New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDIot siick pic

Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MR_BKS87
1991 f350 dually. currently a service truck to fix tractor trailers and aautomobiles. .str8 work horse. I paid $1300 for it. 7.3, auto.Hydro boost and rear disc. soon to have a rear underlift or "under reach" tow unit . P.O stated flexplate was bad..or the flywheel as he called it. LOL. solid mule mang!
that's not an f350.shes an F-super duty. AKA F-450 brother.

work mule is right.

The F-Super Duty 1987-97 (the original super duty prior to '99 pickups) was introduced to bridge the gap from the F350 to medium duty trucks. It was a commercial cab & chassis 2WD dually only optioned truck.They came with 460 gas engines all through the production run, with the optional 7.3l idi diesel engine from introduction through '94,then the optional 7.3l di (power stroke) diesel from '94.5 - '97.
Known at the time as the "One Ton Plus." It sports a HD frame,the hydroboost brake system w/ 4 wheel disc brakes.Though they are 2WD trucks,they are equipped with 4WD transmissions but,rather than a transfer case,they come with a drive line emergency/parking brake. A HD dana 80 rear axle that came from ford with gear ratio options intended for two purposes; heavy hauling & towing.They came in various wheelbase lengths with up to a 15,000 LB GVWR.It's widely known as the F-450 equivalent with many auto stores listing parts under either name.
These trucks are easy to spot with their pickup size cabs,yet unique F-Super Duty fender emblems & 10 lug wheels.
axle code 72 = 4.63
axle code 73 = 5.13

Old 07-08-2015, 06:58 PM
MR_BKS87
New User
ha! I've been telling all the guys at the parts store.... they are trying to tell me it's no way I have rear disc unless swapped. ::I feel like this is the introduction to a secret society: :LOL 😆😚so you know what I know huh? P.O even said it was a 450 aka SD

Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^ Um, what does the TITLE say?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
that's not an f350.shes an F-super duty. AKA F-450 brother.

work mule is right.

The F-Super Duty 1987-97 (the original super duty prior to '99 pickups) was introduced to bridge the gap from the F350 to medium duty trucks. It was a commercial cab & chassis 2WD dually only optioned truck.They came with 460 gas engines all through the production run, with the optional 7.3l idi diesel engine from introduction through '94,then the optional 7.3l di (power stroke) diesel from '94.5 - '97.
Known at the time as the "One Ton Plus." It sports a HD frame,the hydroboost brake system w/ 4 wheel disc brakes.Though they are 2WD trucks,they are equipped with 4WD transmissions but,rather than a transfer case,they come with a drive line emergency/parking brake. A HD dana 80 rear axle that came from ford with gear ratio options intended for two purposes; heavy hauling & towing.They came in various wheelbase lengths with up to a 15,000 LB GVWR.It's widely known as the F-450 equivalent with many auto stores listing parts under either name.
These trucks are easy to spot with their pickup size cabs,yet unique F-Super Duty fender emblems & 10 lug wheels.
axle code 72 = 4.63
axle code 73 = 5.13
I have seen 4x4 models as well over the years. They were tall trucks

Old 07-10-2015, 07:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pgg00
I have seen 4x4 models as well over the years. They were tall trucks
yeah there are some out there.ford didn't offer them though.they have been converted by co's who specialize in doing such things like quigley and marmon-herrington.

for some great eye candy,click the links:

http://www.silverstatespecialties.co...450_4x4_01.jpg

http://www.silverstatespecialties.co...50_4x4_01a.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1324835971

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1324835971

http://images21.fotki.com/v760/photo...ca10918-vi.jpg

the drawback with those conversions however are very hard to source (and or expensive) parts when something breaks.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:24 AM
74dailydriver
Senior User
Traded a motorcycle for a 85 f350. The vin leads me to believe that it was a Canadian built 2wd cab and chassis dually 6.9 when new. Now it's a 7.3 turbo srw 4x4 flatbed 5 speed. First diesel that I've owned and I like it more then any other that I've driven (2000 f350 7.3 auto, 80ish chev 6.5, and merc 300d)

The powertrain swap install is rough, and I'll probably be redoing some things.

I valued my bike at around 3k so I guess you could say that's what I paid for the truck.

The way I got it. The drive home (San Jose to Sacramento) was high revving to say the least

Immediately after getting home I put my alcoas with 33" coopers on it, still looked goofy to me

So then I went and bought some 37"s

37"s being installed. One had a sidewall puncture, so I held off on the front two until I can return that one.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:00 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ OBS doors, and the trim clears the slantnose dash? Who knew?

