West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

snow for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After this week's warm-ish temps, I can see grass a couple places again too.

I noticed right along the front side of my place you can see grass again. The next morning I noticed an abundance of deer tracks around there. They're searching high and low for anything other than snow. I've even seen them eating small pine limbs. Been a rough winter for them.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually as far as thinking to much, we considered a snow melter back in 03 after the Presidents day snow storm.
Right up till we priced them.

Notice the fuel tank on the front.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YoCP-Q6l9m...now+melter.jpg

Here are a few more specs on a unit that big.
Six 9,000,000 BTU burners for a total BTU output of 54 million BTU.
3000 gallon fuel tank
Can melt 180 tons per hour.

PS, 54 million BTU's per hour equals 420 gallons of diesel per hour, so that is $1200 per hour for fuel for the melter alone.

Snow Dragon snowmelters

Here is a baby 30 tons per hour at a purchase cost of 250,000 dollars in operation in Iowa.

YouTube - Snow Dragon Eats 30 Tons Of Snow Per Hour

When you look at how much they cost, and how much the operating expenses are for a piece of equipment that may get used every three ot four years, not a very good investment.

Some place like Buffalo NY, where the almost constant lake effect has them burried all winter every winter, not such a bad deal.

This far south, trucking would be a much better deal as long as you have a place to dump snow.
That is still not a cheap thing to do, but much better than since the melter is not just collecting dust for several years at a time.

If we would have bought one in 2003, it would have been taking up space sitting somewhere till this year.