1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Looking at a 65.. Need help with value and what to offer

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
TSHampton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 65.. Need help with value and what to offer

Ok so I've been loking for a good deal on a f-100 for a while now and I came across this one after looking at a 76 and a 71 model this past week. My favorite style is the Slick but I have been open to a 67-71 and last the 73-79's. I really was wanting to find something for 1500 or less then do some work. I was just wanting some input on how much you guys would pay for this pickup, I don't want to pay too much. I know more information is needed and hopefully i will have some by tomorrow.

Here is the Ad:
1965 Ford F-100 Truck runs 390 engine automatic transmission with b&m speed shifter in the floor.New tires drum brakes have been completly overhauled and replaced.Small transmission leak from rear seal.Great canidate for restoration some rust but no major dents.Front end completly rebuilt,steering colum rebuilt with new wiring harness installed all lights and turn signals work.I had all body to frame mounts replaced.Started restoration process but wife got sick can't finish project.This truck will be a nice toy for a ford lover to play with.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:44 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Thanks for not posting huge photos, what is the seller asking for the truck, and where is the location?

John

Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read this: trkvalue

Not really enough to go on. The standard "390? Yeah right..." response may apply. Every 352 in one of these is mistakenly called a 390. Since there's absolutely no way to tell without measuring the stroke, assume it's a 352.

Body condition is utmost in determining value. Rusty trucks should not be bothered with as projects, trust me. If it's needing floors, core support, hood, drip rail repair, inner fenders etc you can do better if you find a nicer one. It isn't that much more expensive to buy a solid truck, bit it is tons more expensive to 'restore' a rusty one.

Don't settle for less than a Slick if that's what you really want. I almost made that mistake myself when I started looking at bumpsides. Nothing against them, but a Slick is what I really wanted. Glad I was patient and got one.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM
TSHampton
New User
John the truck is in Murfreesboro, TN about 30 minutes up the road from me. I'm there all the time have class there as well. Here in TN it is hard to find a good deal on these trucks without them being farm trucks, and if paint is decent you can garauntee they will be upwards of 2000 even if mechanically its a peice of $#!+. Anyways, the guy is asking 2500, I only want to spend 1- 1500.

There is another one I found in Alabama that i'm waiting for pictures on and more information once I get that i'll post it as well and see what you guys think. For now I would love the truck to run and be a weekend/trash run truck. I would like to be doing minor body repairs for now but nothing major until I get a larger place to work on it. Eventually whatever I choose I will do a Frame-off resto/mod...... O and none of that drop/chop mod just the minor things.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
While I don't think $2500.00 is beyond reason for that truck, I do think a truck like that can be found at your asking.

The big thing that you have to keep in mind, that is not the only truck out there for sale or that can be bought.

Go see the truck, drive it, mumble, grumble, **** & moan. Tell him you have to think about it some more, because you love the truck but don't have that much money, and leave him your phone number.

After another week or so he might take your offer.

John

Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
TSHampton
New User
yeah I think thats what I am going to do. I have been looking for a while now so I'm not going to rush into anything. Thanks for the advice.

David thanks for the article I read through it.

I really messed up back in september and did't buy one I could have gotten for 750 running strong but was just ugly with flames and a few rust spots. I ended up looking at a few others and wasted too much time. I'm hping to find something for a good deal again like that eventually. The guy was asking 1200 for it after fixin a few things but wsa still going to honor the price we worked out. I've been kickin myself for that one a while now.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Rusty 63
Senior User
Searchtempest dot com & run a craiglist search...