in the 1'st place,the CRUSHER,before someone get's hurt/killed,buyer beware,.....SEE BELOW....
What is a Salvage Vehicle?
A salvage vehicle is one that has been wrecked or damaged, and the owner, insurance company, financial institution or leasing company considers it too expensive to repair.
For example, in cases where the insurance company determines the vehicle a "total loss salvage", it pays the owner the pre-collision value of the vehicle and forwards the certificate of ownership, the license plates and a required fee to the DMV. The DMV then issues a salvage certificate for the vehicle.
The vehicle may subsequently be repaired and re-registered with the DMV. It is then classified as a "revived salvage" or "salvaged" vehicle.

Why should consumers be cautious if they are considering buying a salvage vehicle? "READ THIS"
  • A salvage vehicle may have been seriously wrecked or damaged.
  • Some salvage vehicles have been repaired with stolen parts, have poor quality parts, or have unsatisfactory repair work done...........this could be the cause of your fire,.........before anyone jump's all over my XYZ for this post,"HOW WOULD YOU LIKE THAT THING PARKED IN YOUR GARAGE WITH YOU KID'S SLEEPING IN THE HOUSE.

Last edited by poppie; 02-24-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
ribeiro203
New User
Dear Poppie.
Thank you for for reply to my post.
I do not want to get into the pros and cons of a salvage vehicle. Everyone has an oppinion and I respect that. There are poeple like me who do not care about salvage and there are a lot of that do.
Anyway, my whole point is that Ford determined that any vehicle, even the salvage ones, are eligible for the recall, as Ford itself said:

"TITLE BRANDED / SALVAGED VEHICLES
Affected title branded and salvaged vehicles are eligible for this Field Service Action."

from the 3rd page of this ford document: http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2008/V/RCMN-08V057-7691.pdf

My point is that this vehicle had a defect component which should have been replaced a long time ago according to thi recall. Ford did not issue a recall for this vehicle, even though it felt on the category of the date and location of production. Recall was for Expeditions made on the Michigan plant between 08/14/06 and 12/22/06. My Expedition was made on November 2006 at the same Michigan plant.

Now, is it my fault?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Again, why are you talking to us and not a lawyer? And I don't mean to offend you with that statement.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:56 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
stuff happens...time to move on and be glad no one was hurt. Claim it on your insurance and let them go after ford. That's what you pay them for (if you have it).

Salvage title makes me wonder if something was wrong with the truck on the repair end that caused this issue. I personally don't even want to drive next to a vehicle with a salvage title let alone in one. 99% of the time they aren't repaired properly and were totaled for a reason.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:24 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
stuff happens...time to move on and be glad no one was hurt. Claim it on your insurance and let them go after ford. That's what you pay them for (if you have it).

Salvage title makes me wonder if something was wrong with the truck on the repair end that caused this issue. I personally don't even want to drive next to a vehicle with a salvage title let alone in one. 99% of the time they aren't repaired properly and were totaled for a reason.
^^^^+1 on that. Since you have a dealership / shop, do you have an LLC? Let the attorneys and the insurance companies man the battle field.

I'm very happy to read th at no one was injured. Trucks are machines and are built every day.