Another four-tone.....

Old 07-15-2015, 11:39 AM
74dailydriver
Senior User
Is that what's going on? I knew there was something weird with the doors. I have zero knowledge of bullnose/obs bodies.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:56 PM
dropitlow88
Senior User
Gave $1700 for this thing. had a bad rear end with a good one in the bed. had super chalky oxidized paint but the body was is good condition for it's age and location. '94 with factory ATS turbo, 155K miles. took a lot of nickel and dime stuff to get it 100% again but i love this old thing.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:09 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
nice deal.did it buff out or repaint? sure looks great now.

for the bit of rust down on the bottom of the front bumper,you can get rid of most of that by rubbing it out with tin foil.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:35 AM
dropitlow88
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
nice deal.did it buff out or repaint? sure looks great now.

for the bit of rust down on the bottom of the front bumper,you can get rid of most of that by rubbing it out with tin foil.
thanks! the bumper is actually rusted through, tiny pin holes. I spent a few hours buffing it. I usually buff it twice a season or it loses it's sheen. I would love to get it painted as the fenders have peeling clear coat and the driver side it pretty chipped up. pics hide a lot of the small imperfections.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1987 F250 XLT Lariat Super Cab 2WD 6.9L non-turbo C6, Tow Package, 3:55 gears, 8500lb+ rated, Banks PowerPack intake/ exhaust/ EGT gauge. Red Interior, seat upholstery needs replaced. Right side electric window and lock not working properly Fist sized dent below L. rear tail light- too complicated to explain here. Paint is oxidized and chipping off, what's left can buff out nicely, it's also dirty in the photo, some spots of light surface rust on the top, only a few small dents about 1"-2". Under-carriage looks really good- light rust. XLT Lariat tag missing on R. side, bumper mounting bracket slightly bent apparently from pulling something hooked to the bottom of the bumper. Front tires diameter is smaller than specification but I got good tires of correct size with the truck. Fuel tank senders don't work - just the ground at the rear tank and needs front end alignment Other items will surely need some attention/repair/replacement as this is a 28 year old truck.

Low Price certainly isn't all to consider. A good truck is worth paying a fair price for if you have the money. I didn't but I got lucky. See the details below:

Purchase price, Feb. 2015: $1500. plus title transfer/new plates and without the canopy. I have a total of $2,500. into it so far with more to go.
Great Truck! Well worth whatever $ I can put into it (or so I imagine because it's the only way I could afford to have a nice truck)

All the money I had was $1,800.00

I need a truck to load up plus tow loaded 5x10 3500# trailer over several mountain ranges when I move out of this State (as soon as I can). For weeks I looked at every diesel pickup on craigslist within 250 miles of Seattle (and in a few other states for comprisons) while getting opinions from an old timer diesel mechanic friend. In this area prices tend to be quite high to very high. This truck was an exception. Asking price was $1500, claimed mileage 111k miles. I figured 211k which was fine but I've since obtained the title history, examined the truck in detail with a retired professional mechanic and the 111k might actually be a true claim! It's a close call leaning in favor of the 111k miles claim but I'm happy either way.

I tried to contact owner by phone message - no reply, so I figured the truck had been sold and I moved on.
A week later, discussing all of the trucks I (and my friend) had looked at in the ads, he said, "I liked that silver/charcoal gray one." I did too! The ad was still up, I called and was able to speak with owner. He was working and living at a location not close to the truck and wanted to show it days later, which is probably why the truck had not sold yet -other potential buyers had probably moved on.

I wanted THAT truck, everything about it seemed right for me, including the color and I didn't care about the low mileage claim. It was 8:00 PM, the owner was a one hour drive from me so I said, "I will buy your truck sight-unseen right now and drive to your location and give you the money." He called me back 20 minutes later and told me he'd show me the truck the next day at 1:00 PM.

I got there 1/2 hour early (always a good idea) and he and his wife were struggling to get the truck started, jumping the relay with a screw driver. One battery was junk/dead. He told me it had a bad relay but the real problem was a broken actuator lever in the upper steering column. It had been sitting for at least a year or two. We put his car battery in it to finally get it started. Seemed to run OK and it moved forward and backward. He didn't want me to test drive it on the road because the tabs had expired a year before. I took a chance and I'm glad I did.

I didn't realize what a good truck I was getting until I researched it quite extensively. In my personal opinion this 1987 XLT Lariat Super Cab model with all of the options s the top of the line with the best IDI non-turbo Diesel that Ford ever produced, that model year having the updated roller rockers and solid state controller like the 7.3s and thicker cylinder walls.* The extra bonus is the Banks Power Pack installation, more air intake, larger exhaust 'Y' and EGT gauge.

*That point about 'best' can certainly be argued so I probably shouldn't have made the statement. Less power and less fuel economy than turbo 7.3s but the 87 6.9L may be more durable, less problems and easier to work on. It's the best and last of the 6.9L. It's hard enough for me to work on the basic engine without adding the complexities of a turbo charger so for my intended use it's the best of the IDIs.

After I replaced the junk battery, return fuel lines, glow plugs, two GP harness tips, actuator in the column, a bent rim on the rear (vibration on highway) with rear brake adjustment by Les Schwab tire shop for convenience, transmission cooler upgrade with change to full synthetic fluid plus a true MAGNEFINE external filter, and whatever else I did, this truck runs great!!!! It doesn't smoke. (under normal driving conditions at least- I always drive efficiently to save from unnecessary wear and tear on parts and from wasting fuel, which pays off) When I need power on a steep hill it's there like magic!! I haven't pulled a load yet but I know how to drive a diesel and I avoid overloading with fuel, I just let the engine work with optimum fuel air mixture. The truck seems to be precision tuned for California emissions (or to hide from them) as it is a California sunshine truck. The Banks Power Pack set up definitely helps with more air into the intake. Don't remove the deep dish from your stock air cleaner thinking you will get more air, (an often suggested modification) it's there to increase pressure and velocity of the air into the the intake. Engineers worked that out. Gale Banks refined that function in the larger Power Pack air cleaner (heavy cast aluminum with a deep dish and he's a renowned expert for getting more air into engines for efficiency and performance.

I have quite a bit of work to do to restore this truck to look and run like new and that is my intent. I am on low income Social Security Disability so that will take quite awhile but next year I'll receive a small inheritance that will pay for whatever else is needed then, including new seat upholstery and a high quality paint job with some custom highlights (I'll probably do that myself) and hopefully install a used gear vendors over-drive. That will surely put this truck above the 7.3s without one. I hope to add a 5th wheel hitch and a suitable smaller size 5th wheel RV trailer and do some travelling. (Smaller trailer so I can park it in very remote small campsites)

If I had money I would buy a nice truck that doesn't need work but as fate would have it, I don't have the money so this is the best I can do to have a nice truck. It's my dream of a nice truck and I intend to make it so. I should have washed it and buffed it out before taking the photo to make it look better but Soon I'll touch up the paint where it is peeled off, feathering it out and using spray cans (I know how to paint) because I hate driving an ugly truck. This truck does not deserve to be seen as ugly.

If an IDI is beautiful and makes noise everyone accepts it as a cool diesel truck that is doing something important to justify the clatter from the injectors but if the same truck is paint-ugly and makes noise, there's a much different perception and I don't want that.

I'm passionate about restoring this truck and at my age (65) it's probably my last substantial project. I hope I can make it to some IDI meet-ups so my truck can be photographed in the parade with other nice vintage and custom IDIs.

If I don't make it I hope the next owner will.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 PM
Skipjack picador
New User
'89 7.3 non-turbo 5spd extra cab 135k everything works had a snug top shell. The paint above the belt line faded (silver) but below the belt line (red) in great condition. New tires $2600

Old 09-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjack picador
'89 7.3 non-turbo 5spd extra cab 135k everything works had a snug top shell. The paint above the belt line faded (silver) but below the belt line (red) in great condition. New tires $2600

WOW! THAT is a Beautiful Truck!!
I can't imagine that being the original paint, even for California, due to almost 3 decades of exposure to sunny climate, unless it was parked under a carport or in a garage. Did you buff out that paint? Wax it or polish it?
I know that works and I have to do it because my paint is so ugly but there is hardly enough silver paint left on the upper side to justify doing it right away because I do plan to put a nice quality paint job on it.

A professional mechanic from Las Vegas told me that silver paint of that era was especially noted for premature deterioration and peeling. (like on my 87 which I think is right above yours.). Mine is also a California truck until the past 5 years. I've seen that on many different vehicles with silver paint. AHA! Upon closer inspection of your photo I see some of that peeling by the door and also a film of oxidation rust under the driver's window. Mine has some of that surface rust film also, mostly on the top.

I would especially like to know what you have to do with these IDI diesels in California under the strict emissions laws?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for your IDI?